Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Could You Taught Your Self Eating Slowly?

m still cant accomadate eating slowly and chewing well

ialways firget ti do that

and thats cause stomach ache

I would take a small bite, chew at least 30 times (yes, count each chew) and then wait a minute to see how that bite went down. If it was good, I would do it again. If I didn't think it was OK, I stopped.

Yes, sometimes it took me half an hour to eat 3 ounces of food, but I got through it.

Good luck!

Tiny plates, forks, spoons and cups. You can buy cocktail dinnerware at WilliamsSonoma, Pier1 OR you could even use doll dishes in a pinch.

hi sallynew

a couple of times at the way beginning - i also ate too fast- or didn't chew well. Boy did i learn my lesson the hard way, my stomach also hurt.

theres not a choice, you have to eat slowly and you have to chew your food into small pieces.

You had major surgery to help your weight situation, the sleeve is only a tool - you have to follow the rules. just have to tell yourself to eat slowly, wait 2-3 mintues between bites, and chew & chew food into small pieces.

good luck

kathy

Tiny silverware, and with my band I taught myself to chew until I didn't really need to swallow. The food will just sort of go down as it becomes chewed enough. Also cutting food into tiny bites, so I can't take too big of a bite at once.

My 46 year old habit of gulping food has been a challenge for me to overcome. My wife always gets after me because I'm still eating too fast. The uncomfortable signal has helped train me to some degree. If I chew too long the saliva production goes into hyper-drive and it gags/grosses me out. Yeah I know, it's a mental thing for me.

I really struggle with this too! It's a problem that I bring on myself because I let myself get super hungry before I take the time to eat....so when I do I just shovel it in. I did it just last night & 10 min later I had to pull over my car & throw up on the side of the road. I feel like such an idiot for doing this time & time again. Actually, I feel like a sleeve failure. I told myself last night that I am going to realllly work on this. I need to eat.in the day, but I get super busy & I'm not very hungry.....then by the time my household is ready for dinner I am soooo hungry. I am going to have to put a 3 hour timer to force myself to stop & eat. Protein Shakes don't seem to stave off the hunger for me either. I'll feel full after about 10 oz of a 14 oz rtd then starved 2 hours later. I'm about 10 weeks out & realize I still have so much work to do still to readjust my bad habits!!

And btw- I am one of the ding dongs that thought this would be easy! I *ass-umed* (spelling intended) that I would be magically no longer hungry, made sick by any sugar.consumption & unable to overeat. WRONG!! Just a tool, just.a tool, just.a tool.......my new mantra.

I havent gotten into the actual eating phase yet. but I bought at Pier 1, small tasting dishes & spoons. I also bought a small timer (target kitchen gadget section) and I have it timed to 30 seconds so I can learn when I have chewed enough. Hopefully the practice I did before surgery is going to help me.

I always cut up my food into small pieces and after putting some in my mouth I put down my cutlery. Chew for a count of at least 30. Then swallow. The more you do it the easier it gets. I haven't been sick or had the slimes or even got uncomfortable yet. Practise, practise, practise.

I'm SO guilty of doing this. I ate too much, too fast tonight and had to race home sliming out the window all of the way then I really lost it when I got home. I am just not totally in the habit yet of eating small bits and slooooowing down.

I'm also here to admit that I sucked the flavoring off of Cool Ranch Dorito chips and threw the chips in the trash. I just wanted the salty taste soooo bad!