Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Sleeved!

I got my sleeve yesterday! Since this is technically an April group, I'm guessing I am the first to go so I wanted to give you all a play by play so you are prepared.

My friend dropped me off at the surgery center and she had to go to work when I went back with the nurses. The nurses made me take another pregnancy test, I changed, got an I.V. in and the nurses continued to ask questions. I was happy I got to keep on my undies! Then I started to cry and the nurse, Mary, held my hand and talked me through my feelings. I told her I felt alone, but then I realized all my friends were texting me with their support, since they were all at work, that was the best way for them to support me at the time.

Next, the anesthesiologist came in and asked me the same questions. I received a nausea patch behind me ear, which will stay for three days. Then my doctor came and signed some papers. At 7:06 they rolled me into the operating room. My I.V. was loaded up, I switched tables and don't remember anything until I woke up. The nurses woke me up as I was being wheeled out, they said it was done so I started crying, tears of joy, I just couldn't believe I got my sleeve! Brody, one of the nurses said I had to calm down because crying is going to hurt. So I magnificently recovered quickly.

I think I might have tried sleeping next, but all I could feel was the gas. This was the only thing that was hurting. I could literally feel a ball of gas start at my stomach and work its way up my esophagus. It was like labor, when you hurt for two or three minutes then your fine, then you hurt again. That was all I was feeling, the air bubble went all the way up to my shoulder and stopped. The nurse made me get up and walk, I was hoping the air bubble would travel up and out, but it doesn't work like that. She said any gas from my mouth or opposite end is my gas. The gas from the surgery travels north then settles in the right or even both shoulders to finally escape through my pores. Honestly, that's all the pain I was feeling. I did feel nauseas so the nurse gave me some more meds and a puke tray. I rested more and got another I.V. I walked a few times to help the gas, but I don't think it helped. Nurse said gas-x might help or a warm compress.

I was then released, no idea what time. I had my pillow strapped in the seatbelt with me so it would bother my incisions. At home I went for my pain meds. The prescription says 15 ml every 4-6 hours. I could barely get 10ml down, and my stomach did a "throw up" like movement. I'm not sure if it was because that was too much or because I was nauseas and the meds were so gross. I didn't take my other meds because I knew throwing up meant I was full, but I was so disappointed in myself that I had gotten to that point already. I just never, ever thought I wouldn't be able to take my prescribed dose all at once. Now I do 5ml in between drinking.

I rested until my best friend came over; she brought me a hot compress for my gas, at this point, that was the only thing hurting. I did keep walking around between naps. I made an ENS Protein Drink, the taste is fine to me, but I barely got in one ounce. I was also drinking Water, probably 3 ounces, and then the gurgles set it. Oh the gurgles.

Around 7 p.m. I could do nothing but gurgle; I was really thirsty but stopped taking sips because I didn't know what was happening with the gurgles. The gurgles felt like they were coming from my esophagus, I wasn't sure if that was heartburn from my Protein drink, the gas, or a symptom of being full. Even though I was so thirsty, I stopped drinking, and then felt the gurgles in my sleeve. After I peed leprechaun green pee, I finally went to bed, I think I am doing well for what my body has just been through.

Today I am a little sore, it is hard to get up from lying down, my incisions hurt a little, but I still have some gas I think, and the gurgles. Really I just feel like I have period cramps. I have slowly been taking 5ml of lortab for the pain, not sure if the meds are really working or if I'm just not in that much pain, either way I am grateful. I am also trying to take a total of 20ml of carafate to prevent ulcers, but so far today I have gotten 5 down.

I am just so thirsty, I am drinking but I can't guzzle to fulfill my thirst. I am slowly drinking a few sips of Protein, and then wait, and then Water mixed with Vitamins and Calcium, then repeat. I am on full liquids so after I stopped drinking for a half an hour I scooped out 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt. I mixed my Protein Drink in to thin it out and got down about 3/4, about five minutes later I burped so I knew I was done. Now I'm continuing to relax, walk around, and drink. Everything is okay so far.

Thanks so much for keeping us posted!! I'm glad you let us know what it was like for you after surgery and glad it all went well. I've heard so much about the gas pains and that they hurt worse than the surgery itself. Hang in there! I've heard the first few weeks are a battle, but after that everything gets a lot easier. Can't wait to hear more from you. Congratulations!!

Wow- thanks for the detailed info! Makes me feel better on what to expect.

The gurgles are freaking me out- im getting sleeved on Wednesday and going back to work on Tuesday and I work one-on-one with my clients in a quiet environment and am kinda nervous if I am going to be making all kinds of wacky noises and they will be all wierded out!

Have you noticed one thing over another that gives you the gurgles more? Say clear broth vs. Protein Drinks or Water vs. tea?

Cheers and congratulations on a successful sleeve!

-Kat

I was sleeved this Wednesday. 2 days post-op and trying to figure things out. Almost every time I sip when it hits my belly it gurgles with occassional pain. I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until I could hold down Water every 15mins for 4 hours ! I guess that was a blessing to me so I knew how to start taking fluids. Today is the first day drinking on my own. I have such conflicting paperwork on whether or not I should have a Protein Shake. The hospital told me to wait until the latter end of 7 days to drink one, I have paperwork I got from the doc that says I must have Protein daily.

Right now, I am really scared. I WANT to taste real food on my lips but I know I can't.I can't tell if I'm hungry and I have no idea how much Fluid I have consumed today. Can someone help me with a "plan".

I'm walking a little around the house every hourish or so. I think most of my gas is gone. Any ideas and advice are welcomed !!!

Hi Daniellec,

Here is what my nut told me. If you drink Protein drinks, make sure they need to be clear for the first week. I just ordered the Syntrax Nectar that you mix with Water. She told me to try to get some Protein in the first week, however, if you can't do it, then don't. It would be good to get some protein the first week, but not necessary. When you get to the full liquid stage, then you need to worry about your Protein Drinks. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much ! I am going to go find myself some different Protein today. All I have is Protein Shake Protein Powder.< /p>

Cmullinvegas, thanks for the great post! I know we all appreciate the information. I hope you are continuing to improve with each passing day!

4 days out update.

snoho1-I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern with the gurgles, but I seem to have it with everything. My carafate medicine, Vitamins, Water, Protein drinks, and the Soup I get to "eat". Some noises are louder than others, it hurts for a second and then I feel better after I gurgle. The gurgle does make me slow down.

The gas pain is completely gone. Sometimes my incisions hurt just a tad. I do have a pain under my left breast though. It feels like I ran too much and need a break. I didn't take any pain meds today though sometimes I feel a little nauseas and did take my nausea medicine yesterday.

daniellec-I am working on my plan. I am a teacher and right now I am on spring break, when I return to work next week I will be much more rigorous with my schedule. I am trying to figure out how to eat, stopping a half hour before and an hour and a half later, getting in all my Vitamins, drinking 90-100 grams of Protein, and 64 ounces of liquid.

My first protein drink after surgery took two sips to fill me. I burped so I thought that was the singnal. My nutritionist said to sip protein, Water, and repeat. Yet, I could barely get in 20 grams of protein and half my fluids. I read from a post on this blog I can drink 2-4oz every hour three days after surgery. 3 days to 3 weeks after surgery I can drink 4-6oz every hour. It is impossible to drink this slowly to get in all my protein and fluids. My nut said, "Everyone is different on this one. I want you sip on 4 ounces of Fluid every 30 minutes. If it's too fast then switch to every 45 minutes. Try sipping on 4 ounces of Fluid (whether it be Protein Shake or water) until it's gone. What we don't want to happen is sip wait 10 minutes, sip wait 15 minutes etc. We don't want to "nurse" on the fluid. We want to sip sip sip until it' gone." I guess I was nursing the fluid and can speed up my intake. I'm just paranoid I am going to mess up my sleeve!

Two things I didn't realize that I would like to share. Getting myself up was really difficult the first few days. Today it's been much easier. When I want to get up from sitting on the toilet, couch, or lying in bed, it takes a ton of effort. If a friend helps me, it's much easier;however, like I said today was the first day I can feel a huge difference. The other thing that's hard is deep breathing. I do have some breathing exercises to do daily because of this.

I am so glad you are keeping us posted. Thanks for the information about the drinking. I'm going to do that when I get home from the hospital. Sounds like you are doing super!!

Thanks atkinsoncl. This morning was rough though :( I woke up in pain and for some reason started crying. I'm still chugging, okay sipping, away and am almost done with my first Protein drink today.

I hope you are feeling better!! Just think, you are on your way to a healthier you! There are also some posts on here about the emotions after surgery. I was very emotional after my first child, my hormones were all out of wack. If that happens to me again, I hope my husband is prepared :) . Good luck on getting all your fluids in today.

Cmullinvegas-

Thank you so much for the details- I hope you feel better and you get some pain meds in.

Good job on the sip-sip-sip!

This is an emotional journey- hopefuly you have a friend or s/o you can emote with... there is NO shame in crying!

-Kat

I have a friend who sobbed uncontrollably at around day 3 or 4 mark. Probably a mix of relief that it's over, nerves about the next few weeks, mixed in with post-anesthesia reaction. She was sleeved at the end of September, is around 84lbs lighter and couldn't be happier! Hang in there you are not crazy, this too will pass:)

Thanks ladies, I have been reading posts all morning. I found tons on the emotional issues. I have some pain on my left side and shoulder and I think I am freaking myself out. I just don't know what pain is normal and what's not. Well one of my friends just dropped off movies and magazines, so it's time to stop thinking about this for now.

Cmullinvegas - thank you for the post. Keep up the good work