Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Sleeve Story - Dr. Rodriguez In Tjuana Mexico (Long, Sorry)

I was sleeved on 3/22 in TJ with Dr. Rodriguez at INT Hospital through Belite Weight. It was... interesting. Not totally amazing, but definitely not a bad experience.

Dr. Rodriguez and team - He is amazing, professional and seems to really care. He held my hand and was very comforting. He and the other doctors all had excellent bedside manners and made me feel safe, cared for, and secure. I saw all three doctors every day. EVERY DAY! Dr. Rodriguez sat with us all on the couches on our last day to answer our questions and joke with us alittle. You sure don't see that from a surgeon in the States! I recommend him 110%. I was sent home with a typed surgical report and a DVD with my swallow test to give to my doctor.

INT Hospital and TJ - The hospital is SMALL and right smack in the middle of downtown TJ. I loved the colorful culture of TJ and was gooning out the wondow of the van and hospital the whole time. The hospital is exceptionally clean and has a comfortable sitting area with alot of windows. All of the Belite people were on the same floor so we all visited with and supported eachother. The facility seems a bit older than we are probably used to in the states, so the beds and other equipment may seem alittle antiquated. It didn't really cause a problem for me, but man, those beds SUCKED. I'm still having back issues 3 days after coming home. Just be aware.

INT Hospital's nursing staff - My only area of complaint. They were horrible. It wasn't just that they didn't speak English (across the board, none of them) but they were condescending, slow, were sleeping during the night shifts, did not check on me at all, almost never took vitals, often had to be reminded of my drug allergy, and who I was and what room I was in.... They were just bad. I'm angry that they basically had to make this review less than stellar. Because of them, I would say see Dr. Rod if you go to Mexico, but try to go to Juarez so it's a different hospital.

Belite Weight - They rocked! Everyone was kind and sweet and accomodating. It was amazing to work with so many people who have also had the surgery. The driver, Alberto was a trip, I enjoyed him very much. He gave us very colorful commentary on the scenery as we drove through TJ. I would reccommend Belite to anyone, absolutely. They also were there each day, making sure that we had everything we needed and just keeping us company. Very real and down to earth folks across the board.

The flight - The San Deigo airport is tiny and very comfortable. It was nice to not have to immediately deal with huge airport chaos upon starting my trip home. I had surgery Thursday night and flew home Saturday afternoon. I made it, but it was rough and I was very uncomfortable. I highly suggest taking an extra day to rest before you fly. I wish I'd taken that extra night in a hotel. Get wheelchair service! Not only does it allow you to jump all of the lines, but it makes sureyou get on the plane first and don't get jostled. I know alot of people said they were up to airport walking when they went home, but I was not! maybe it also is because I was pretty far from home, and had two flights, and over 8 hours of transet time.

My body - I'm doing ok. I have a small amount of pain if I swallow too much, and am struggling to control the acid. I'm also having weird, vivid dreams! I've already lost 8 lbs, and I'm excited to recover and get on with my new workout plans.

Caradina, So happy you made it back safe and sound!!! Praying all is well w/ my surgery at the end of this week too. I leave for Star Medica on Thursday for the sleeve with Dr. Rodriguez. Star Medica is definitely a newer, bigger, cleaner hospital than INT and I'm looking forward to getting this over with!

You are right. Belite is awesome!!! Ishi is hilarious with a lot of energy and I am in constant communication with her. We spoke yesterday and she just made me feel better about it.

It is so funny you have vivid dreams..listen...I haven't had the sleeve yet but I have started having the most vivid and ridiculous dreams ever lol. Wishing you all the best!!!!

My dreams are either about Mexico, or about trying to sort through a mound of huge clothes to try to find something to wear. Of course there were some weird indians or something outside my slider door the whole time... weird dreams. Stupid, weird dreams. LOL I'm also having hot flashes and night sweats like nobodys business.

LMAO!!! Too funny. Yea, in one of mine I had moved to Mexico and was working as a lifeguard on the beach lol. Hey question for you...Not sure if you work and/or took time off from work but do you think it would have been possible for you to return to work in a week ? Thanks! I asked Dr. Rodriguez over the phone and he said yes. But still a little skeptical

I'm back to work today, and it's only been 5 days since my op. I wish I'd taken a full week, but yes, I really think a week is plenty.

Oh, I still have that clothes dream sometimes! Especially since it seems like I cannot get/keep all of my clothes put away. When I do laundry, I have to sort out the stuff that's too big and put it in a pile, then go back and see if any of those clothes can be altered to fit me. Clothes are a never-ending problem right now. The worst is bathing suits. If it fits today, it wont fit in a week. It's embarassing to have to fight the shoulder straps because they are falling off, yet the rest of the suit fits fine right now.

I'm planning to go shopping this week and see if they make a suit that has adjustable straps and decent seam lines that I could adjust as I lose weight. Anyone got suggestions for brands/styles? It would be awesome if I could find one that was built like a wrap dress!

Thanks for posting your story!! I am flying into San Diego April 15th and my surgery is the next day with Dr. Oritz at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana. I can't wait!!! :)

Glad you are feeling better. .I splurged and paid extra for a non-stop flight back into Baltimore. Only two carriers had non-stop flights but I'm just glad I was able to find one. I didn't care about connecting going out but I wanted to make sure I was comfortable on the way back. My surgery is on a Monday and I am flying back on the Friday after so hopefully I will be feeling pretty good by then!

Oh.. as far as bathing suits?? Check out the suits on alwaysforme.com. They are super cute and very figure flattering!!! Very high quality too!!

All the best!

Thanks Barbb! :) I'll check that out! :)

Lissa.... how do you get your BMI ticker to show on the bottom?? I thought I did it right but it just shows a link.... Can you help me??

I'm back to work today, and it's only been 5 days since my op. I wish I'd taken a full week, but yes, I really think a week is plenty.

That is SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD to hear!!!! Thanks!! I feel so pumped now after hearing that!!! Thank you!

oops... I think I figured it out.. duhh..... :)

I am so glad that all of your surgery went well and that you had a great experience except for the nurses. I am surprised that you came home so soon. I had my surgery with Dr Garcia in Tijuana at Mi hospital. I had my surgery on a Monday and I was released from the hospital after lunch on Wednesday. I stayed in the hotel Wednesday and Thursday night to make sure that I was not having any problems. I then flew home on Friday with no problems. I just think that I would stay a couple of days after being released as if you have problems many will show up soon after surgery. I know that my surgery included all of the days that I stayed at the hotel and I did not have to pay extra. I would rather be there and have a problem then to come home so soon and be so far away from my surgeon.