Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Someone Point Me In The Right Direction?

Hi everyone :-)

Please bear with me if this post rambles, but I'm emotionally at a low point and need just a little bit of advice. I was sleeved on 1/24, so I am 8 weeks out. Per my doctor's instructions (in a booklet that he gave me) I have moved from soft food/mushies to "food food" as I call it. I have been basically eating what I was eating during my soft foods phase with some additions when I have to eat out (half of a chicken sandwich w/o the bun, etc). I am getting my fluids in everyday (or close to it), watching my portion sizes and I am at the gym at least 4 days a week. I haven't found any Protein mixes (tried Bariatric Advantage and powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, as well as pre-made shakes) that I can tolerate, so I've been getting my protein from food (so basically VERY low carb). Still, my weight loss has been at a snail's pace. I had my surgery out of state, and have not been able to go back to the doctor since my one week follow-up appointment. I have not been able, obviously, to attend any of my doctor's support group or nutritionist meetings, etc. I am doing this on my own. I feel as if I'm doing everything right, but... I'm so disappointed.

Can someone point me toward some sample menus, meal plans, etc. for this stage of the journey?? Give me some advice on good (not carb loaded) smoothies or just generally aim me in the right direction? I hate to say I'm desperate, but I'm wondering if I'm inadvertently doing something wrong and getting more worried/depressed by the day. This was such a huge investment in so many ways and I want to succeed SO badly!!

Thank you for taking the time to read this :-)

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time right now! I do know that if you go to the forum home on this website that there is a recipe sharing section. Also, I googled some possible recipe/low-carb smoothie websites for you and came up with the links below. I can't guarantee their quality for you but it'll give you a jumping off point for research. Also, you can try going to barnes and noble or Amazon for vsg recipe books.

Another thing is look for support groups in your area. I know that there is one where I live where you do not have to actually be affiliated with a specific doctor in order to go. You can try looking for something like that through your local hospital. Plus you can try googling to see if there are any nutritionists in your area that are experienced in VSG surgery diets.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

http://www.fatsecret.com/Default.aspx?pa=rs&dietid=113755

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/low-carb-smoothies/

recipes.html" rel="external nofollow">http://www.antioxidants-for-health-and-longevity.com/low-carb-smoothie-recipes.html

Advocatemom, I also wanted to add that it's not uncommon to hit some stals at this point. I stalled big time all through my weight loss... up to 4 weeks. It's just now, beginning at around month 8, that I began a more steady, albeit lower, loss. I know sometimes it feels you're doing something wrong! But hang in there! You are doing what you're suppose to. Focus on that and trust the weight will come off. I would suddendly get this big loss; two or three in a row. I think in the beginning especially, our bodies are just making huge adjustments. I just wanted to let you know your experience is not uncommon. I've had it and read lots of people here too. So hang in there!!!!! We're rooting for you!!!!

Lyra, I too wanted to thank you for the great resources posted above!!!

I can't offer much advice, as I am only a week and a half post op. However, try Syntrax nectar. You can buy a variety pack and try different flavors. I'm really happy I found this stuff because it's both gluten and lactose free. And those are two things that make me sick. Plus they're zero sugar, zero carbs.

Protein.html" rel="external nofollow">http://www.bariatricchoice.com/syntrax-grabngo-whey-isolate-protein.html