Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Longs Is Your Pre-Op Diet?

2 weeks here too! On day 2...just keep telling myself I can do it lol.

I had a "lower" BMI but still had to do a two week pre-op diet. It was HARD but later I was happy that I was that much closer to goal.

I think it depends on your surgeon. I'm getting mine through a military hospital and the bariatric department requires 2 weeks full liquids. The day before surgery I will be on clear liquids only. They indicated that there have been cases where they have begun surgery and found that the patient hadn't done enough to shrink his liver so they just closed the patient back up and she had to wait to re-apply.

Today is the first day of my liquid diet. So far, it is awful.

Cynthia

Three weeks with the day before surgery being all liquids. I'm in my third week and 18 lbs down so far. My diet does give me 3 oz of Protein, 2 cups veggies, a pack of oatmeal, 6oz of yogurt, and a sugar free Jello with two shakes. I'm worried about my liver b/c I've eaten more than 3 oz of protein on the weekends (more like 8 or 9). Sat and Sun are HARD

I don't have to start the liquid diet till Fri woohoo. So tonight I ate a big meal with dessert. Now I feel uncomfortable. That won't happen again ever. This forum has been a big help to me. Thank you everyone who has giving me their thoughts and prayers and support. You all are making me feel better about this new way of life.

My pre-op will be for 3 days and I start my pre-op today so good luck to all who will be starting the pre-op diet

My pre-op diet is 2 days. I start on Tuesday, today is my birthday I plan to indulge a lil.

My pre-op diet is 2 days. I start on Tuesday' date=' today is my birthday I plan to indulge a lil.[/quote']

Your smart I should of have my last supper but I did get in my last cocktails lol

I would love to enjoy cocktails, but I'm sick. One of my first questions was about drinking, I'm a voluptuous Irish gal, I can drink too much. I know drinking on a regular basis will hinder my success nor will I be able to drink as much. What is acceptable?

I am on day 4 of a liquid diet (optifast 5 shakes a day). It is miserable. I am not even able to drink 5 shakes a day because it is so gross. I hope that doesnt reduce the effect of liver shrinkage. Any thoughts?

Wow. My doctor must be the weird one. No pre-surgery diet (besides the don't eat 12 hours before the surgery thing). He said it wasn't necessary. Interesting.

Yeah mine too I even offered to do the liquid diet for longer and he said it wasn't necessary

Im having my surgery at a va hospital, but my preop orders will be 1 day of clear liquids and nothing after 12 midnight before surgery

Ok day two of liquids, not to bad except co workers have to sit beside me with their fries and burgers. How rude and yes they know what I'm doing. They will fill differently when I'm healthier than them so ha ha. I found that I miss chewing. So I chew on a Popsicle to help with that. My stomach is growling really loud now. I'm going to make me something to drink now.