Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all! I am gettin sleeved end on April andmy Dr told me of the possibilities of a leak and I meant to ask more questions but of course forgot... I had 7 million other questions haha :-)

How serious is a leak if I do get one? what are the signs of one? How do they fix it? life threatening? I appreciate any info you all have! Thanks everyone!!

I know several people here, including myself, that have had a leak and we had some of the same symptoms but our experiences were all different. I had nausea, fever, pain in my left shoulder..those were the main symptoms that I had. There's been quite a few posts about this topic if you want to try a search to get more info. A leak can be fatal if left untreated. I caught on pretty early. That's why it's important to pay attention to your body after surgery and if something doesn't feel right, call your doctor right away.

My doctor didn't even mention leak, maybe because I originally wanted the band?? Is a leak something I need to be afraid of for the rest of my life? I am so scared when I ate something I am going to cause a leak. Like I just ate egg salad and it isn't sitting well with me and I am going into a panic attack that I am going to cause a leak.. Any insight on this?

I'm sorry, I forgot,,,yes it's fixable. My leak was small and it was due to an area at the top of my stomach where stapling was missed. I was put on tpn (total parenteral nutrition..no food or liquids at all) right away and continued it for over 3 weeks. 9 days in ICU and the rest of the time, at home. It wasn't the greatest experience,,I thought since I wasn't eating or drinking that I would lose weight but I gained 13 pounds that I had already lost so I had to lose that weight twice. It was a long complicated and drawn out process but I am doing much better now.

Please check the complications forum. Most post there to help others. Peace queen good to hear you are doing well now. You are right there are others, Libbe (mememe), JAS, I think Tiffykins and she was a revision from band to sleeve. Dani, other things can happen...stricture, and for me I had an abscess. Basically, infection followed the drain line down towards my stomach and caused me to need a second surgery after two weeks of being sleeved. I now have a large scar accross my belly but, small price to pay. I was fortunate the abscess did not go into my paretenial cavity, it would have been bad. So please know, you must weigh this surgery for yourself. For me, my comormidities were going to kill me if I did not get healthy.

I would do it again even with my complication.

Thank y'all for the info :-) I didn't realize there was a complication forum so thanks :-) Glad you guys are doing good now!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches