Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Drive Home After Endoscopy?

Hi guys

I'm having endoscopy next Thursday and was wondering if I'll be able to drive home afterwards? I don't have any family here and don't have any friends I could ask, and it's impossible to get a taxi without booking weeks in advance, and obviously I don't know what time I'll need it for, so it's not an option. I live about an hour's drive from the hospital. The doctor said I'll be awake during the procedure - which I'm dreading! Right now though I'm more worried about how I'm going to get home!

Oh, wow...you'll be awake? They put me to sleep so I def had to have someone drive me home. Although the drug they used on me wore off really quickly. I felt good enough that I could have driven myself home. If they're not putting you under then I'm really not sure. Sorry!

I've had a couple and they would not even do the procedure unless someone was there to take me home - NO DRIVING.

Not a chance in heck. I woke up from my my endo in so much pain they had to give me morphine through my IV. Thank god I was admitted so I didn't have to worry about getting home.

I had propofol for my endo 2 weeks ago and after an hour of being awake I am sure I could have driven home. They wouldnt even think of letting me though - I had a ride lined up anyway. I had no pain and I dont remember a thing. I hope you can find a ride :(

I Agree with Rootman, they will not let have the procedure unless a driver stays with you. And youre technically not allowed to drive the rest of the day due to the Versed and Fentanyl you are given. I have had 3 Endoscopys and honestly I feel 100% normal 1 hour after

No driving & no cab!!!! If you really have no one who can help you, you might have to consider hiring a sitter who can take you, wait for you & then take you home! It seems like a real pain, but it might be your only choice! Good luck!!!

My ride dropped me off and the nurse called her to come pick me up when I was ready. We have two small children so I sent her home with them. A nurse walked me out when she got there and made sure I wasn't getting into the drivers seat!

No, if they are decent, they will knock you out for the procedure and then keep you there for like an hour later. You're only out like 10-15 minutes but the stuff has to exit your system enough so you can walk. They won't let you drink for 30 minutes either. Definitely, you will need a taxi because they will not let you drive.

If you're considering a cab, call the facility where you're having your procedure & make sure that they allow you to leave in a cab. Mine won't! I'm sure their thinking behind that is, you can't get in a cab while you're under the influence of sedatives & they don't want to be held responsible if anything happened to you.

I'm a registered nurse and have worked in several endoscopy units. I have only seen a handful of people have and EGD cold turkey without any sedation other than a spray to knock out the gag reflex.

Most EGD's are done with moderate sedation using a narcotic and a sedative hypnotic like versed. Propofol is administered by either CRNA's or Anestheologist only in Texas. It is against the nurse practice act for nurses to give it for procedural sedation here.

I have never seen a facility allow a patient to drive home or go home in a cab without someone else in attendance to look after them. The hospital would assume a huge libility either way. You actually should not drive for 24 hours following the sedation, you would be considered to be impaired and could be charged with DUI.