Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Want To Lose A Size!

Ok, whine, whine, whine. I'm 5 weeks out and losing slowly. First of all, I'm really fat!! Shouldn't I be losing fast??? Ok, I know... However, I went on low carb before my surgery and between that, the liquid diet pre-surgery, and the 21 I've lost since surgery, I'm down 67 pounds. When, oh when, will I lose a pant size??? When I'm standing, my slacks look huge, but when I sit, I still fill them out pretty well. Every day I look at my closet and dream of the day when it will be empty because everything is too big. True confession: I had a small pile of clothes on my dresser and I thought if I just waited another week or so I could give them to good will rather than hang them up and put them away. But alas... they all still fit. (And yes, I did put them away.) Anyway, I don't expect any real solutions here. I know that eventually I'm bound to lose a size. Just wanted some sympathy from others who might undestand. I don't think anyone starting this surgery at 200 pounds could imagine losing 67 without losing a size. Anyone else have this problem???

PS: Note to Universe: I really want to lose lots of sizes, for the record. Don't take the title of this post literally.

You will lose sizes really soon! And then the dance begins! LOL Congrats on your weight loss. ;)

Ahhhhhhhh I feel ya! I didn't have a preop diet but 9 days after surgery I weighed in and lots only 8lbs. It's been 8 more days and I gained a pound and a half (yes gained) then lost half a pound as of today. It's so discouraging!

I'm following my dr's diet and exercise advice and it's just not moving! Very discouraging.

This is my third week and I just feel so tired and blahhhhhhhhh

I feel your frustration, but you are losing. I am about 5 1/2 weeks out so we must have had our surgeries about the same time. You have lost more than me so far....I'd say that is a success. I tend to want things NOW too, but I have to remind myself, "that is not the way things work." Remember...losing slowly is better than not losing at all! Stay tough!!

Be careful what you wish for, ladies. I started at 352 and I'm 5'8. It seemed to take forever for the first size in pants to come off. Then, I stalled and during that stall I walked right out of my work pants. I was "stuck" in that size for another 40 pounds, then I lost another size. But, in the last month, I've lost THREE pants sizes, despite the scale not moving. I have literally watched my body shape shift in the last month and now NOTHING fits right.

Someone on here posted that it takes longer to lose sizes when we are plus size than it will once we are out of the plus sizes. I am truly thanking God for the box of size 18's I received yesterday because I know I'll be in them and then out of them in no time at all. Look for a post from me in a couple of weeks, offering to pass them on to someone else! :)

Thank you, friends. I know that eventually this has got to give, but I've been a size 32 or 34 pants for so many years, and I just want to say goodbye to that size forever. I dream of being able to shop in regular stores that carry a women's dept, like Macy's, but I need to be a size 24 for that. Seems like about a year away.

Ahhhhhhhh I feel ya! I didn't have a preop diet but 9 days after surgery I weighed in and lots only 8lbs. It's been 8 more days and I gained a pound and a half (yes gained) then lost half a pound as of today. It's so discouraging!

I'm following my dr's diet and exercise advice and it's just not moving! Very discouraging.

This is my third week and I just feel so tired and blahhhhhhhhh

OMG, you must be so frustrated! Sitting in the house waiting to lose weight is like looking out the window waiting for the grass to grow. On the other hand, you've lost like a pound a day! When have you ever done that??? My weight loss since the surgery has been weird... down a pound, up a half, stay the same, down another pound. I've definitely had a lot of days where the scale was up, but unlike when I did other diets, I don't let this bother me too much. Also, are you drinking the Protein drinks? I had such a hard time with them, but I've finally found one I can tolerate and my weight loss not only increased, but I stopped feeling weak all the time. I couldn't drink whey, and now I'm on soy Protein.< /p>

Hmmm... I'm going to do my best to jog my memory, but it has been a while (I'm not sleeved yet but had lapband about 6 years ago).

I was in the 385+ range when I had surgery. I'm a hair over 5'10. A thru & thru "pear". My top runs about 2 sizes smaller than my bottom, thanks to my hips & upper thighs.

I think I had to lose something in the neighborhood of 40 lbs before I noticed any difference at all in my pants, and probably 60 - 70 lbs before I was ready for another size. But when I finally had to start belting my pants to keep them up, I was actually down 2 sizes. Skipping sizes kinda rocks. :)

We often overestimate the fit of our pants, too. I was really confused because I'd lost around 175 lbs and could still wear the same underwear, though it was looser. Crazy, until I realized I'd just been wearing underwear that really were too tight. But when you "grow into" your clothes, so to speak, it's hard to see that they're no longer fitting until you're at an extreme, like your buttons won't come together. That could be playing a role too.

Think of your body like an onion. You peel off the first layer and the onion isn't really that much smaller - you might not even notice. Peel off another layer and you might notice a slight difference. Peel off another layer and there's definitely some change. And so on until the onion is tiny, even though the layers are all about the same size. Now say a layer of onion = 20 or 40 lbs. Your first 40 lbs, maybe there's really not much visible difference. Your next 40, you'll notice. And so on, with each subsequent 40 lbs making a bigger and bigger difference.

It's all mathematical, really. Relative proportions.

Once I hit about 275, it seemed like a size was about 20 lbs. Sometimes I'd lose that in a month, and sometimes I'd lose it in 18 months.