Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Died Fm Vsg Surgery.

You know I sort of wondered that too. I actually didn't think about it until she mentioned carrying around a cup to spit in when she's eating. I have a cousin who had the lapband done about a year ago, and when she eats she carries around a cup, because she has problems with spitting, and food coming back up.

Actually.... it sounds like you had the lap band done. Everyone I know who has had that procedure has had the same out come post op as you have explained. Not much lost and then the gain back... not to mention the constant throwing up kinda sound like a fill was too tight. Are you sure they did the right procedure?

Kim, I can totally relate with you and how some of the folks on here go totally beserk with anything that they don't understand or scares them. I've been the victim of "lets pick on her" many times because I say what I mean. I tell the truth and so many don't like it and so they start to pick. . . called bullying I think. . .I was told by someone on this forum to totally ignore people like that because they are miserable and just want to project that misery unto others. . .so with that, i wish you all the best and hope you get well soon. there really isn't an easy answer to what happened to you, i believe it did however. . . again good luck. . .

I agree that 350 dollars is A LOT of money for your medical records! Unless you had 50 years worth the medical records copied out, it shouldn't have been more than at least 30 dollars (given that you had x-rays etc. included in the records, if not then it shouldn't have been more than about 5 dollars!) I'm not calling you a liar either. If they charged you 350 dollars you were MAJORLY ripped off!

Medical Records Copying Charges

Louisiana

Louisiana Revised Statutes 40:1299.96

For records, a reasonable charge not to exceed:

• $1.00 per page for first 25 pages
  • $0.50 per page for pages 26-500
  • $0.25 per page thereafter
  • Plus handling charge of $25.00
  • Plus actual postage

For x-rays, microfilm, electronic, and imaging media:

• Reasonable reproduction costs
  • Plus handling charge of $20.00 for hospitals, $10.00 for other health care providers

I just pulled the receipt. I paid $272.00 Hospital Records

No X-Rays Paper Only

The other money for copies that I made fm Kinko's & a CD.

Kim, I can totally relate with you and how some of the folks on here go totally beserk with anything that they don't understand or scares them. I've been the victim of "lets pick on her" many times because I say what I mean. I tell the truth and so many don't like it and so they start to pick. . . called bullying I think. . .I was told by someone on this forum to totally ignore people like that because they are miserable and just want to project that misery unto others. . .so with that, i wish you all the best and hope you get well soon. there really isn't an easy answer to what happened to you, i believe it did however. . . again good luck. . .

You hit the nail on the head.

They deny it then call me names for flipping it right back on them.

I do ignore them....

and they well know who they are.

You know I sort of wondered that too. I actually didn't think about it until she mentioned carrying around a cup to spit in when she's eating. I have a cousin who had the lapband done about a year ago, and when she eats she carries around a cup, because she has problems with spitting, and food coming back up.

I had the Verticle Sleeve. My Sister had it done & it worked so turned me on to her Doctor. We did not do the Lap Band because of the complications & costs to readjust the band. My sisters surgery was 100% Successful. She was back at work in 3 days. She looks great.

However, she is now very upset, stressed to the max & is starting to gain weight.

So, we are never out of the woods with these dang calories & fat grams. She was eating anything & everything but 1/6 of the amount and still lost 100 lbs.

Thank You. I really do appreciate all the helpful people like you gals.

This is an awesome site. I was ready to leave.

No, I had the Vertical Sleeve. Did not want the Lap Band.

I was so hungary after ICU, I could have eaten a frozen dog. lol

Stress can be a huge factor in gaining weight also, and lets face it you've been under a lot of it here lately (with good reasons to be). And just because it hasn't worked for you YET doesn't mean it still can't! Having WLS is a life changing event, and it's not an easy way out, or a quick fix. Which I think a lot of people who are unfamiliar with the process, and work it takes thinks. Also everyone's make up is different, and they lose different. Just because the weight melted off of your sister, doesn't mean yours will. I have read threads on here where some people have lost 40 to 50lbs within the first few months, and others may have only lost 20 to 30 in the same amount of time. Remember your doctor can only take you so far when it comes to losing the weight you have to do the rest and sometimes people have to work harder than others, you might just be one of those people who has to work extra hard to get the weight off.

Oh and how I wish we never had to worry about fat grams, calories, sweets and goodies! I wish we can could lose weight as fast as we put it on! lol.

I had the Verticle Sleeve. My Sister had it done & it worked so turned me on to her Doctor. We did not do the Lap Band because of the complications & costs to readjust the band. My sisters surgery was 100% Successful. She was back at work in 3 days. She looks great.

However, she is now very upset, stressed to the max & is starting to gain weight.

So, we are never out of the woods with these dang calories & fat grams. She was eating anything & everything but 1/6 of the amount and still lost 100 lbs.

Thank You. I really do appreciate all the helpful people like you gals.

This is an awesome site. I was ready to leave.

I'll skip the qualifications and just say that I'm pretty familiar with the lapband world, and honestly nothing about her story says lapband to me, IME, based on what we've been told.

Most people with lapbands do not have restriction from the get-go. Fills, often many of them, are required to get restriction. Especially with the larger bands that tend to be used nowadays. And if the surgeon is reputable, as a previous poster indicated, she would not have been given a restrictive fill during surgery. And if you've had a fill, you know it.

I was a bit of a fluke in that I did have restriction from the band itself, but it was nowhere near enough to keep me from getting Water down (or any fluids, or well-chewed foods). And I had the 10cm/4cc band, which is really small compared to what they're using now (point being, someone banded recently would presumably have more fill to go before restriction kicked in than I did). I won't say it's impossible, but it would be really, really unlikely for someone to have restriction to the point that they can't pass fluids without fills with today's AP/standard bands. (I've only met one other person, virtual or online, who had regular and persistent restriction without a fill and he had the same band size I did, which -- heck, I don't think many surgeons are even using anymore, so it really is not a common thing).

In her symptoms, I'm also not seeing anything that would really make me think slip (actually a prolapse) -- if she had a band. GERD is by far the most prevalent symptom, and next would probably be loss of restriction, not super tight restriction (it does happen, but loss is by far the majority). Even with slipped bands, and with enhanced restriction resulting, most people are not so restricted that they cannot pass low viscosity fluids like water. (Problems drinking water are normally related to either the temperature of the water, or more likely either the volume of water someone is trying to pass at a time, or there already being something in the way. And when that's the case, it HURTS, you don't just casually walk around spitting). Saliva is way thicker than water... glycerine is probably a good comparison... so if you're you're too tight to pass water, you're too tight to pass saliva, so someone in that situation is probably going to be yakking up saliva about every 8 - 15 mins, or however long it takes to fill the esophageal pouch. There are also other "things" lapbands tend to do (maybe other procedures do too, I don't know) such as the incessant gurgling, which she has not mentioned.

Most people with lap-bands can also feel their port. A small percentage cannot, but most people can - especially since it became more standard practice to relocate them (the standard practice used to be to place them mid-torso, but more recent practice places them a few inches above the belly button, usually slightly to the right).

Lots of other considerations, too... but it just doesn't match up to me. Not that we can't play "pin the tail on the symptoms," but I just wouldn't want to even remotely hint to someone that they received the wrong procedure, or don't even know what procedure they had, unless there were more than ambiguous similarities like "not losing weight" and "have to spit things up".

Really, she needs to quit posting and get to a medical professional. Our best guesses are just that. Regardless of what was done when, something is wrong and an internet message board is about the worst forum for diagnosis, second only to reading medical encyclopaedias yourself. So everyone quit posting so she'll have nothing to reply to, log off, and GO TO THE DOCTOR, ER, or SOMETHING. There is nothing "ok" about letting your symptoms continue another day.

I could have eaten a frozen dog. lol

LMAO!!!!! This is so funny! I can just see this frozen dog and someone gnawing on it's leg! You just made my day! :lol: :lol: :lol: At least its carb free!!!! Excellent choice!

Kim,

Can you go to Houston, or Dallas, to try to see a new surgeon? I know word gets around and if you can't find someone in your area, at least you can get some help elsewhere. Texas seems to be weight loss surgery heaven these days.

It seems like you are having to go through everything on your own. Have you not been able to talk to anyone with more experience at all? Are there any support groups in your area, even at one of the different hospitals? Many of the support groups are led by nurses and you don't have to be their patient to attend.

I kind of lost track of who said what because I was trying to keep up with the forum while on my phone. But regarding participation here (or anywhere on the internet) - please do not think of this as "bullying". Some people think that anything other than blind acceptance and soft words is bullying. The internet is a crazy honest place and you can use those less than soft words and that criticism to better your case.

What if you were able to take what the naysayers and disbelievers wrote and turn that into a better way to state your case. What if using that as a way to hone your story resulted in an attorney picking up your case?

Please don't write off the criticism. Because of that, you have been able to draw out most of the facts of your story and I am sure your experience is a lot more helpful now. This would not have happened if everyone just patted your back. It's a blessing in disguise!

I have something else to add to the discussion. If anyone EVER feels like they are being given poor care while they are still in the hospital, please be your own best advocate and speak up. You can start by asking for the charge nurse. Then you can ask for the nursing supervisor. If it is during the day you can ask for a patient advocate or patient representative, all hospitals have them or have someone acting in that capacity. If you still feel like your voice is not being heard ask for the hospital administrator.

I actually do agree with Kim that it is in one's best interest to have a friend or relative stick close by if possible. If you find you really don't need them, send'em home!

But also remember that the vast majority of doctors and nurses WANT to help you and want you to do well. Also remember that not everyone dressed in scrubs that comes in your room is a licensed professional. In some hospitals housekeeping and nurse's aids wear scrubs too.

Also if speaking with staff is not getting you anywhere, have your family call and inquire too.

Kim,

I kind of lost track of who said what because I was trying to keep up with the forum while on my phone. But regarding participation here (or anywhere on the internet) - please do not think of this as "bullying". Some people think that anything other than blind acceptance and soft words is bullying. The internet is a crazy honest place and you can use those less than soft words and that criticism to better your case.

What if you were able to take what the naysayers and disbelievers wrote and turn that into a better way to state your case. What if using that as a way to hone your story resulted in an attorney picking up your case?

Please don't write off the criticism. Because of that, you have been able to draw out most of the facts of your story and I am sure your experience is a lot more helpful now. This would not have happened if everyone just patted your back. It's a blessing in disguise!

Very well said. I don't see anyone here bullying the OP.

Kim,

Can you go to Houston, or Dallas, to try to see a new surgeon? I know word gets around and if you can't find someone in your area, at least you can get some help elsewhere. Texas seems to be weight loss surgery heaven these days.

It seems like you are having to go through everything on your own. Have you not been able to talk to anyone with more experience at all? Are there any support groups in your area, even at one of the different hospitals? Many of the support groups are led by nurses and you don't have to be their patient to attend.

Thanks but if you read it you will find that a few people attacked me.

Called me names like trolls, liar, etc.

I know the difference between Just Criticism, Unjust Criticism, insults & bullying.

Kim,

They have Doctors in New Orleans. My friend had the surgery here 6 mos ago and she looks like she is 20 year old again. She is 55, same age as I am. She lost so much weight & she looks & feels fantastic.

She is the one who told me about this site.

I'll skip the qualifications and just say that I'm pretty familiar with the lapband world, and honestly nothing about her story says lapband to me, IME, based on what we've been told.

Most people with lapbands do not have restriction from the get-go. Fills, often many of them, are required to get restriction. Especially with the larger bands that tend to be used nowadays. And if the surgeon is reputable, as a previous poster indicated, she would not have been given a restrictive fill during surgery. And if you've had a fill, you know it.

I was a bit of a fluke in that I did have restriction from the band itself, but it was nowhere near enough to keep me from getting Water down (or any fluids, or well-chewed foods). And I had the 10cm/4cc band, which is really small compared to what they're using now (point being, someone banded recently would presumably have more fill to go before restriction kicked in than I did). I won't say it's impossible, but it would be really, really unlikely for someone to have restriction to the point that they can't pass fluids without fills with today's AP/standard bands. (I've only met one other person, virtual or online, who had regular and persistent restriction without a fill and he had the same band size I did, which -- heck, I don't think many surgeons are even using anymore, so it really is not a common thing).

In her symptoms, I'm also not seeing anything that would really make me think slip (actually a prolapse) -- if she had a band. GERD is by far the most prevalent symptom, and next would probably be loss of restriction, not super tight restriction (it does happen, but loss is by far the majority). Even with slipped bands, and with enhanced restriction resulting, most people are not so restricted that they cannot pass low viscosity fluids like water. (Problems drinking water are normally related to either the temperature of the water, or more likely either the volume of water someone is trying to pass at a time, or there already being something in the way. And when that's the case, it HURTS, you don't just casually walk around spitting). Saliva is way thicker than water... glycerine is probably a good comparison... so if you're you're too tight to pass water, you're too tight to pass saliva, so someone in that situation is probably going to be yakking up saliva about every 8 - 15 mins, or however long it takes to fill the esophageal pouch. There are also other "things" lapbands tend to do (maybe other procedures do too, I don't know) such as the incessant gurgling, which she has not mentioned.

Most people with lap-bands can also feel their port. A small percentage cannot, but most people can - especially since it became more standard practice to relocate them (the standard practice used to be to place them mid-torso, but more recent practice places them a few inches above the belly button, usually slightly to the right).

Lots of other considerations, too... but it just doesn't match up to me. Not that we can't play "pin the tail on the symptoms," but I just wouldn't want to even remotely hint to someone that they received the wrong procedure, or don't even know what procedure they had, unless there were more than ambiguous similarities like "not losing weight" and "have to spit things up".

Really, she needs to quit posting and get to a medical professional. Our best guesses are just that. Regardless of what was done when, something is wrong and an internet message board is about the worst forum for diagnosis, second only to reading medical encyclopaedias yourself. So everyone quit posting so she'll have nothing to reply to, log off, and GO TO THE DOCTOR, ER, or SOMETHING. There is nothing "ok" about letting your symptoms continue another day.

THIS SITE HAS HELPED ME MORE THAN ALL OF THE DOCTORS, HOSPITAL, LAWYERS & MEDICAL RECORDS HAVE HELPED.

THANK YOU.

I WILL LEAVE