Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Upset About My Hair Loss

You can really tell I am loosing hair, my hair was a little thin at the top before the surgery, but now a month and a half out and I can see my scalp through my hair. I know this is all for a great cause, and I don't regret the surgery, but its a little depressing to see. I eat around 70-80g of Protein, and I take all my supplements. The weird thing is that I don't know where the hair is going because I don't see it; I have always lost a lil bit of hair when brushing my hair or shampooing, and it has not increased. Maybe I am going bald and it has nothing to do with surgery, my mom has been telling me its stress for a year now, but I don't know how not to stress about it.

Alot of people take Biotin, are you trying that? I've been taking it but I'm only 2 months out..most don't really notice it till around the 4th month. I think that when your body goes through so much trauma,,surgery, drastic changes in weight and hormones trying to balance out..as well as stress..these can all contribute to Hair loss. I don't have a magic pill but I really feel for you, I hope your hair loss ends and everything is back to normal soon. (((hugs)))

Hi, I feel your pain because I am going through the same thing. My highest weight was 308, I am down to 213 today. My sleeve weight was 248, I got sleeved on 12/13/11. I have taken all supplements- I also added zinc, fish oil,ubiquitol (active form of Co-enzyme Q) in addition to Multivitamin, vit D, Calcium, Biotin. Also I refused to take the Actigall - because a side effect of that is Hair loss. (I was willing to risk gallstones but not losing my hair!) I have always had a minimum of 65g Protein everyday- most days I eat between 80-120 g protein (I eat basically just protein-eggs,fish,protein shakes, etc) My pre-op diet was Atkins- full of protein.But I am still losing hair anyway. I tried the Joan Rivers Beauty- Great hair day hair powder- (got it at Harmons about $20) I have brown hair and it worked great in the beginning. (Basically it is a powder that makes your scalp look brown, so your hair doesn't look as thin. ) Unfortunately, my hair loss has gotten worse, so it is not enough. I finally went to a wig store. The owner told me to check my medical insurance- many policies will pay part or all since it is considered a prosthesis. My policy will cover 1 wig, "per lifetime"- although I am getting so desperate I am willing to pay for it. So I am going to try that. On other sites, I understand that this is very common- and the good news is that our hair will start to grow back 6 mos out. (My hair was always great- I never had "bad hair days"- so I really hate this! )

I take Biotin 10,000mcg, silica, and use nioxin Shampoo and conditioner. I still find alot of hair in the drain and my hairbrush, not to mention my comb also. So sad but worth it for this body now. I feel so much better. I have started taking fish oil caps too. So, hair starts growing in around 6 months? I wonder how long it will take to get longer and fill in. LOL ;)

I am 10 months out. When I got my hair cut last Saturday, my stylist said she could tell when I walked in the door that my hair was starting to come back in, and I thought it was feeling a little different when I Shampoo each morning.

I noticed it really falling at about 5-6 months out. Don't really remember for sure. My hair is short and it was very noticeable in the bathroom sink when it started. I also have multiple cowlicks, so I've had a lot of fun trying to cover them with my depleted resources. My daughter did not lose any at all, so I was really disappointed when it started thinning.

I think there may be light at the end of the tunnel, so don't fret too much. This is a short-term problem on the way to a long-term benefit...Kathe :)

Thank you all for the support. In my head I know its temporary, and like I said I don't regret surgery. Sometimes I just get this nagging thought that tells me not only are you fat, but you are also getting bald. I am just in a funk. Now that I think about it I have been getting alot more moody, more often. All these hormones are getting to me I guess. I know its going to be ok, thank you all again.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to start rocking some awesome hats!! Oh and you can get those clip in extensions that really blend with your hair and it will add some fullness back to it. I have them and no one knows when I'm wearing them or not.

i have not yet begun so see the dreaded Hair loss, but i am only 2 months out. But i did buy some of the clip on extensions when they were on sale, for just incase, also i have 2 of those cool ponytails on a claw. Bought them off of HSN as long as you have enough hair to cover your scalp, put it in a ponytail or bun, then just clip them on over the pony. They have them in most every haircolor, even frosted and salt and pepper. i got a long sleek one and a short curly. They are good on days when you just wanna sleep or realize too late your hair is a little greasy. You can also catch different brands on sale at Sallys.

I havn't been sleeved yet but will be in April and this is one of my fears because my hair is already thin from having hypothyroidism and being on medication. I guess one plus is that I'm a nurse in Labor and Delivery and alot of the girls wear the cloth head covers for surgery all the time so maybe that will help cover it up and bandanas are making a come back.