Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone With Prostate Or Other Cancer History?

I was diagnosed in Feb. 2009 with prostate cancer, 13 biopsy grabs, all came back positive. I was put on Lupron, the testosterone killer, and subjected to 49 external beam radiation treatments, steroids, and chemo through the rest of the year. The tests did not indicate any spreading and my psa went down to 0.0001. I gain 60 pounds during that short time due to Lupron and steroids, my eating did not change, went down if anything.

My psa has slowly risen through the years, now at 0.4, quite under the normal.. My chemo doctor says the rise is normal due to the prostate healing itself after the radiation. My urologist, whom I affectionately call "Dr. Doom", is betting on the cancer returning. He is wanting to put me on Lupron again, more hot flashes, tiredness, achiness, crankiness, hot flashes, night sweats, and most important, weight gain. I am resisting, believing in the chemo doctor.

I have lost 60 pounds since my sleeving and feel great. I have no symptoms of cancer; urinary problems, pain, etc. I have 50 pounds to go. I do not want to get fat again and keep my heart and general health at risk for the small chance that the cancer is returning . So I am opting for no further treatment at this time.

Any of you folks have any experience with prostate or other cancer combined with sleeving?

hi GMNABAT

I am a 10 year+ happy breast cancer survivor. (at that time no sleeve)

I followed all the instructions my oncologist gave me - whether it was to take a new pill, chemo, or do this or that so i would survive even if i might gain weight.

I'd rather be a survivor for the past 10 years,+ and live to tell about it and possibly might gain weight -than gain weight, but anable to tell my story

Kathy

Never had cancer, but on clomid for low T since age 52. I think you're making the right call doing what's right for you. You're quality of life won't be near as good w/o the T, and you have to balance that into your decision. Moreover, if the cancer recurs, it can learn to grow w/o T anyway.

FWIW, the NP treating my low T is skeptical about T and prostate cancer because in her practice it’s typically guys with untreated low T that are getting prostate cancer. But who knows?

On a side note, I'm very skeptic about needle biopsy. It just seems too primitive for our age. No man ever died from cancer that stayed in his prostate, and the biopsy must spread cancer cells all over the place. There has to be a better way to confirm cancer.

I was diagnosed with PC back in 09. Treated with 25 EBRT and internal radiation. PSA currently 1.74. Getting sleeved 7/29/13. Will be back to tell you how im doing.