Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long To Eat Lettuce?

My Doc didn't say when I could eat lettuce....

When did you give it a try? Like a chicken Caesar salad?

Thanks.

well, sorry to throw a wrench into your cog, (but then it may not happen to you) but I'm out going into my 3rd year and can't eat lettuce AT ALL. . . it gives me such great pain. . and i mean "call me an ambulance" pain, not just a ouch pain. . . so be careful when you start back on your lettuce

I have been eating a few salads a week since 2 months out with no probs!

OilSooner,

I started eating lettuce at 2 months. I was "craving" salads. Actually, I am still having trouble with vegetables, but salads are the 1 thing I can eat!

What I did was chop my lettuce in a shedder very fine like cole slaw. And, then added my ingredients on a plate. It went down EXCELLENT at 2 months. No pain what so ever!

Vegetables -- I am still coming for you..hehhehehe

Yup, about 2 months here, too. I eat them quite often now with some tuna, or chx. Here is a thread that discusses salads and veggies, too.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/29597-can-you-eat-salad-vegetables-and-fruits-with-the-gastric-sleeve/

I am at seven weeks and just started to eat arugula (not a fan of regular lettuce). My surgeon said to go ahead and try salad if I had the urge. I have mixed arugula with a little chicken and dressing several times, and it gives me no problems at all.

I was about at six months before I could tolerate lettuce. Tomato was earlier. Really, this all depends on your own body's tolerance. A lot of folks start eating salad at a few weeks out with no problems; it just takes some of us longer, and some of us never quite make it there. You'll figure out pretty quickly if your body is ready for it--stick with your doc's guidelines and give it a try--if it causes pain, stop, and try it again in a few weeks. Best wishes!!

I started eating small amounts of lettuce at six months. I could eat other salad veggies earlier (carrots, green onion, etc). I still have to severly limit raw celery and have to chop it really fine.

salad was the first regular food I tried when I hit week 6 because it's my favorite food and I missed it so much!! Luckily, I've tolerated salad well....the only down side is that I can only eat about 4 bites until I'm full.

I started eating salads about 5 weeks out. I usually eat 1 every day. The only thing my doctor said was "No Iceberg". Too fibrous and NO Nutritional value. So I do mostly romaine, spinach, whatever else comes in those "specialty" bags of lettuce. I through in any veggies on hand (except celery) and use about a tablespoon of a low or non fat dressing.

I can usually eat about 1 cup and have it with whatever Protein I'm having. I've made it into taco salad, greek salad, chef's salad.

I am 8 weeks tomorrow and last week he told me to go ahead and try slads. I can eat all the other veggies fine, but the lettuce seemed too chewy or something so I didn't swallow it. I see some comments on another post that iceberg is the worst compared to romaine and spincah so I guess I will try some of the others this weekend!

My surgeon said not until 6 months out as stomach has a hard time digesting raw vegtables. As you can see almost everyone has different opinions. I have a few bites of salad every once in a while. Yes, I actually miss it like soda but just say "no".

You know lettuce has almost no nutritional value so, until you get in all of your protien daily, skip it. Think health first.

Congrats on your sleeve!