Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - 4 Years Post-Op Lap Band Considering Gastric Sleeve

Hello-

I'm trying to gather some more information about failed lap banders who opted for VSG as revision surgery.

My most pressing question is, do you still get that "stuck" sensation that you get with Lap Band? The one that lasts for 10-15 minutes, there is "sliming" and then you may or may not vomit. I am tired of going through this with the band (and my band has no Fluid in it). I have had both positive and negative results of the band, but it is going to be removed b/c right now it is hindering my progress, not helping it.

My Lap Band is definitely going to be removed, I'm just trying to determine if the gastric sleeve is the right option for me.

Pre-op lap band I was 285. Day of surgery 275. About 6 months out from surgery I went down to 255. After working my tail off at the gym I'm down to 235 where I have been STUCK. I'm back to the gym on average 4 times a week. Am trying to get back to 6 days a week.

I love the working out part, I just have a problem with the "food" part of this whole process.

What happens when you overeat? Do you feel pain? Do you continue to eat a few small meals throughout the day and can you drink Protein shakes?

One thing I have such a problem with right now with the lap band are veggies, especially broccoli (which I love) and eggs. Are you able to eat those foods with this surgery?

Many thanks....

I havent had my revision yet (3 weeks, woohoo!) but I did just have my band removed and I will tell you that I am soooo happy that thing is out of me after all these years of puking, choking and sliming!! (although I am watching what I eat for fear of ballooning up before my surgery date) I started at my highest 285 in 1995 and got down to 140 within 2 or so years then slowly started gaining. I am at 210-215 right now and ready to be sleeved!

From what I have read on these boards, the sleeve is everything the band was supposed to be and I am sooo ready to find out for myself!

Good luck!

Oh wow! How quickly did you recover from the lap band removal?

Right now I am 50/50 on the idea of being sleeved. I just think about all of the rough Patches that I've had and I worry that I will be putting myself through that again.

Thanks for your reply!! :)

I had the sleeve for 4 years. I had it revised once because it slipped out of place, and then it had a leak. The only reason I lost weight the first go around is because all I did was throw up... after i had it revised, it never was the same. I gained back the 90 lbs I had lost... Then I started having no restriction and we discovered it had a leak. I decided to have the sleeve. So far I like it, you have to eat really really slow and I still feel some times the "stuck" feeling, hopefully it will get better as the swelling goes down ( Im only one month post op) I've lost 16 lbs so far... but I am finding out that if you dont follow the rules.. it doesnt seem to come off.. I have a problem with drinking all the Water I am supposed to drink and taking the Vitamins and exercising ( too bad they dont tweak your mind along with your tummy!!) Hopefully my mind will get on board sooner or later!!

Hi,

I'm 11 months out from my revision from band to sleeve. IMO it is night and day. Everyone is different but for me I drink a Protein shake every morning and can eat anything except if milk and sugar are combined. I can drink milk. I can eat something with sugar in it, just not together or I will be in the bathroom.

During the first few months I was wondering if I made a mistake getting sleeved due to the small amount of food I could eat. Now I can still only eat 2 ozs if I eat solid Protein first. This keeps me full for about 3-4 hours. I might be able to eat more but am really trying to learn to eat more times a day instead of more each time I eat. I also am working very hard to understand that I am NOT hungry. In the 11 months I think I have been actually hungry only a handful of times and really only 2 ozs of chicken and no more hunger. Others might have a different experience.

Long story short, I really do love my sleeve and hopefully within the next 4 months I will be at goal.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

I'm a bandsters also. I have been researching revision for about a year now. I have noticed that most bandsters tend to revise to VSG. Also most do extremely well with the VSG when they revise! The only reason I haven't done it yet is b/c of finances.

Good luck!

I'm suppose to have a revision from bandto sleeve soon. I had similar problems witht the band. I hope it works for me!!! I'm looking forward to the redcued hunger. Even though I couldn't physically eat much with the band, I was always hungry. I miss being able to eat chicken, turkey, veggies and salad. All the healthy stuff.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!

Personally, I am finding this to be a tough decision. I'm trying to explore every avenue as I am sure you all did. I feel like I need to be 100% on board if I go with the decision to have the sleeve.

Thanks again everyone and best wishes to all of you!

:)

I also had the band and it failed. Now I'm in the process of getting the sleeve done, I'm just waiting on approval from my insurance. I had to think about it a lot, but I decided that it was the best thing for me. I hope figure out what to do and I wish u the best :)

I was revised from band to sleeve on 9/15/2010. I can't tell you how GLAD I am to be sleeved now. Me and the band never got along and it always seemed to work against me, not with me. In fact, I blame it for my becoming addicted to sugar - I never cared about that stuff before getting soft food syndrome.

I can eat anything I want with the sleeve, no slimes, no stucks nothing. I think just being banded has gotten me an advantage in this because I do think that virgin sleevers do go through some kind of learning process with this. I did take my time in researching though, and I didn't revise for a year of trying over and over again with my band. Finally I decided to stop the insanity and try something different. It worked out for me!!!

:)

I'm so happy it worked for you ^^ .. And I hope I can say that someday too... By the way u look amazing :)

I want to thank everyone again for all of their input. Your stories are inspiring. I finally made a decision last night after doing a lot of research, speaking with my personal trainer, friends, family, etc. I've taken into account all facets of this research. I've decided at this time only to get the Lap Band remove & have my hiatal hernia repaired, however, I am not going to have the Sleeve done at this time. I'm giving myself a year free to see how I can do on my own. I'm leaving this as an option if I again fail at trying on my own.

I wish you all the best and lots of success! :)

I want to thank everyone again for all of their input. Your stories are inspiring. I finally made a decision last night after doing a lot of research, speaking with my personal trainer, friends, family, etc. I've taken into account all facets of this research. I've decided at this time only to get the Lap Band remove & have my hiatal hernia repaired, however, I am not going to have the Sleeve done at this time. I'm giving myself a year free to see how I can do on my own. I'm leaving this as an option if I again fail at trying on my own.

I wish you all the best and lots of success! :smile1:

If that is all you want to have done now that is fine. However do keep in mind that many insurance companies are starting a "one WLS per lifetime" stipulation. If you insurance policy were to add that prior to you deciding that you do want VSG, or RNY or DS for that matter.......if will ne too late. You will have to pay cash. So this is something to definitely keep in mind shen considering to revise or not.

Good luck!