Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Playing The Waiting Game

Hello everyone! I’m a 38 year old single mother of one who lives about 45 minutes northwest of Chicago, IL. I joined this site in hopes of educating myself more about the sleeve surgery before, during, and after as well as having a place to go for support. I have spent several weeks reading through all of the postings and I am happy that I found this site since I feel more educated about the process than before.

A decade ago I went to a seminar on weight loss surgery but decided not to go through with it for many reasons. I ended up losing a bunch of weight on my own, but like everyone else here, I gained it back of course. I started to research WLS again almost two years ago and went through the required 6 month doctor assisted diet, gathering of medical paperwork, and all of the other hoops the insurance companies make you jump through. And then…I was denied. It turns out that during the many visits to my doctor’s office during 2009 they never once took my weight and documented it. This meant that I did not have the required two years proof of obesity which would have been 2009 and 2010. I resubmitted with a DECADE’s worth of information proving that I have been obese for at LEAST that long even though nothing is documented in 2009. It is almost impossible for me to obese most of my life EXCEPT during the 2009 year. So we went ahead and had me tested for sleep apnea as well and wouldn’t you know it, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. This party just keeps getting better, right?

So we submit to insurance again with all of this and the sleep apnea information and yes, still denied because of no weight in 2009. Really? At this point my surgeon’s office cautions me that they are worried I might completely denied if they submit again and that I should wait to submit in 2012. That way, I have documented weight loss for 2010 and 2011 in addition to everything else which should help get my approval. My submission was sent in on 1/5/12 and now it is just a waiting game to see if I am finally approved so I can begin my journey to a more healthful lifestyle.

And what kills me is that two of my sisters and a brother-in-law started their journey for WLS AFTER me and all three of them have had the band or sleeve already. The positive side of this is that I am learning from their mistakes and successes which will hopefully make me more successful once I have my surgery. Oh, and I tried to be proactive during this time so I have a “tentative” surgery date of 2/15/12 and have already put in the request for LOA at work in hopes that all of my stars align and I am approved!

Also, any advice on websites, forums, Vblogs, support groups (online or in the Chicago area), etc. that anyone might have would be appreciated so I can continue to be educated and motivated during this journey.

Thanks much!

Best of luck on the approval ... fingers crossed!

Sounds like its been a long journey for you! Good luck on your approval :)

My wishes to you for speedy Yes!! And a successful sleeve! :)