Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting A Sleeve In Poland And Terrified Any Advice

Hi im looking at getting my sleeve done in poland can anyone tell me roughly how much weight you lose i know you cant give me 100% answer but just aprox and also whats it like after surgery it my last chance nothing else has worked for me.

i weigh 16 stone 10 pounds and im 5ft 6 any hints an tips would be great im scared to death but i need it done :)

Hi there,

I cannot comment on Poland...I have had mine done in Germany (it is where I live now). I had the op on the 4th of August 2011 and as of today i have lost 42kg. Wow, now that I write this, I am pretty amazed.

It has been hard for me as I have not had anyone to talk to about the op other than my husband (poor guy, he really is putting up with quite a lot from me).

The Dr told me that it would be possible to lose up to 70% of my excess weight within 12 months...I am beginning to believe him. I have a goal to get to 11 Stone (I am currently 20 stone).

Initially after surgery your stomach is quite bloated, this does go down, all you can do is have fluids, but this really isn't a problem (you do not want anything else)...now i am eating almost everything again but in small portions and eating slowly (or else you tend to be sick).

Having a sleeve is something that I do recommend, especially when you have tried everything else. For me I needed this, it gives you no choice...you cannot eat at all like you used to (which is a very good thing indeed!)

On this forum I have seen where people have lost anywhere from 50 lbs to 300 lbs. So your weight is right in the middle of that.

I personally had NO pain at all. And like the woman above said you can only drink fluids for a few weeks to allow your stomach time to heal. Then you begin re-eating gradually. My doctor allows us to eat a complete "normal" diet at 4 weeks-I haven't had any problems but some people become lactose intolerant. You need to consume lots of Protein and drink lots of fluids-so like a diet you need to keep track of what you eat and of course you will lose faster if you avoid sweets, fried foods, breads/pasta/rice. For me, I can only eat about 1/2 cup per meal (I have 3 meals a day-no snacks). After I consume the necessary Protein, I can manage a few tablespoons of vegetables, but seldom have room for, or desire "filler foods". I am almost never hungry between meals.

I have lost 60 lbs in 2 months. but I have a lot more to lose than you do so it comes off a little faster.

I wish the sleeve had been available to me years ago, but I'm certainly glad I took advantage of it now.

Good luck, and keep coming back to these forums for support and to ask whatever questions you have. Good luck.

I am six months out and half way to goal. I slacked off a little during the Holidays, but I am back full steam ahead. My Dr.also said expect up to 70% loss. I have seen many here on board make it below their Dr's goals

Hey Victoria,

I am a UK sleever too... in Wales. I had my surgery here in Wales and it certainly was the best thing that I have done.

The previous posters are right, the first couple of weeks are the hardest. Follow your surgeon's recommendations to the T and you will be fine.

As far as weight loss goes... I have lost 74 lb, 5 stone 4lbs and that is 10lb away from my surgeon's goal so way about the 70%. My ultimate goal is to be below 10 stone which means a loss of 100 lbs and that means I am at 74%, which isn't too shabby...lol

I am 18mths out now and on the final stretch to goal where I am back to basics; 1000 cals, high Protein, low carb and plenty of exercise... I would love to get to my goal by the summer where I see my surgeon for my 2yr and final check up.

I say this in all honestly, the sleeve has given me my life back.... goal or not! It is simply the best thing that I have ever done for myself and my family and I too, wish I could have had it done years ago!

If you want any advise... give us a shout!