Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Pick Your Surgeon?

I am trying to choose between 2 hospitals/surgeons and having a tough time making a decision. I'm just wondering how any of you made the choice. Did you only go to one doctor? If you went to more than one, why did you choose one over the other?

What things were important to look for in your doctor?

Thanks!

First of all, I did not let price drive my decision. I am in a self pay situation, but this is a BIG BIG decision, and a few thousand bucks is not going to drive it. (no offense to those who chose Mexico). I started with google and looked for a 500 mile radius or one state over in any direction. Then i started emailing their offices for statistics for VSG like leaks, and deaths, and that kind of thing. I asked dozens of questions to see how they handled it, how concerned they are for my comfort with them.

I wanted a doctor that is in the U.S., because we have no legal recourse across the border. If something goes wrong and you try to hold them accountable, they can just deny it and hang up the phone. End of story. (I've read situations like that on this forum.) Most people do fine in Mexico, but I'm not willing to take that chance. And I live right here in NEW Mexico. It would be easy. I am instead, going to Texas to Dr. David Kim. I studied his credentials and experience and tried to dig up bad stuff on the internet, but there's nothing. His stats for leaks are .01% and those are due to patient non-compliance. He also uses an endoscope for a sizer so he can visualize the inside of the incision. I think that's awesome! Ask about their procedures. Things to consider. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your response and it seems you were pretty thorough. That is great! I am gathering as much info as I can and will ask the doctors some questions too of course.

Leak rate is a good one!

Nobody else? I live in an area where there are quite a few surgeons so I have my choice. Is it that way for most of you? Do you all do a lot of research? Go by patient reviews?

I researched several Surgeons in my area, however seeing as my insurance picked up the entire tab for my VSG I found one that is rated the number one bariatric surgeon in my state. (But they all are) He is a COE surgeon and associated with a COE facility (2) in my state. His stats impressed me, I also personally know several of his patients. Which is a plus as well. He and his staff are very knowledgeable and ready to answer any questions you may have. Good luck with your journey. :) Deb

I met with 2 doctors. For me, after meeting the 2nd doctor, the choice became quiet clear. The first one seemed rushed, had little to no "bedside manner", and at my first consultation told me that it was just a check off the insurance requirement list. When I met the 2nd doctor for my first consultation, he did an exam, drew on a white board to show me what he would do, and answered all of my questions. I would bet I was in there every bit of an hour and a half!! I think it would be hard if all things are equal between the two doctors....but I really believe in trusting your gut. Their experience is important of course, but for me I was sort of looking for that comfort level feeling also. Good luck to you!!!

I looked for Center of Excellence doctors that my insurance approved. Then, I researched the literature to see what were the criteria for surgeons that had the least # of problems with bad side effects. The criteria are: # of sleeve surgeries in the last year, # of sleeve surgeries in total, and the same for the hospital they use. Two surgeons were COE and met the criteria. I went to both surgeons' intro meetings and picked the one who I liked the best.

I visited two surgeons as well. I spoke with dr Michael Cho at strax rejuvenation in ft lauderhill and he was nice, but his office made me feel like I was in line at a deli.

I mentioned WLS to my best friend who worked in the ER at Sebastian River Hispital. She told me about this fantastic Wls surgeon who does his surgeries there. 1 seminar and three office appointments (and tons of research) later and I was sleeved on August 30, 2011 by dr Patrick Domkowski.

I adore Dr D. They don't have Center of Excellence status yet, but they are working toward it and should be certified this summer.

Lissa

I think the most important questions are - How many SLEEVE surgeries have YOU done and how long have YOU been doing them? What complications have YOUR patients experienced? What aftercare do you provide? (support groups, staff knowledge- if you call, can the staff answer medical questions?) When I had laparoscopic knee surgery, the recovery was simple- I did not need a relationship with the Dr. With the sleeve, you have to feel comfortable asking your surgeon many questions, so make sure you like his/her personality.Good Luck.

I went to three different doctors seminars. One of those was at the hospital my wife works at and if I had chosen him I would have had zero copay.I just did not feel comfortable with him, and when I went in for my first pre-op exam he was so rude that I walked out. The doctor I eventually went with shares the office with my PCP. I had hours of consultations pre-op to explain every single question my wife or I might have had. He offers free support group follow up and insists that you come for regular check ups for 5 years. I liked him because it didn't seem he did the surgery and then forgets about you. I have also never met a person at support group who has one bad thing to say about him. My wife is getting sleeved by him this summer.

I picked mine through word of mouth...spoke with 2 people who had the procedure and they both recommended him.....plus it doesnt hurt that he's been on a reality show about weightloss...

I choose where I went at the recommendation of my PCP and she was right I love my doc. Even at 40 yrs old my mother tries to take control of situations and he never let her lol. I loved that, her not so much but she means well :)

We have been with our primary care physician for about eight years now and she referred me to my surgeon. I went to a one-on-one consultation (I guess one-on-two since my husband also attended). We both felt comfortable.

I checked online for any red flags, and checked the state medical board site for disciplinary actions.

He is at a top rated hospital in our area, a facility where I am confident of receiving good treatment, and is also a center of excellence.

I do pay some attention to online reviews, but there are a lot of sites out there that allow anything to be posted. Sometimes one disgruntled patient (justified or not) can wage a real smear campaign.

After all that, I have been 100% satisfied with my experience.

Thank you guys for the ongoing thoughts. One of the doctors I am seriously considering I was referred to by 2 of my other doctors. So that is something. I am actually seeing that doctor today for a consult. I also realized that the seminar I went to last Thursday did give out stats in the folder they handed out. So I can compare a bit.

I also do believe in gut feelings as well so I have to add that into the mix.

Although I have not had my surgery yet, I did do a lot of research before choosing the doctor that I am going to have perform the surgery. I made sure he was part of my insurance Excellence program, I looked at as many patient reviews as I could, and ultimately chose a physician who teaches other physicians how to perform the surgery. I figure if he is good enough to teach other doctors how to do the surgery properly, he must be pretty good at it himself. And once I went to his seminar and then had my own appointment with him I was sold. You need to feel good about who performs your surgery so do lots of research!