Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Almost Regret Having Had This Sleeve Gastrectomy!

what were your symptoms before discovering you had a leak?

My advice is also keep contacting your doctor!!! I took a month off as my dr recommends 2-4 weeks, at 4 weeks I still didn't feel well and it went down hill for me - until they discovered a leak around 9 weeks. I wish I had pressed harder about how I felt, they just poo-poo'd me and told me to get more calories, upped my ppi, etc. If you don't feel right make them understand it!! I listened to everyone on here say it got better at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc and it didn't for me. I decided maybe I was just a baby and this was the new normal for me. I am relieved they finally found the problem and am in the healing process now.

Lola, you are not alone. I was sleeved 11/28/11 I thought that for a while too, (why did I do this) and my boss did my surgery. I had troubles with the dizziness, nauseous, some vomiting, and diarrhea (that I still have). But I am trying to eat every couple of hours and now I am able to tell when the stomach is full. I am still struggling so bad with reflux, we are trying a new med now. So will see how that works out.

I was off work for 2 weeks, it was tiring but I made it thru going back, being back with the people I work with was the best because they support me.

You to will get better, take each day at a time. Get thru that one and go to the next.

I definitely agree some nausea meds helps tremondously. So get that. Your surgeon will order labs if they are worried. I had my labs drawn because of the diarrhea and I do not get all my Protein in either. But everything is perfect.

Just want you to know you are not alone. Hang in there.

Laura

My only symptom was left shoulder pain which I had from almost the beginning - they told me it was probably acid reflux. I also could never eat how much they said I should. I probably had a fever but was on pain meds for shoulder. I got hiccups a few days before. My ferritin level was high but my saturation and Iron were low. That's what finally clued them in and the hematologist did a CT scan.

what were your symptoms before discovering you had a leak?

did you have a leak test before leaving the hospital?

My only symptom was left shoulder pain which I had from almost the beginning - they told me it was probably acid reflux. I also could never eat how much they said I should. I probably had a fever but was on pain meds for shoulder. I got hiccups a few days before. My ferritin level was high but my saturation and Iron were low. That's what finally clued them in and the hematologist did a CT scan.

Hi,

I know for me I had 3 leak test done before they let me leave. I had my surgery done in Mexicali by Dr. Aceves.

Suzanne

My doctor checks with the scope before he closes. My leak only opened when the swelling went down. Then the first test didn't show it (standing up) but when they did the second one (laying down) it showed.

did you have a leak test before leaving the hospital?

omg thats scary!!! was the pain in ur left shoulder intense? or was it just a pain here & there?

My doctor checks with the scope before he closes. My leak only opened when the swelling went down. Then the first test didn't show it (standing up) but when they did the second one (laying down) it showed.

It started out here and there and eventually there all the time - was taking vicodin and eventually that didn't touch it. It was all referred pain from the abscess from the leak pushing on the diaphragm.

omg thats scary!!! was the pain in ur left shoulder intense? or was it just a pain here & there?

sometimes i get a minor ache here & there in my left shoulder. itll last for a few seconds & then go away but i get scared whenever i feel it.

It started out here and there and eventually there all the time - was taking vicodin and eventually that didn't touch it. It was all referred pain from the abscess from the leak pushing on the diaphragm.

Mine was intense when it was there but then would go away. Until it stayed for good - then when the abscess was drained it vanished. It has come back twice now when my drain starts to get thick and yucky, once was a change in infection and the antibiotic I was on wasn't the right one for that particular infection. I finished my antibiotics yesterday and sure hoping it all stays good from here on out. Still have drainage so pretty sure the leak is still there. I go back to the Dr tomorrow so we'll see!

One thing I can recommend strongly is anti-nausea suppositories and, since you're probably dehydrated, ask your surgeon if electrolyte ice pops would be okay for you. They're like a super-sweet Gatorade version of the ice pops we had as kids, but they tend to stay down when nothing else will, especially if you suck them slowly and let your mouth heat the liquid before you swallow.

I'm only two weeks into my sleeve surgery and haven't had severe nausea like yours from this, but I had cancer years ago and this regimen saved my sanity. I only had one trip to the ER for dehydration back then when it probably would've been more like a weekly occurrence. Good luck, don't give up, and trust your instincts! You're your own best advocate, so keep after your doctor until you've figures this out between you and you're feeling better. One day this will be a distant memory.

I survived the first few weeks on broth, hot tea and Isopure PLUS Protein. (ISOPURE PLUS I ordered from Amazon). Isopure is the consistentcy of Water and taste likes Gatorade. It has 15 grams of Protein in 8 ounces of liquid.

I hope you feel better soon. The sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself - I hope yours works out better for you really soon.

Dear Lola,

Here's an idea that has really saved me (and I was sleeved almost 6 MONTHS ago and STILL have a little nausea after eating once in a while.) My doc gave me a tablet that dissolves on the tongue called Phenergan. It clears up nausea almost instantly.

BUT, sounds like you are having other issues as well, besides physical ones. If you have real depression, seek help for that forthwith, as well.

Nothing in life that is worth having is easy to get. Don't mean to sound preachy, but it's true. Note that most people on this site are very happy post-op.

We are USED to having our most important relationship in our lives with FOOD! This is suddenly and completely taken away, and THAT may be causing your depression. It's a shock, I can tell you that from my own experience. Now food is something I have to eat to keep alive, but other things can easily take it's place as your healthier obsessions. Distract yourself! Start a new book, or a craft project, or get active in politics, or volunteer work, or all of the above. If not, meds for depression may be in order. They work!

youre so strong! god bless you!

Mine was intense when it was there but then would go away. Until it stayed for good - then when the abscess was drained it vanished. It has come back twice now when my drain starts to get thick and yucky, once was a change in infection and the antibiotic I was on wasn't the right one for that particular infection. I finished my antibiotics yesterday and sure hoping it all stays good from here on out. Still have drainage so pretty sure the leak is still there. I go back to the Dr tomorrow so we'll see!