Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories Should We Get In Each Day?

My wife and I are now 10-days post op and everything is going very well with our recovery. Everyday we seem to learn something new about ourselves and how we are supposed to eat. We know about the importance of getting in the Protein and Water. Does anybody know how many calories we should have daily?

Well I think it depends...I am just over 2 weeks out and my surgeon has me on a 600 calorie limit until I get close to goal (I consider my surgeon fairly strict). It took me a while to reach 600 calories tho.

Some people I see are further out and eating between 1000-1200 calories daily. Not allowed for me....

I would just concentrate on staying hydrated and maybe clarify calorie limits with post op visit.

I really don't worry about calories. My doc and nut said to concentrate on getting in 64 oz of Water and at least 70 grams of Protein daily. Some days I reach my Protein goal and I'm way under my artificial calorie limit on My Fitness Pal. Other days, I am over my calorie count by miles. I don't really let it worry me.

FYI, My Fitness Pal is a great way to track your Water and protein daily. Ignore the messages that pop up saying you're not eating enough. :) If you like, I'm Lissa912 on there.

welcome.gifhi mike cannon

i agree that all dr.s vary in there decision about things. My dr. told me about 800 calories.

Changing the subject for a quick minute - i have to say, "how terribly cute is that" you and your wife doing this journey together. hug.gif I've heard of "through sickness and health" but man - this brings it to a whole new dimension smile5.gif

focus.gif My dr. did tell me about 600-800 calories, but like i said all docs are different.

Good luck

kathy

I want to second what Lissa says. Protein, liquids, carbs. In that order. For the first few weeks, you'll be lucky to get to the recommended amounts. The calories will take care of themselves.

I agree that in the early weeks, the calories will take care of themselves, as long as you're eating the right thing - Protein first, avoid carbs. In fact, my nutritionist made it clear I should definitely be making my Protein Shakes with milk because I needed the extra calories.

After the first couple of months I got serious about limiting carbs, so I switched from skim milk to almond milk (fewer calories and carbs, but also lower in protein). I keep my calories at around 800 per day, but that's NET - when I get a decent workout in I usually go higher. I'm very pleased with my steady rate of loss, even this close to goal, so it's working for me. (my surgeon is also thrilled - "speechless" was actually the term he used. He hasn't done as many sleeves, so I think he expected I'd lose more slowly!)

I am lucky if I hit 600 calories. Everyone is different though. My surgeon and NUT haven't said a specific number to me. They did however say as long as your getting your Protein and liquids in the rest will pan out for itself. Right now I am just breaking out of my stall and I am about to limit my carbs. I am almost a month out.

My surgeons manual and nutritionist doesn't mention calories. Like some of the others mentioned, they focus on Protein & fluids. In the beginning if you meet both of these goals daily, the carbs and calories will take care of themselves. Consider logging everything on myfitnesspal.com so you see your progression.

I wasn't able to meet my requirements on week 4 due to nausea and that is the first time my NUT mentioned calories and only because I started the conversation. At 4 weeks they want me around 900-1000. The first 3 week I was getting 500 - 735. Hope that helps.