Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Are All The East Coasters?

Just to update, when I met with the anesthesiologist back in march, it was discovered thst I was type 2 diabetic, (my family dr hasn't done bloodwork on me for 5 years! Grrrrrr!!) so my surgery was postponed until my sugars levelled out. They have now and my surgery date is June 8th! No doubts about my decision now as I have been told that wls is the only thing that can possibly "reverse" the diabetes! Not that I'll be cured, but will be off my metformin!!

I really would love to connect with some local people and hear about their experiences!!!!!

Hi,

I am from Dartmouth NS and I will be having my surgery September 8th, 2015 in Toronto with Dr. Orzeh, I am having a gastric sleeve.

I'm in Miramichi, NB. I had my referral in April of 2010 and just had the first visit with clinic in Bathurst last week. I'm waiting on a call back to go and meet the surgeon.

They tell me that it's typically a 4 to 6 month wait from the time you first get called until surgery, notwithstanding any complications that arise from blood work.

I'm hoping to get in before the end of the year.

I'm very nervous and very excited simultaneously. Looking forward to the process, looking forward to getting my second chance.

Kay Girl, I'm also in St. John's. Been waiting 3-4 years. Had the first meeting via webinar in July 2014 and now things seem to be getting moving. I have an appt on the 5th of Nov for my clinic visit with the nurse practitioner and dietician to see if I'm a good candidate and today received in the mail a guide to the surgery. I'm currently on the healthy eating diet for a week and keeping a journal of everything I eat and next week I go to full fluids (dreading that!), I guess to prove that I'm serious and can do this. At some point after going to the clinic, if all goes well, I meet with a surgeon. So don't know if it will be a matter of weeks or months at this point.

I'm kind of worried about the excess skin thing afterwards as I'm in no position to pay for getting it removed. However, I'm single right now so who's going to see it? lol

Hi. I'm Perry from Fredericton nb and I have my first consult with the bariatric clinic in Bathurst for dr savoie on Thursday. I am wondering what do they cover in the initial consult and how many meetings you have before the surgery

And for those that have had the surgery (if any from dr savoie) does he prefer a bypass or or a sleeve.

Any pain after the initial healing? Any advice?

Here's a very active group you may want to join. I've learned so much there. There is a second group that is Canadian but only has 37 members.

I saw surgeon last week, have to see a haematologist in March as I'm on blood thinners and then I'm ready for surgery. Should be done in spring.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Baritastic/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/782422388521225/

Hi. I'm Perry from Fredericton nb and I have my first consult with the bariatric clinic in Bathurst for dr savoie on Thursday. I am wondering what do they cover in the initial consult and how many meetings you have before the surgery

And for those that have had the surgery (if any from dr savoie) does he prefer a bypass or or a sleeve.

Any pain after the initial healing? Any advice?

I am not on Facebook so any forums on this site would be helpful.

I am from Fredericton, NB. It's nice to see a lot of East Coasters on here!

I am still pre op, and Dr. Boisvert will be doing my sleeve. If there is anyone nearby who would like to get together just send me a message :)

Perry I had my surgery done last June in Bathurst by dr savoie. Had a great experience and have lots a lot of weight, blood sugars are normal/off meds, and off blood pressure medication! So thankful for this surgery!

Hi all! I'm in Houston, Tx and getting sleeved April 4!! Sooo excited!! But my sister lives in NS and is feeling frustrated and hopeless because the waiting list is 2 years in NS. I was telling her about people from Canada and US going to Mexico. When you go to Mexico, do you still do preop consults like here? Psych/cardio/nutrition/endo? If you did do it, where did you do it? Mexico or home? If at home, how difficult was it to do your preops there with timing and getting referrals? I really appreciate any info you can give me. I know she is feeling very down and depressed. Thank you!!

Hi all! I'm in Houston, Tx and getting sleeved April 4!! Sooo excited!! But my sister lives in NS and is feeling frustrated and hopeless because the waiting list is 2 years in NS. I was telling her about people from Canada and US going to Mexico. When you go to Mexico, do you still do preop consults like here? Psych/cardio/nutrition/endo? If you did do it, where did you do it? Mexico or home? If at home, how difficult was it to do your preops there with timing and getting referrals? I really appreciate any info you can give me. I know she is feeling very down and depressed. Thank you!!

Hey there,

I live in Nova Scotia, and I was actually just coming on here to post about my issues with the system here. I was at my doctor this morning in hopes to be referred to the Obesity Network to get my surgery. I was on the wait list in Newfoundland but moved here before I could get it done.

My doctor said that the Obesity Network in NS is basically "in name only" now as the surgeon is unable to get any OR time. So I think your sister is not very informed on the actual wait times in NS. I also work in the medical field here, and the last quoted wait time I heard was 10+ years, and I was told that last fall.

So, needless to say, I am frustrated because my physician basically told me that she would not advocate for me through MSI in order to get the surgery done in another province. MSI emailed me and did indicate if I have a medical reason to get it done out of province they will cover it... Does anybody in NS have any suggestions on who I may be able to talk to in order to get this going?

I am attempting to save money for it to be done in Mexico, but I obviously would rather have it done in Canada.

I have heard of many people going to Mexico and having great results with great surgeons.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

There is a forum on this website for Mexico surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have heard of many people going to Mexico and having great results with great surgeons.

I am in New Brunswick, next door to NS. I have a friend who went to Mexico for her surgery, and she had a fantastic experience and lost a lot of weight with her sleeve.

That is so discouraging that the wait list in NS is so long. I was told to expect to wait between 4-7 years for mine, but I've been on the list only a year and a half, and have completed all my preop testing. My next appointment is on April 12th to go in and sign my consent forms, and I will be booked in for surgery. It will be happening late spring or early summer for me, so less than two years total. If she's not allowed to look out of province, Mexico (from everything I've heard) is a great option to look into, just do a ton of research before choosing a surgeon. Good luck to her!

Hello all! I was just sleeved on March 14 in St. John's, NL. I was on the wait list for 3.5 years. Everything has gone well so far.

Sent from my C6616 using the BariatricPal App

East Coast here! Nova Scotia!

Sent from my SM-G903W using the BariatricPal App