Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where Are All The East Coasters?

Has anyone dealt with feeling moody?

Hi AlbertaD,

Glad the surgery went well for you. I had mine April 29th here in Halifax. I am down about 155+ and everything has gone smooth so far.

I did have some strange mood fluctuations after my surgery but they have gotten better. My big issue is depression with all the loose flesh I have on my arms, thighs and abdomen. It causes me to be very depressed at times.

I can understand that. I used to weigh in at 365 about 15 years ago. I lost a 100 then gained up to 310. I have had the hanging arm thing for years. But now I have notice the lose skin on my back of my thighs. Its pretty loose and thats just after losing almost 50. I dont know what it will be like when I reach my goal. I thought it might be because I am going to be 50years old this year and maybe age is also a factor. I certainly understand how you feel. But I try to look at it this way. Its better to be healthier and have lose skin then to be the size I was, unhealthy and feeling depressed about it. My sister is also large and only 13 months younger than me. She said she would never have what I had done because she would look too old and she just couldnt handle that. She said to me arent you worried about looking like an old woman? I said what makes you think I will look like an old woman. I am more concerned with living longer than anything else. I dont want my knees replaced (which was in the not to distant furture) and I want to be able to get off my backside and do the things I want to do. I am going to try not to let the loose skin be the thing that hinders me like my weight did for most of my life. Time to live!!!!:)

What a wonderful way to look at it. I am ever so grateful for the surgery and for the fact that I am healthier than I was at 400+ lbs. Someday I will take care of the cosmetic part of this journey but for now I am loving life more than I ever did before :)

I posted to the Canada group, but I thought I would also post to the East Coasters group as well. I just had my referral sent in, so now the waiting begins. I'm in St. John's NL! :)

I hope your wait is not long Miss Kay :)

Do you have any idea how long your wait is?

Oh, it's going to be a loooooong wait for me! The waittime for NL is roughly 5 years. That's on the high end. Depending on what they do with my referral and how I am triaged, I may be done sooner. I cannot afford to go to Mexico (even though I would LOVE to), so I am comfortable with the wait time. I knew what I was getting into. ;) hah

Here is Nova Scotia it is usually a 10 year wait but i got in after 2 years. I was lucky.

Here in New Brunswick there are three drs to my knowledge that do the surgery. When my dr put my referral in there were only two. I was referred to the dr in Bathurst. I had received a letter from them saying it was an 8 to 10 year wait. I thought mannnnnn thats just nuts. So a friend of mine heard through a friend that a dr in Fredericton was going to do the surgery. I called my drs receptionist and told her and she checked it out and put my referral in. That was 2 or 3 years ago. I had kind of forgotten about it until I got the call to go in and pick up my info pack and make an appointment with the dr. Things went really fast. I got my package on Oct.6th and surgery was on Dec. 5th. Thats pretty fast. A friend of mine who was sleeved in Moncton and it was a year from once she saw the dr to the actual surgery. I dont know how long she was on the wait list but her health was really bad. Hopefully you wont have to wait too long to get it done. It will certainly change your life. :)

@@khorne - I grew up in NS and only moved to NL about 2 years ago, so I'm glad I started the process up here, versus in NS!

@@AlbertaD - That's a really quick turn around time! We have to get a sleep study done before we are triaged, so I am waiting to hear on my appointment for that... I'm not really sure of the general wait time for a sleep study but I'm hoping it isn't too long.

Edited by MissKayNL

I never had to do a sleep study but then again I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, so maybe thats why.

Funy that you responded to this! I just did my at home sleep test on Friday night! A step in the right direction, anyway. I find out in a week or two if I actually have sleep apnea.

I know of some whos apnea was so severe that the surgery was done sooner. If you do have it, maybe they will put you in sooner.

Hi everyone.

I'm from Sussex, NB. I am getting my sleeve done in Bathurst by Dr. Marc savoie. I was referred to dr beausoliel in Moncton as well a dr savoie back in 2009 and got my call for my initial consult on November 27, 2014 and just had my appointment with the anethesiologist on march 4, 2015. During the preop testing, they discovered I have type 2 diabetes, so my surgery is now on hold until my sugars level out.

As far as the Moncton surgeon, dr. Beausoliel, they told me they couldn't even give me a time frame for when I would have had my initial consult, hence the decision to go to Bathurst. I couldn't wait another 2-3 years.

Hoping to hear more stories about maritime sleevers!!!