Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does bad surgeon feedback become a dealbreaker?

I have researched so many surgeons. I feel like I could write a book! There are a few with sterling feedback -just a few minor complaints. But for the most part, every surgeon has their share of unhappy patients and complaints. At what point does a bad feedback become a dealbreaker? How do you measure a surgeon's competence outside of diplomas?

I combined my research off of feedback and personal feedback. I spoke to a few patients either face to face or on the phone. Then again, I've only seen one negative comment about my surgeon and I think it had more to do with the individual than the surgeon. Do a meet and greet with the surgeon as well. I am a pretty good judge of character and look for signs on how someone speaks to you, shakes your hand, eye contact.....that sort of thing. It's the big picture and too important to depend on one source for a decision. Good luck on your journey. I hope you find the best surgeon possible!!! :biggrin1:

I suppose it is kind of like eBay... There are always going to be a few freaks who would never be satisfied...

If the complaints are more than 2% of the surgeons total numbers? That is just over the average for bandster complications, right?

Severity would have to come in there somewhere too. If someone called the doc "Rude", that would be easier for me to gloss over than "I spent 3 weeks in the ICU with a perforated fill in the blank"

If someone called the doc "Rude", that would be easier for me to gloss over than "I spent 3 weeks in the ICU with a perforated fill in the blank"

Good point Morsaille. I also did a lot of research, and while cost was a factor in my decision, the skill of the doctor is the primary concern. I picked the docs that I was most interested in and did a quick little survey including total number of Lap-Band surgeries; erosions; removals and added in feedbacks on bedside manner... The ratio between number of surgeries and number of erosions/removals was they key for me.

I wouldnt go to a surgeon who'd only done a few bands, not even for initial consultation.

If I'd met with a surgeon and he said stupid things like no caffeine because it makes people eat more or carbonation stretches your pouch or if was all rules and not all about this being MY journey, I wouldnt choose him, I'd figure he may be qualified to perform the surgery but he knows jack sh*t about good nutrition and healthy lifestyle.

Other than that, poor patient manner would turn me off. Anyone rude, abrupt etc.

one that has residents and fellows etc.... they are usually on the cutting edge of medicine.

also, attend their ongoing support group for patients "post surgery" that should give you the "fly on the wall" picture.

And as 3loves said......meet with the doc.....your first impression is usually something you should trust. Most of us have a good sense, and if something is left unsettling with you....keep searching.

best wishes and good health to you,

diane : )

This thread really caught my attention.

I met my surgeon at Alvarado Hospital in San Diego, which is near where I live. I found his presentation dry, and that he depended on people who had lost with Gastric, to make his points. He didn't have any zing - but then do surgeons need to be all smiles and personality? He's the only one I found in the area. I didn't know at the time, I'd only be able to have the surgery there if I paid cash, as they didn't accept my insurance.

I drove to his office in San Pedro. While he is warm, I never felt he was present in our talks. He even said "you're having gastric, right?" No.

When he came in to the pre-op room, he wasn't talking to me, he was trying to get the nurses to hurry up, as he was already almost 2 hours behind. The anethesiologist was not the guy I had met in the office, but I just went with it all. Kind of like I was strapped in to Space Mountain, and couldn't get off the ride.

He never came to see me the night of surgery. I was very unhappy with the level of care at Chapman Medical Center. I wouldn't want to end up there again.

For my follow up visit - he kept me waiting 90 minutes in the waiting room with 5 people who'd all had gastric. He didn't have my chart. He once again thought I'd had gastric. When I asked him how big my band was he looked surprised, and said 'Lets give you a fill'

He started out putting in 6cc - but I couldn't even sip Water, so after 2 other unfills, he left me with 4cc.

My confidence is so mixed, as I don't think I'm being myself, and being vocal about the care... all these other people seem to think he's great.

All I've seen is confusion, and that was after waiting too long.

I don't know anyone else with a band to check with. I went to support groups, but they were all gastric.

Had I not found this board - I'd be totally lost.. and very afraid.

The PBs I've had, and the sliming - are no where to be found in the patient book. So, I still don't know what to expect at any given time.

If you do find a surgeon, make sure you talk to someone who's had your procedure. Also, make sure the place where you'll have the surgery is clean, and doesn't spring any surprises on you. I have bad feelings about the nurses there, and that they never wore gloves - even when I questioned the procedures.

Good luck to you!!!!!!

Randi I'm so sorry. It can be so frustrating to feel like a number. And I know what you mena about not feeling like yourself and not speaking up. Sometimes with medical care, it's kind of like, you don't want to complain because then they might treat you worse. But if you can, do speak up, even if it is just to a receptionist or assistant. It will get back to the doctor eventually. UUgh, but I hate being lumped in with bypass people. It's like "you have a broken ankle and you have a broken wrist -- well, they're both broken bones right? You're all the same!"

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!

I think for me, since I was self pay, this was a major question. I could have afforded to go to a surgeon here in Florida, or anywhere in the states. I chose to go to Monterrey Mexico and get banded by Dr. Sanchez because through all the research I could NOT find any bad remarks about him. Everyone loved him, and his team. And the hospital and the guest house! And everything they said would happen, happened to me. The great care, fabulous people, and the caring warm hugs. It made me realize that not only had I made the right choice, but that I wish he was able to do ANY surgery or medical operation I need to have. LOL It was truly amazing.

For me the number of bands is also a big deal. Dr. Sanchez has placed over 6000 bands. I don't think there is anyone with the same number out there. Definitely not anyone in the United States that I could find. I was very uncomfortable with that.

There's a great source of patient evaluations on www.lapbandtalk.com. There are evaluations of both surgeons and facilities. Since patients provide these, not all docs and places are there. If they are, however, you've hit a jackpot. I found out that my bariatric surgery center was excellent. Although all the surgeons were evaluated as excellent, I actually changed my first choice of surgeon based on that feedback. One patient wrote "On a scale of 1-10, he gets a 15." Very reassuring.

NancyRN

Yes, I did -- thanks for catching that. Sometimes I think I have CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t!):confused:

I feel like I'm in good company since I have it too. I'll have to remember "CRS". I'm convinced that I lost brain cells giving birth to my children and they keep sucking my brain daily. :)

You crack me up! :confused: I feel like my kids suck my brain daily, too (also DH sometimes!:rolleyes )

I suppose it is kind of like eBay... There are always going to be a few freaks who would never be satisfied...

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that :faint: