Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I have been approved, I have my financing in place, but I just can't take the plunge! I was standing in line to get my bank draft written up, got to the teller, and when she was just about done, I told her to cancel it and ran away. I am nervous. I'm nervous that I've never had surgery. I'm nervous that maybe I can lose the weight on my own this time. I'm nervous that I'm not big enough and people will judge me for not being able to do it on my own. I'm scared of scars on my tummy. I'm scared of never being able to eat again. UGH! How can a person want soeething so bad, but not be able to do it on their own? Also, if this is the answer, why am I freaking out?!

Does anyone here have any regrets? Any precautions?

I think these fears and concerns are normal, if you did not have them that would be a little bizarre. I have not had my surgery yet but when I started out I was headstrong and did not see/worry about any problems. Now that I am closer the reality is starting to weigh in on me. I think, for you, since it's finally a reality, the seriousness and lasting effects are starting to register. Remember you're doing this for a healthier you. You may not be able to eat as much but the way you're eating now obviously isn't health for you. And if you could have lost the weight on your own then you would have done it. This is just a tool and it's not a magic fixer; it still requires work and dedication, just as much as a regular diet.

I have read many people on here regret that they waited so long. You know deep down if this is right for you, and if it is you should take the plunge. Embrace a healthier life and a happier, healthier you! :dance:

Hi AET,

I did the same thing. I went in May to see my surgeon. Everything was in place for me to get my surgery. I just couldn't get my head around all the voice in my head telling me I was smart enough to lose weight on my own and didn't need to go to such extreme measures. I cancelled everything and gave myself until my surgery date to start losing on my own, I had big plans, I really did! I don't even have to tell you the outcome. Three months later and not one pound shed, not one trip to the gym.

Now, we are all concerned about having surgery. It's not something to take lightly. The question is: Do you trust your doctor? If not, then find a new one. If you do, then talk to him or his staff about your fears. You aren't the only one having them.

Secondly, this proceedure is only a tool. All the other times we have had great plans to lose weight, only to fail because of hunger, or emotional eating, or whatever reason, THIS time we will have a physical barrier to keep us from overeating. We will lose weight. We will have time to adjust our behaviors while we are losing weight. This is a tool to get us over the big hump so that we have the energy to exercise.

Here is the truth: someone is going to judge you harshly for having the surgery. It's probably the same person that judges you harshly for being obese. You will not win the approval war, so call a truce on pleasing other people and do this wonderful thing for yourself.

Yep you will have scars. Women that have laproscopic surgeries for endometriosos or tubal ligations have them too. I have so many stretch marks on my stomach I dare anyone to find the scars from my sleeve! LOL

You will eat again. If what I read is true, you will struggle to eat enough. Will you be able to go to McDonald's and eat a supersized jumbo whatever and down an extra-large soda? I sure hope not. Isn't that the road that got us to this place?

The only question you really need to ask yourself, IMHO, is this: Do you desire the chance to make behavioral changes to you life style that will allow you to live a healthier life? If so, the sleeve will give you the tool to make those changes a reality when all else has failed.

I have doubts. I have fears. But I have tried to lose weight for decades using every diet and exercise gizmo that comes along. Guess what? I'm still fat.

It is said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. I'm tired of my crazy, obese life. I'm choosing sanity. I hope you do too.

I had lots of doubts and fears, even after the day of my surgery. I hadn't ever had surgery before and the idea scared me half to death. I remember when I woke up after the surgery, in my groggy state, I still thought I could back out.

I was also nervous about scars until someone showed me theirs and they were really minimal. I remember telling my brother that I would have five little scars and him telling me that the scars wouldn't matter because I was going to feel so much better (and he was totally right).

You will be able to eat. The first few weeks were a bummer, but eventually you can start to eat like a normal person again, but you have to make the choice to eat like a normal person and not an obese person. That is the part that is more challenging.

If you aren't ready, don't do it, but if you just have cold feet, don't let it stop you. Everybody has fears and this is a drastic step to take. It isn't a decision to take lightly.

Good luck to you. I have every faith that you will make the right decision for you!

Like courtines, when I woke up I still thought I could back out. I was thinking about backing out when they put me under for the surgery. Boy am I glad I didn't back out.

I agree with the others, talk to your doctor...make sure you trust him or her to do your surgery. I actually cried when talking to my doc before surgery (and after, too, but that's another story).

Only you can decide whether this is for you or not, but don't back out because you think you "ought" to lose the weight on your own. You WILL lose the weight on your own. VSG is not a magic bullet. It's just a tool. You still have to make the right choices about eating and exercising. What VSG has done for me is to make it possible for me to say NO to too much food, to say YES to walking and eating right. I'm not constantly walking around hungry, or rather, laying around and being hungry.

The improvement in my body and health is seconded only by the improvement in my attitude toward life and everything that entails. I can walk and move so much easier now. I feel so much better knowing that I am losing weight and that I can continue to lose weight without worrying about being hungry 24/7. I'm saving my own life by making the right choices.

There is a lot of head work involved in the process of getting sleeved. Only you can do that work and decide if this is right for you. I'm betting, though, that you are almost ready, just because you've done the research to get so close to having this surgery. Give yourself a few days, then decide which way you want to go.

Good luck. I can't wait to see you on the loser's bench. :)

I think been scared is normal, i have a surgery dATE 11/22 AND i started to have fears, but I am extremily happy that I was approved, the scars i had laparoscopic surgery last year and you can't even see plus what's worst ,not loosing weight and not being healthy ,I take the scars, plus we need food live not live for food.

I hope you choose a healthy life. :purplebananna:

I almost backed out several times.....your fears are totally normal! This is a big decision but I feel certain that once it's over and you are healed you will be so glad you did it! I was sleeved on 10/18 and I've never been so sure of anything...ever! Breathe deep and forge ahead! ♥

Like Courtines and Lissa, I woke up from surgery thinking I should back out. Of course, it was too late by then.

I was nervous before the surgery, but I do not regret it at all. :)