Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will start my Pre Op liquid diet November 9 and I bought some cream Soups and stuff but I am wondering if somebody could help me ( if you remember ) what kind of soups,

Protein Shakes, puddings you bought? Like I got today some fat free sugar free puddings and jello's ,natural not sugar added apple sauce,sugar free crystal light, some fat free camp bells soups. I need to get a Protein Powder and chewable multivamins ??? where??? I bought some Citrate ( Calcium 600 mg with Vitamin D chewable ) What else do I need? Do I need to start taking B12 as well? And the Multivitamins has to have Iron? I hope I can make it within this pre op liquid diet :( Any suggestions would be appreciated !!! Also where do I going the november slivers group??? My surgery date is November 23rd. TIA

BUMP bump :aureola:

Hello Liliana! I have my surgery tomorrow and I'm at the end of this liquid pre-op diet. I've been on it for 10 days with mostly EAS low carb Protein Shakes, sugar free popsicles and some chicken broth. I did, however, cheat with some cooked runny egg whites about a week ago. But I've really had very few carbs for the 10 days, usually under 15 grams (EAS has about 3 carbs each). I started the Flintstones w/iron chewables a few days ago. I take two since they are childrens Vitamins. They tell me I'll need these for a week or two after surgery until I can swallow capsules again. You'll probably need sublingual B12 and D3 supplements. The liquid diet is tough at first, just keep your end goal in mind and try to stay busy. There were a couple of nights around 8 or 9 that I started getting hungry and just went to bed, helped me not think of the hunger. : ) Good luck!

Mark

I am pre-surgery myself so I have not gone through the liquid stage. My surgeon's office sells the nectar shakes - you want a powder with whey Protein isolate. I recently was given the recommendation by another one of thier docs to try the Premier Protein pre-mixed Protein Drink (30g protein) that you can purchase at costco - in an effort to drop the carbs from the milk I have been using with the nectar powder. They do also make some Protein mixes that do not use milk and I have some samples of those to try.

I know every surgeon has slightly different recomendations - my Vitamin protocol is as follows - I am taking the same supplements that I will following surgery - had to sign a contract saying that I am complying.

For VSG:

I take bariatric supplements by Bariatric Advantage.

Multi-vitamin - if you use a standard Multivitamin, shoose a high potency Vitamin containing 100% of daily value of at least 2/3 of nutrients and double the dosage. You need a vitamin that has at least 18 mg of Iron, 400 mcg of folic acid, and contains selenium and zinc.

Be careful not to exceed 10,000IU of Vitamin A or 1,500 IU of vitamin E.

No childrens, or Gummy Vitamins - they are not complete and they have too many carbs.

Do not use time released, or enteric coatings on tablets/capsules.

calcium citrate - most absorbable form - dont take at the same time as Iron. Best if you can split the doses into 500-600 doses.

1500-2000 mg per day.

B12

I take 1,000mcg a day - sublingual tablet that dissolves.

Iron

At least 36 mg per day. If you are at risk for anemia or menstruating aim for 50-100 mg per day.

B50/B50 Complex

I take two capsules a day (Bariatric Advantage brand)

Vitamin D

to maintain normal levels, and depending on where you live it varies. 1,000 IU minimum.

I live in Seattle - and my nutritionists have us on 10,000 IU's of liquid vitamin D a day - it comes in a bottle with a dropper and has no taste.

Those are the basic supplements for VSG - I also take 5-HTP, additional Chromium, Glucosamine, and Fish Oil (found a great one at GNC that does not give fishy burps)

I look forward to seeing suggestions for liquids as well - I plan to get some of the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup, the clear nectar drinks, maybe try some Isopure etc.

Oh and the last bariatric support group meeting I went to a lot of folks did confirm that they had a hard time getting in all of the supplements until they were a few weeks and even months out. Just do the best you can is my advice.

Thank you so so much for all your help , I found the Flinstones chewable at Walmart, they even have generic brand,so I took 2 this morning so that makes 36 g of Iron per day :) I will take my caltrate later on today :)