Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm still feeling pain and discomfort in my incision site (the main one) and am flabbergasted when I read posts from people who are newly sleeved mentioning that they're already up and walking for exercise.

I was able to walk slow laps in the hospital, but I find that I cant remain on my feet for more than 5 to 7 minutes at a time because its painful. When did you start your walking regimen? I guess I'm just a slower healer than some...

I was sleeved on Oct 17 and going thru the same thing as you. Standing for more than 5 mins makes the pain a lot worse. Sitting in a straight up position also hurts. Reclining partially back in the recliner or propped way up with lots of pillows in bed is best for me so far. My main incision site (under left breast) is still very tender, swollen and painful. So much so that I plan on emailing a picture of it to my docs office in the morjing just to make sure everything is as it should be. I figure I am healing at my own pace. Slower than some others, and slower than I want it to be, but it is what it is and won't matter in the long run as long as I lose the weight (no matter how long it takes) and most importantly, keep it off. Hang in there!

You need to get up and walk some so you don't get blood clots, but don't worry about exercising until you can do it comfortably! When I started walking it was more like strolling, and I would get really sore after so I just waited. I started on my elliptical machine at about 5 weeks but was told to do just the legs (no arms). I go at a leisurely pace, barely break a sweat. I'm 8 weeks out now and am content to just be moving for 30 minutes a day and not concerned with doing a supercharged workout.

Walk as much as you can, even if you are bent over and tottering for only a few minutes at a time. Your strength and stamina will return faster the quicker you resume as much activity as you can. Like Dramagirl said, walking helps prevent clotting in your extremities.

Yes, as previously described, you need to walk as much as you can IMMEDIATELY. This will ultimately make you feel better. If all you can do is 5-10 minutes than do that, stop and rest then pick up again.

Any amount of walking is better than no walking at all. Walk 5 minutes if you can, rest and then do another 5 minutes. Take your time and BE CAREFUL. The more you walk the more energy you'll have. Remember, don't overd do it.

I was sleeved on Oct 17 and going thru the same thing as you. Standing for more than 5 mins makes the pain a lot worse. Sitting in a straight up position also hurts. Reclining partially back in the recliner or propped way up with lots of pillows in bed is best for me so far. My main incision site (under left breast) is still very tender, swollen and painful. So much so that I plan on emailing a picture of it to my docs office in the morjing just to make sure everything is as it should be. I figure I am healing at my own pace. Slower than some others, and slower than I want it to be, but it is what it is and won't matter in the long run as long as I lose the weight (no matter how long it takes) and most importantly, keep it off. Hang in there!

I was sleeve on the same day as you were by the same Dr. and I feel the same way about the main incision. Mine is bruised and very painful everything is else is fine. There are not many positions where I can sit comfortably. However, I did walk outside today for the first time for about 20 to 30 minutes, no pain. I had assistance though, I was not alone. Each day is getting better. Hopefully the doctor can give you some answers. Take care.

I had my sleeve on the 19th and I am walking about an hour a day in 15-20 minute bursts. Yes, it is SLOOOOW walking, but getting moving makes me feel better, especially after meals. I feel like it helps with digestion. You need to get walking, but it can be SLOW and it can only be in short bursts if thats what your body says. Once you make it a habit you will get used to it and go harder longer. Good luck.

I was sleeved on 10/18 and have had the same difficulty and still do but it gets better every day. What's helped me is hugging a pillow to my stomach, giving support. A binder might help to.

Great feedback! Spoke to my doc's PA (who, for all intents & purposes, runs the show w/patients post-op) and was told what I am experiencing is normal (for me, since we are all different) and to walk as I am able. What calmed my nerves most was hearing that I am still doing well, even if I am not bouncing back from surgery quite as quickly as some others do. While I am thrilled for others who get up and go mere days after their surgery, the fact that I am slower in healing is just as.normal is a relief.

I was sleeved oct 17 && im feeling perfectly fine only thing slowing me down is my drain first post op days I made sure to get up && walk the halls of hospital && my home also take my liquid pain medicine every 6 hours it helped me a great deal at first I needed help out of my bed the first 4 days after that I had gained enough strength to support myself not sure if its from my walking or drinking adequate amounts of Protein I hear both cause you to heal so my point is just try && walk all the pain is very temporary you just had major surgery take your medicine stay hydrateed every day you push yourself it'll get better goodluck<3

Was it hard for u guys four days after surgery to bend down n put socks on n sneakers????? Thanks

your going to need assistance with those things well atleast I did family put on socks just wore slippers I didn't feel like going anywhere the whole week what I found that helped me was taking my medicine then walking same system I used at the hospital also no bending because you don't want to mess up your stitches

goodluck sweety hope this comment helps<3

Was it hard for u guys four days after surgery to bend down n put socks on n sneakers????? Thanks

When my doc told me BEFORE surgery that I would have to walk AFTER surgery, I thought he was a nut job!! However, I walked from the surgery bed to my hospital bed (about 3 feet) immediately after surgery and I've continued to walk as much as I can each day. For the first few days at home, I walked up and down the hallway in the house, partially because I had to go potty and partially because I needed to walk. After a few days, I volunteered for dog-walking duty. My dog is 18 years old, so she's not pulling or wanting to walk long distances. After I got used to walking her, I started walking around the small D at the end of my building, from my hallway to the closest end, a few times a day. I was astounded that at two weeks out I could walk the big D from my door, around the building to the farthest hallway and to my door again. :)

At three weeks out, I walked around the lake in our apartment complex, and I try to do that walk at least 3 times a week now. The first couple of times were rough, but it's getting easier. Now, at 7 weeks out, I can go into Walmart or Sams and walk around without needing to stop for a break every few minutes. I astounded my son a few days ago by bringing in groceries, making multiple trips. I even got a comment from a gal where I sometimes work. I was going back and forth between where my customers were signing docs and the copier/fax machine and she said to me "Look at you go! You're whipping back and forth like it's no big deal!" Before, when I did the same tasks there, apparently I moved like a snail, although I didn't realize it.

I've been adding in the stationary bike a couple of times a week and I'm excited to walk longer distances and move more quickly. I FEEL so much better than before. But, just baby steps are what is required. A little walk here and there will soon add up to longer distances and better health. I hope that you soon feel as great after your surgery as I do!!! :)

4 hours after my surgery I was required to walk. I was so out of it and on pain meds that I couldn't. HOWEVER... the next day, they got me out that bed early. Up and at'um. I have been walking ever since. Pain and all. I did not want to be back in the hospital for blood clots. The more I move the better I feel. It's been 8 days since. I may take an extra week off from work, maybe. So far I'm going back a week from today. Take care all and most of all God Bless you, be strong!