Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do you stay full after a meal?

I had my first full liquids day yesterday. For dinner I had some blended-up lentil Soup. I was able to eat about 8 oz. of it about 6pm. I was almost uncomfortably full. By 10pm, I felt like there was still no way I could possibly eat anything. It was one of the oddest things I've ever experienced! But also a wonderful thing! I'd had some Protein shake and creamy Tomato Soup earlier in the day and hadn't had that feeling. I'm sure it was the high Fiber content of the Soup that made the difference.

So my answer would be that if you eat a meal that's high-protein/high-fiber, you will feel full for a very long time...

Everyone is different.........Im starving about 2-4 hrs after I eat , so I concentrate on eating mainly Protein :rolleyes:

I'm new to this site. I've finally been approved for surgery. How long do you stay full after a meal?

Thank you so much for your answer. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 21st. and I'm really nervous.

I had my first full liquids day yesterday. For dinner I had some blended-up lentil Soup. I was able to eat about 8 oz. of it about 6pm. I was almost uncomfortably full. By 10pm, I felt like there was still no way I could possibly eat anything. It was one of the oddest things I've ever experienced! But also a wonderful thing! I'd had some Protein shake and creamy Tomato Soup earlier in the day and hadn't had that feeling. I'm sure it was the high Fiber content of the soup that made the difference.

So my answer would be that if you eat a meal that's high-protein/high-fiber, you will feel full for a very long time...

You're welcome, and I don't blame you. When people ask me how I'm doing, I usually say "Well, it's no walk in the park!" But I can tell it's going to be totally worth it, and probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Congrats on making that decision yourself!biggrin.gif

I am 21 weeks out today and will tell you the denser the Protein in your meal, the longer it will stay with me. Also, the longer I wait to drink after I eat, the longer I will not feel hungry.

Choose the most dense protein you can find and wait as long as you can to drink after a meal. That will help with hunger! I usually can go 3-4 hours.

Kelly :)

Thank you. Your weight loss is awesome!

I am 21 weeks out today and will tell you the denser the Protein in your meal, the longer it will stay with me. Also, the longer I wait to drink after I eat, the longer I will not feel hungry.

Choose the most dense protein you can find and wait as long as you can to drink after a meal. That will help with hunger! I usually can go 3-4 hours.

Kelly :)

I am just over 8 weeks out.. for me, I had absolutely no hunger for the first month and then the hunger returned.. nothing horrible, but still noticeable. I get hungry about three hours after eating... sometimes only two hours. Like the others have said, eat the damn Protein first..lol It makes a huge difference in how long you can go without eating. I don't know how people only eat three meals a day.. if I didn't have my two Snacks I would be vibrating. I think because you are eating so much less that the food can only last in your little jelly bean of a stomach before it digests and then you get hungry again. I should mention that some people never feel hungry. At least that's what I have read. I loved the stage where I had no hunger. LORD it was soooo freeing! :) Good luck

I am almost 7 months out and I have a fuller feeling in my tummy longer with denser Protein, too. As mentioned above.

I never have a real hunger though. I feel lucky cause I think I don't have a teency bit of ghrelin left. I know it can be made in different parts of the body, but I honestly never want to eat. When I'm at a gathering and everyone is eating, that is about the most tempted I am to indulge. Even then, just one or two bites and I'm satisfied. I love my sleeve!biggrin.gif

Like everyone else, I'd day about 2-4 hours. However, the hunger I experience now isn't as strong as it used to be and it's amazing how little it takes to satisfy it. Best thing I've ever done!!!

Sometimes I think nothing will cure my hunger - LOL. The Protein Shakes (to me) are delicious and if I drink that first I'm good. But like some of the others mentioned, 2-3 hours later I may get hungry again. BUT, I'm no where near as far out as some. I am only 2 weeks post-op so it's still all so new to me.

It really depends how busy i am. If I'm really busy I can go a whole day without eating. But if i'm just bored and watching tv or thinking about it, i can get hungry (head hunger of course) within 30 minutes of my meals. So busy is good!

However, the hunger I experience now isn't as strong as it used to be and it's amazing how little it takes to satisfy it.

This is music to my ears. :musical_note: I hope it happens to me too.

If I eat a good meal, it can be hours before I feel like I need to eat again. I just had beef teriyaki (leftovers) for lunch. I ate mostly just beef and am sure I won't be hungry for at least 4 hours, maybe more like 6. If I have a piece of tilapia, I may get hungry after 3 hours.