Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Well I got some not so good news today---I didn't pass the psych eval. I can't believe it. So I am now on a 60 day hold until I see a shrink, keep track of all the food I eat and get on a different anti-depressant as she thinks the one I'm on isn't working. I don't even feel depressed anymore. Until today anyway. Has this happened to anyone else. I think its weird. Of course I have food issues or I wouldn't need a lap-band for obvious reasons. I'm so crabby about this I could scream. And then when I go for another psch. eval. in 60 days and another $300 there is still no guarantee I'll pass that one and if I do my insurance will probably turn me down anyway. I'm over it but I'm not giving up. I just will have to do what they tell me I guess.

Well I got some not so good news today---I didn't pass the psych eval. I can't believe it. So I am now on a 60 day hold until I see a shrink, keep track of all the food I eat and get on a different anti-depressant as she thinks the one I'm on isn't working. I don't even feel depressed anymore. Until today anyway. Has this happened to anyone else. I think its weird. Of course I have food issues or I wouldn't need a lap-band for obvious reasons. I'm so crabby about this I could scream. And then when I go for another psch. eval. in 60 days and another $300 there is still no guarantee I'll pass that one and if I do my insurance will probably turn me down anyway. I'm over it but I'm not giving up. I just will have to do what they tell me I guess.

Gee Cathie, I'm sorry to hear that. Was the psych done by your regular shrink? If so, I'd definitely talk to them and see what's up and if not, maybe your regular person could write a letter regarding the evaluation. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of anti-dep are you on? I take Welbutrin and love it. It's made such a difference in my life. I wasn't even feeling particularly depressed when I changed from the Zoloft to it, but the Wb just gives me a clarity I didn't get w/ the other.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there.

Crabcake, the emails I get from LBT that notify me of a new message say:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

I've found that if I don't go into the site and read the new message, then I don't get any more notifications. It's good because sometimes I can't check in for awhile and I'd hate my inbox to be so jammed with every message that is posted. FYI. I hope that answers your question.

I think you may be right. I know there've been times when I went to the site because of an email and ended up reading other messages as well. Then when I received an alert and saw that I'd already read those messages, I didn't go back. Thanks for pointing this out. It makes perfect sense. I'll have to watch and see if that makes the difference.

i think for everyone it's a tad different

I'll say, 'cause I just did me a big ol PB and it was pretty much like throwing up! Gross!!!!!!!! It's cause I waited so long to eat though. You just can't do that. 'Cause then you're really hungry and you'll eat too fast! ;)

Well I got some not so good news today---I didn't pass the psych eval.

WHAT? This is the first time I have ever heard of this. Is this someone

you see on a regular basis that knows you pretty well? What kind

of questions did he/she ask you?

Mine asked me what I was going to do when I couldn't replace food

for comfort anymore. I told her that I had discovered that exercise

is better than any anti depressant I had ever been on. I said when

I feel stressed out, now I go and exercise. (this is true by the way)

You tell us what she/he asked you, and we'll all be able to figure out

how to get you to pass that sucker!

crabcake: Wellbutrin works really well for me too. In fact, I've been on it for at least 3 years. I do worry that I'll never be able to get off of it and that maybe it's doing something screwy in my brain, but man, it's worth it.

I am very curious too, cathie. I had to take a written psych evaluation. It was one of those tricky ones that cleverly keep you from being able to figure out how to answer so that you can make it turn out the way you want it to. I had no idea what I might answer that would keep me from getting the surgery. I finally decided that if I couldn't pass it while I'm on Wellbutrin, I'd never be able to. I still don't know what exactly they were looking for. Frankly, I figured the doc would want the money enough that he wouldn't turn me down.

The shrink did a 2 hour interview too. We had a nice chat about all kinds of things and I didn't whip out my knife or gun or hit him with my shoe, so I guess I did okay.

I don't mean to sound flip about something that is so serious, cathie. I guess I'm just a smartass. And I've only lost 40 lbs. in a year and another 40 lbs. hangs on my back like a beached whale. So I'm just trying to keep my sense of humor and keep on truckin'. If there's anything we can do to help you get over this hump, you know we will defnitely be there for you!

crabcake: Wellbutrin works really well for me too. In fact, I've been on it for at least 3 years. I do worry that I'll never be able to get off of it and that maybe it's doing something screwy in my brain, but man, it's worth it.

I doubt I'll ever be able to get off of it. I said something once about getting off of my meds and my doctor just smiled. But if the WB continues to work as well as it has been, I'm like you...so what? It's definitely worth it!

And hey, 40 pounds is nothing to sneeze at!

They took my anti depressant off the market. I tried every other one possible and they all gave me horrible side effects. I am glad I have turned into an exercise addict. It really has helped me more than medication, other than the fact that I still can't sleep.< /p>

my eval was done by a shrink the bariatric surgeon sent me to. I don't have a regular one but I got bad vibes from her after I was there for 5 mn. I had to take a paper test too about 20 pages long and it was trickey and yes I didn't know how to answer some of the questions so I just decided to be honest. I was diagnosed with bi--polar several years ago along with cllinical depression but I'm on Lexapro and I don't feel depressed at all really. Once in a while just like everyone else but nothing major. She said she felt that I had major issues with food and I wouldn't right now be a good candidate because I binge at night and until I get that under control wls wouldn't work for me. Keep in mind when I binge its usually with a bowl of cold Cereal or a pandJ before bed. So now I have to document everything for the next 60days and see if I can somehow pass the eval again. I'm so dissapointed and I got bad vibes from this chick and that is who my surgeon uses so I don't know what will happen. By the way, I work out at least 5 days a week and work for Publix (supermarket) as well so I don't see how I can be soooo depressed. Its not like I'm in my bed crying all the time. This really pisses me off bigtime.

Wow, this is a bummer. Can't you get a different shrink to do your evaluation? :rolleyes: If you are able to work it sounds as though you are in pretty good shape. I suffer from clinical depression and was off work twice because of this. I am on Wellbutrin, Selexa, and Topamax and this combo seems to be working pretty well at the moment. I will be on meds for depression for the rest of my life. Going off them is not an option for me. :phanvan

What kind of questions do they ask in order to figure out if you are a candidate for the surgery? Up here in Canada it is a question of your cheque book doing all the talking. ;)

I don't have a regular one but I got bad vibes from her after I was there for 5 mn.

Well, even if you have to wait the 60 days, I'd look into seeing a different doctor. Surely your wls doc will allow this. If not, maybe you should consider a different wls?

I don't blame you for being PO'd. It's interesting how all of these doctors are the same. Mine didn't even require I do a psych eval although I put down that I was on mega doses of Wellbutrin! I imagine whether the check cleared was the real concern!

my eval was done by a shrink the bariatric surgeon sent me to. I don't have a regular one but I got bad vibes from her after I was there for 5 mn. I had to take a paper test too about 20 pages long and it was trickey and yes I didn't know how to answer some of the questions so I just decided to be honest. I was diagnosed with bi--polar several years ago along with cllinical depression but I'm on Lexapro and I don't feel depressed at all really. Once in a while just like everyone else but nothing major. She said she felt that I had major issues with food and I wouldn't right now be a good candidate because I binge at night and until I get that under control wls wouldn't work for me. Keep in mind when I binge its usually with a bowl of cold cereal or a pandJ before bed. So now I have to document everything for the next 60days and see if I can somehow pass the eval again. I'm so dissapointed and I got bad vibes from this chick and that is who my surgeon uses so I don't know what will happen. By the way, I work out at least 5 days a week and work for Publix (supermarket) as well so I don't see how I can be soooo depressed. Its not like I'm in my bed crying all the time. This really pisses me off bigtime.

OMG Cathie - I am sorry - I to am a night eater - I am glad I didn't have to go to your shrink.. Mine was more into drugs to help with this or that - I just parrotted everything I had read hear (someone advised me not to talk too much just to answer question that were asked) here = it's a tool to help me control my portions - I am doing this to be healthy - with a tad of vanity. That i knew how to eat right but didn't control my portions. I don't think 1 bowl of ceral is bingeing now a whole half gallon of ice cream at one sitting might be. I figured if the surgeon sent you there you would pass cuz they want the $$$ and if you don't pass then no surgery no $$$$ - have you talked to your dr - get another shrink... i would be pissed too... well lunch is over gotta get to work

good luck

I just turned 54 I wa banded on September 10 I lost 28 pounds since my surgery yep 28 pounds so that is a total of 40 pounds gone for me. I went to my ist pre op visit todaya dnwell everyone was happy for me. My Dr. said hey it looks like you have lost some weight and just smiled at me. I cannot tell you how this makes me feel. I started off around 270 pounds and I just topped the scale at 230 pounds.not too shabby I have to say. I am going to stick to the doet plan that he gave me until I get banded in 5 weeks. I wish everyone great success asI had and if your a slow loser it does not matter because you are losing and heck maybe I will only lose another 5-10 pounds before my 6th weeks but it is a loss and that is all I care about.

Carlene

I was just banded on 9/10/07 I started my weight loss during the summer to see if I could do it and I managed to lose some weight on my own. Since surgery I have a combined weight loss of 40 even pounds.I cannot begin to tell u how this makes me feel. I don't miss my sweets not even my diet soda. But I bet ya that I could also worm my way through a bag of cheetos too! LOL on me. I am 54 years old. I walk, exercise and do what ever it takes to make it to my goal which is another 70 pounds and darn I am going to do it. By the way you look fantastic.

Sharon

I just turned 54 I wa banded on September 10 I lost 28 pounds since my surgery yep 28 pounds so that is a total of 40 pounds gone for me. I went to my ist pre op visit todaya dnwell everyone was happy for me. My Dr. said hey it looks like you have lost some weight and just smiled at me. I cannot tell you how this makes me feel. I started off around 270 pounds and I just topped the scale at 230 pounds.not too shabby I have to say. I am going to stick to the doet plan that he gave me until I get banded in 5 weeks. I wish everyone great success asI had and if your a slow loser it does not matter because you are losing and heck maybe I will only lose another 5-10 pounds before my 6th weeks but it is a loss and that is all I care about.

Sharon - Congrats & Welcome...