Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi, everyone.

IndioGirl - You are in my thoughts which are VERY positive on your behalf.

posters!

Thanks LadyHR.....

All of your positive thoughts and prayer are a great comfort to me... I am single so don't have the DH to lean on - haven't told my family - except for my sister as i don't want to worry my 16 yr grandson

With today's announcement of Robin Roberts having cancer it just shows you that no one is safe. I was very interested in the fact that ultra sounds are better than mamograms?? and that 80% who are diagonist don't have it in their family... I guess I have a lot to learn.

Indio - best wishes on the biopsy. Now, as for the exercise. I have been working with a trainer for two years. Thirty pounds more, I started out at one minute of cardio and now can easily do 45 minutes. The one often over looked factor that we need to purchase good shoes, and replace them every 3 months. If you don't have good shoes, you will hurt your knees, hips and ankles. Any time I try to "get by" on old shoes, I pay for it. Make sure you are on low impact machines or walking on softer surfaces. Otherwise jarring occurs every time you step. Also, five times a week is optimal for weight loss. Don't replace food obsession with a hyper-exercise one, because it isn't sustainable and will hurt you psychologically. Be gentle with you. You are precious.

Hope this helps keep you exercising and moving towards a healthy lifestyle.

Hugs,

Michelle

Hi all! I just shed the 50th pound last Friday!!! I am excited 'bout that! But..I really don't understand this band???? It does not work like I expected. I thought that I could probably eat most things just not so much, and I would be full. But. it is not like that. Since my last fill, and they gave me the max, I could not eat anything without it getting stuck, then one day last week, I could finally eat, and everything I ate that day went through great!! Then from that day till now the same problem, cant eat anything without pain, sticking, and sometimes trying to or do throw up!! Sometimes cant even get down Soup.< /p>

Dynamomini-I did not notice but yes we do have a lot in common!!! I forgot to tell you the Titles: The Cattle On A Thousand Hills, and "In My Bare Feet". Also, most Barnes and Nobles carry them, and in my State most Libaries. Hope you get to read them.

Also, i do floor exercises every other day, only for about 10 minutes. Every day I go for a short walk, usually 'bout 10-15 minutes. I exercise in the pool when the Water is warm enouf for me, not too often. I usually try to eat mostly hi Protein foods. A lot of chicken and always with light mayo to get it down, a lot of vegs, a lot of mashed potatoes, and bean soup. Crackers and Peanut Butter, and always at night I have my fav ice cream, Edy's slow churned no sugar added Butter Pecan, only 3 sugars in a half cup. I look forward to that every night. And, it does not have the chemicals in it like most do which is the same thing they make tires out of!! I always drink a LOT of water, and my Protein Drink every day, a lot of salads with a sprinkle of cheese. Not really on any particular diet, just high protein. Thanks for asking, and for your help and interest, and lets us all keep posting here, and keep this line going! It is great to be with others of our age group!!!

Indio - best wishes on the biopsy. Now, as for the exercise. I have been working with a trainer for two years. Thirty pounds more, I started out at one minute of cardio and now can easily do 45 minutes. The one often over looked factor that we need to purchase good shoes, and replace them every 3 months. If you don't have good shoes, you will hurt your knees, hips and ankles. Any time I try to "get by" on old shoes, I pay for it. Make sure you are on low impact machines or walking on softer surfaces. Otherwise jarring occurs every time you step. Also, five times a week is optimal for weight loss. Don't replace food obsession with a hyper-exercise one, because it isn't sustainable and will hurt you psychologically. Be gentle with you. You are precious.

Hope this helps keep you exercising and moving towards a healthy lifestyle.

Hugs,

Michelle

Thanks Michelle - My shoes are brand new - I was walking on the treadmill - I just over did it - it was 110 yesterday(outside) and i walked 35 @ 3 mph at no incline then did the last 5 minutes at a 4 incline. I just got over heated and maybe a little dehyderated (sp) and you will never have to worry about me being hyper-exercising - I HATE exercising.. I just know that i have to do it and it take all that i am to do it... - I want to quit after 10 minutes - I hate being hot.. I know that's sorta funny - since I live in the Desert and for 4 or 5 months out of the yr it is HOT... I have been a total slug bug for the last few yrs - just vaccumming the house i break out in a sweat... I need to start slower and work myself into this - thats it...

I appreciate the luv....

Janet

Hi all! I just shed the 50th pound last Friday!!! I am excited 'bout that! But..I really don't understand this band???? It does not work like I expected. I thought that I could probably eat most things just not so much, and I would be full. But. it is not like that. Since my last fill, and they gave me the max, I could not eat anything without it getting stuck, then one day last week, I could finally eat, and everything I ate that day went through great!! Then from that day till now the same problem, cant eat anything without pain, sticking, and sometimes trying to or do throw up!! Sometimes cant even get down Soup.< p>Dynamomini-I did not notice but yes we do have a lot in common!!! I forgot to tell you the Titles: The Cattle On A Thousand Hills, and "In My Bare Feet". Also, most Barnes and Nobles carry them, and in my State most Libaries. Hope you get to read them.

Also, i do floor exercises every other day, only for about 10 minutes. Every day I go for a short walk, usually 'bout 10-15 minutes. I exercise in the pool when the Water is warm enouf for me, not too often. I usually try to eat mostly hi Protein foods. A lot of chicken and always with light mayo to get it down, a lot of vegs, a lot of mashed potatoes, and bean soup. Crackers and Peanut Butter, and always at night I have my fav ice cream, Edy's slow churned no sugar added Butter Pecan, only 3 sugars in a half cup. I look forward to that every night. And, it does not have the chemicals in it like most do which is the same thing they make tires out of!! I always drink a LOT of water, and my protein drink every day, a lot of salads with a sprinkle of cheese. Not really on any particular diet, just high protein. Thanks for asking, and for your help and interest, and lets us all keep posting here, and keep this line going! It is great to be with others of our age group!!!

Margi

CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS:clap2:

I am 54 years old and I was banded in 4/07 and I have lost 42 lbs..

That's great! What are you eating?

Hi! I just returned from Mexico and Dr. Zapata yesterday. I feel fine . So glad i got my band. I have already lost seven pounds and i just had surgery the 27th. I went to the gym this morning and just did some slow walking on the treadmill. Can someone tell me how you start a new thread and why you start one. Thanks Donna

I don't have a clue how to start a new thread. Sorry!

Janet, the only way I can exercise is to the fan at the gym blowing hard on me. I can't stand being hot either. That has made all the difference in the world for me.

I can't do the 800 calorie diets. I can do it on some days, but I do better at 1000 calories. I can do fine all day long, and really have the calories low, but some evenings the head hunger gets to me. I have low calorie Snacks, but they add up, other than the sugar free popsicles. they are only like 10 or 20 calories.

:ranger: Go to the title...general lap band discussion, click to see all the topics... then click on "start new thread"

Diann - Congrats on the weight loss... I can't wait to see where I am going to be 3 months from now

I don't have a clue how to start a new thread. Sorry!

Janet, the only way I can exercise is to the fan at the gym blowing hard on me. I can't stand being hot either. That has made all the difference in the world for me. Sounds just like me.. I find the treadmill that is right under the fan. When i over did it the other night i got to the gym late and couldn't get the one right under the fan.

I can't do the 800 calorie diets. I can do it on some days, but I do better at 1000 calories. I can do fine all day long, and really have the calories low, but some evenings the head hunger gets to me. I have low calorie Snacks, but they add up, other than the sugar free popsicles. they are only like 10 or 20 calories. Again sounds like me - I can do low calories during the day - but at night i am hungry - i am averaging 1000 calories a day - I have gained 1.5 since moving to mushiees - I read somewhere (aussie jackie) that if you are only doing 700- 800 calories a day you are going to screw up your motabolizm (sp) - she has done very well on 1000 - 1200 a day and has loss. This is what I want - I want to eat regular food in smaller portions.

Dang! There isn't a way to skip calorie counting, is there? I hate figuring all that out... Guess I'm going to have to learn to love it, huh?

Do most of you keep a food journal?

Dang! There isn't a way to skip calorie counting, is there? I hate figuring all that out... Guess I'm going to have to learn to love it, huh?

Do most of you keep a food journal?

I am keeping a food journal just because i have found in the past that this works best for me to write it down (prior diets) - I am writing what i eat - calories and Protein - as i am suppose to get minimum 60 grms.

I just want you all to be sooooo proud of me - yesterday - i was NOT FEELING 100% - i was very tired from not sleeping the night before and feeling just not real great :sick(weak from not eating mostly mental i think) anyway this is when i tend to over eat i was looking for comfort food :hungry:(in the mushie stage) - I started to fry bacon to make white gravy to go over my mash potato.... I looked at the bacon frying and said to myself - you didn't go through all this trouble to get banded and now you are going to eat high fat junk - it might be considered a mushie - but you know you aren't suppose to eat this sh*t.. So I threw away the bacon fat and just had the mash potatos.... :clap2: yellow crooked neck squash and a hb patty ground up - not pureed but ground up real good..

Diann, Big As Life, and Margi - Way to go on your big weight losses!

IndioGirl - Doesn't it feel great to be able to throw away something we know we shouldn't eat? I travel with my job and I would destroy the "treats" they put in my room prior to check-in. Believe it or not, the last trip I left the treat in the room for three days and didn't even want it (post fill)!

DynamoMini and Margi - You have inspired me with your talk about exercise. Count me in the group that doesn't really enjoy it. But my DH finished setting up our new exercise room today, so I guess I better get in there tonight and work hard!

I've also heard that we should be eating at least 1000 calories a day but I can't follow all the "rules" and get that much in! I am trying not to snack between the three meals and most of the time I am just not hungry. I'm averaging around 700-800 calories a day. I think I'll stick with this until my weight loss slows down, then kickstart it with more calories if I think my metabolism has shut down.

I have been recording everything I eat using DietPower, an online website someone recommended on one of the threads. I really like all the info I can get from it.

One of the hardest things for me has been to wait 45-60 minutes after a meal to drink. Anyone else having trouble with that?

ktkt,,,

I don't count calories. My surgeon nor dietician ever mentioned calories to me. I'm comfortable that IF I eat the foods I'm supposed to, in the amounts I'm supposed to, exercise, get all my Water, ,things will fall into place. So far,,it's worked for me. But then,,that's just what I'm doing. I had a fill last week and it's so tight I can't eat anything without having terrible pain. SOoooooo in hte morning I'm going to see my surgeon and see if I'm just a tad too full in my band. Hopefully,,I can find that sweet spot.

banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS