Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Little off topic - but clothes shopping helps me decide 2 get VSG

I know this is a little off topic but I need to vent this. I'm just back from clothes shopping. I've been undecided about the VSG and this is about to push me over. I have nothing that fits so off to shop in the fat girl section, yuck. Only to find nothing that fits there. I don't understand the buyers and why they think that fat people only want to animal prints! I mean seriously I look like an elephant with zebra skin, lovely. My arms are so big that even a 3x doesn't work anymore. I can't tell you the self hatred I felt looking in the mirror.

My gorgeous teenage daughter pick out the cutest little top with cap sleeves. I wanted to stand there and cry, right there in the store. I feel completely trapped in this body and shopping only makes it worse. I look forward to the day I can enjoy shopping again. :lol:

For whatever your reason, your health can be greatly improved also by choosing to have this surgery which is one of the most important reasons. However, I must agree the clothes thing when losing weight is pretty awesom. Best of luck with your decision.

I got sleeved 8/15. I was a 3x, which was getting tighter. I now can wear a 1x & have gone from a size 24 to a 20. It DOES work & I believe I'll be out of the plus size dept before I know it. But, it's not magic--still takes work--mentally & physicallysmile.gif

Have faith, there's lots of support out there....Try & be proud of who you are & focus less on what you look like--sounds like you have a beautiful daughter to be proud of as well. Whatever your decision--I wish you a happy, healthy life!

I know this is a little off topic but I need to vent this. I'm just back from clothes shopping. I've been undecided about the VSG and this is about to push me over. I have nothing that fits so off to shop in the fat girl section, yuck. Only to find nothing that fits there. I don't understand the buyers and why they think that fat people only want to animal prints! I mean seriously I look like an elephant with zebra skin, lovely. My arms are so big that even a 3x doesn't work anymore. I can't tell you the self hatred I felt looking in the mirror.

My gorgeous teenage daughter pick out the cutest little top with cap sleeves. I wanted to stand there and cry, right there in the store. I feel completely trapped in this body and shopping only makes it worse. I look forward to the day I can enjoy shopping again. :lol:

OMG, I was shopping this weekend for a dress for my niece's wedding. I look and feel like a cow. The 24's at the department store are too dang tight. I hate it. I just wanted to cry. I just want to shop in the normal sizes!

I haven't decided yet between the sleeve and the band. One or the other, I'm going to do it. Thanks, Ellie, for your post! You give me confidence!

Hi there, I just wanted to tell you I completely empathize with you. I was there too, once upon a time. I was pushing size 30W and 4X tops. I couldn't shop anywhere except for the boutiques that specialized in very large clothing. I couldn't even shop at Walmart or Target!! They didn't even make clothes that large for me.

I want you to know, that by taking this step to better yourself and getting the sleeve, and with some hard work you WILL GET HERE! Today I'm wearing sizes 6-8 and some 10's and small or medium tops. I even have some XSmalls!! I can put on some 4's but are too tight in the thighs.

DON'T beat yourself up!!! You are beautiful, no matter what. You are also strong and willing to do something about it, and THAT is the most important lesson of all of this. Soon you will be on the losers bench right alongside all of us and you will be excited to share your new outfits and let us all know every time you fit into smaller sizes. Heck, soon you may even be wearing your daughter's clothes!!! ;)

Be blessed, and be proud! *hugs*

Clothes shopping was one of my motivators too. I'm getting to be a bit too old for the trendy stores I could never shop at- Hollister, Aeropostal, Abercrombie, etc... But, it would be nice to fit into department store clothes in the misses section.

Sometimes Lane Bryant has a nice selection, but overall plus sized clothing is matrony and frumpy. I shared clothes with my mom as a teenager! It would be great to be able to dress fashionably and look hot doing it!

I now wear XL's and can *barely* fit into L's in the misses section of department stores :) No luck on pants, yet. I still wear sizes 16-18 pants.

Thanks all to your reply and support. I'm on the loser bench now. I got the sleeve last Friday and back home yesterday.

I know it sounded like I was completely focus on just what I looked like and of course that is part of it but its ONLY part of it. I feel so blessed for all the things in my life, especially my family and I am glad that I have chosen this tool to help me, too.

thanks again all!

Thanks all to your reply and support. I'm on the loser bench now. I got the sleeve last Friday and back home yesterday.

I know it sounded like I was completely focus on just what I looked like and of course that is part of it but its ONLY part of it. I feel so blessed for all the things in my life, especially my family and I am glad that I have chosen this tool to help me, too.

thanks again all!

Yay Ellie CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW TUMMY!!! Rest, sip and walk - and heal well!!! :)

Thanks feeling pretty good except for some gas pains. Not interested in eating but think my little tummy feels empty, lots of gurgling. Been walking lots. Still trying to figure out how to get all the Protein but not stressing it.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

OMG, I was shopping this weekend for a dress for my niece's wedding. I look and feel like a cow. The 24's at the department store are too dang tight. I hate it. I just wanted to cry. I just want to shop in the normal sizes!

I haven't decided yet between the sleeve and the band. One or the other, I'm going to do it. Thanks, Ellie, for your post! You give me confidence!

After what I learned in my Options class at Kaiser, you couldn't pay me to have the band. They take out as many as they put in!

So, I hope you do your research before deciding on it!

Good luck!