Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve & the Holidays

Hello my October Sleeve Sisters!

Have you thought about the timing of this and how close it is to both Thanksgiving & Christmas? Are you worried about that at all?

Just curious.

Hope you all have a fabulous day!

I have thought about it and I am actually glad that I am getting it done before the holidays! I will be almost 2 months post op once Thanksgiving hits so I will be eating solids again! I am so excited knowing that by then I will know what to eat and not to eat but most of all I won't be able to eat 2 plates full of food, let alone 1! food surrounds our family holidays but I am going to try to incorporate games or activities to go along with it. . .that way I am not standing next to the food tables grazing like I used to! I think it is mind over matter!

That's hilarious.....know why? I"m making a turkey dinner this weekend :D That's right, with all the trimmings, lol!! I thought and thought and thought over these past 6-7 months what I would REALLY miss when it came to food....would I miss eating half a pizza? Nope. Would I miss eating a cheeseburger and fries? Nope. Would I miss cheesecake and Cookies? Nope. But what I would miss was eating Thanksgiving dinner, then going back to nibble at the turkey, and the turkey bun sammiches the next couple of days. Sooooo......this weekend is it. My very last hurrah. I don't believe in the last supper syndrome...I will be good for the two weeks before my surgery, and have been pretty much good for over six months, but I do want my turkey dinner!!

I know I'll be able to have a little bit come Thanksgiving, but not much at all, probably just a couple of bites, but now I know I'll be okay with it!! And next year, I'll be able to 'normal' just a lot less.

My hubby is happy because he will get two Thanksgiving's this year :rolleyes:

Hi JenniLee! Wow, your surgery is coming up quick, how cool is that! You've got a great attitude about being sleeved so close to the holidays. I love the idea of games.

Hopefully I'll be able to eat a little turkey that day too. I have this huge Italian family and the word "holiday" pretty much means "feast". I actually think I'm more worried about not feeling like I'm fitting in rather than not eating all fo the food. This could be good though, I certainly won't be worried that anyone else is looking at the huge pile of food on my plate. :)

Chris can i come over for your Turkey dinner? LOL!

I think this will force me to really make each bite count. I won't be able to eat much so I'll have to choose wisely ... not a normal concept for Thanksgiving! :)

I am not an october sleever, as I just had mine done, but the holiday's was something I thought of a lot. October is huge in my family, between birthdays and anniversaries and haloween there is always a lot of food and a lot of baking. I was excited to have my surgery before all of this. For me, I will be on solids by thanksgiving and christmas so I am not going to be very strict with what I eat, but the amount. I will be careful with carbs, since I've been low-carb for a few months now, but I definitely plan on partaking on my holiday favorites, just in small amounts and Protein first.

Three years ago, I had my band surgery at almost the same time I'm having VSG next week. My first day of "real food" literally landed on Thanksgiving Day, 2008. It was actually one of the most special holidays ever. I ate one bite of EVERYTHING, including the pumpkin pie! I left feeling wonderfully satisfied and absolutely convinced I would have no problem eating like that forever. And I probably wouldn't have, if this stupid band hadn't sprung a leak.:cursing:

Although I'm excited to have the revision and get back on track again, I'm entering this surgery with a little less confidence than last time. With the band, I lost 100 pounds in 1-1/2 years..... and then gained back 65 pounds in 8 months! I hate that I'm having to "start over" and terrified that I may not be so successful this time. I just can't go through this disappointment again.:crying:

So.........the point is.........Thanksgiving and Christmas will be absolutely wonderful for all of us. We will feel and look so much better by then and we won't feel the least bit deprived of our favorite foods!:D

My opinion its the perfect time , you have the most restriction and are fresh from surgery no hunger yet you will not even want to have all the bad stuff. Not like me :unsure: I will be 8 months out come Christmas I am afraid I will have the ability to eat more!!

Hello Oct. sleevers my surgery date is Oct 10th and one of the first things I thought about was the holidays. I counted the days and were I would be with my food on Thanksgiviing......I will be having a small dinner this Sunday Oct.2 for my family maybe we can call it my pre thanksgiving , xmas dinner... :D .

ANOTHER one for the 10th! Welcome, welcome, Angelica! I'll add you to our roster so you can see all your buddies who are also on the 10th. So glad you are here!!

I'll admit my first thought was "noooo, I can't drink on Halloween!" but then realized I'll be 3 weeks post-op and I'll have most likely lost the pounds needed to fit into my costume. :D As for Thanksgiving and Christmas I don't feel I'll have any food issues. I've always been more about cooking and the family time than eating.

Hey October Sleevers! Welcome to the new YOU's!!! Your days are soon approaching and your new lives are beginning. You're going to have it going on this time next year!!! :D

I was sleeved on 9/15/10. So my Sleeversary was just before last year's Holidays started. I'm going to be bluntly honest. The Holidays did affect me to an extent. I did allow myself little indulgences here and there and made excuses to do what I wanted. Do I regret it? Not really.

I'll tell you why... I did not have surgery to become a total food "Nazi". It was the Holidays and I wanted to enjoy it with my family, doing what my family did. Funny thing, I still felt left out in a lot of ways. I was done with my Thanksgiving meal after about 6 bites. My family LOVES TO EAT! They continued eating for hours and I was still full from my few bites of Turkey with gravy, bite of mashed potatoes, bite of this and that. I barely had any room for several bites of my favorite pumpkin Pie... LOL!

I also enjoyed my Christmas and New Year's meals as well. I won't lie to you, it probably did slow up my weight loss a little bit. However, here I am still having gotten to my first goal at around 7 months out. I reached my Post Goal goal at around 10 months out. So, as you can see - I still worked it and got all the weight off that I wanted.

I stay mostly on track, but I'm not 100% perfect at it. Maybe I was more like 90%. That still got me to where I wanted to be in less than a year.

Good luck y'all!!! Stay true, and stay YOU!!!

This post hits home to me because I was thinking a lot about the holidays when I decided to do this. I had a goal in mind - I had to have my surgery before November 1 or I would wait until mid January. My closest family members, who I spend Thanksgiving with, all know about the surgery and are all very supportive, but I wanted to at least be able to join at the table without feeling bad or making anyone else feel bad. My surgery date is 10/11 so I will be 6 1/2 weeks out by Thanksgiving and will certainly be able to taste a little bit of everything by then.

As for Christmas, we Celebrate with extended family and I'm not telling them about it, at least not yet. They will also be supportive, but I just don't feel the need for everyone to know how I am losing weight. I just want to surprise everyone by Christmas. I don't expect to have lost too much by then, but I am hoping I could lose enough for it to show by Christmas.

That was why I pushed so hard to get all my doctors visits done quickly. I have 1 day off a week (thursday) so for 3 straight weeks I had 2 or 3 doctors visits every thursday, and then a few more tests and I was all done with all of it in 4 weeks and was able to submit to the insurance company. Turned out they approved me in a week so I could have had it even sooner. Can't wait!

I'm also excited to have my surgery before the holidays. I think it will be a good thing. I just want to get on the road to the new me ASAP! We are all here for each other and we can get through this TOGETHER! Just think how good we'll all look by the new year!!!;)

Hello October Sleevers!!! I decided to be sleeved before the holidays because I would not have been able to have it done til mid January if I waited. My job does not allow anytime off between Thanksgiving and New Years. I am happy though to have it done because it will save me a lot of unwanted pounds. I don't know about everyone else, but during the holidays I seem to be surrounded by food everywhere. People at my job are always making things or ordering things for everyone. Although I try to resist it is very hard when there are treats everywhere you look. I think by having WLS before the holidays it will give me the ability to stay focused on my health and not give in to the constant temptation. According to my post-op eating plan, I will not be able to actually chew food til the new year. That should be interesting, but I am so excited about starting this new stage of my life. My sister is also getting sleeved in November and she is the one that normally does the majority of the holiday cooking so at least we will be able to support each other.