Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering the surgery but scared to death!!

Hi, I'm new to this site. My name is Marka I'm 39 and about 100 lbs overweight, and I'm considering the sleeve, but I'm scared to death! I have read so many wonderful things about it, but was wondering if anyone would share what the first couple of weeks are like? Is there a lot of nausa, pain?? I'm just not sure what to expect especially long term. When I read things like Hair loss, trouble staying hydrated, becoming malnurished..... it's a lot to take in...

Thanks for any advice.....

Marka

For me, the struggles early out are so worth the long-term. I had a complicated recovery due to being a revision, but others struggle as well. The one thing you can't focus on is the "bad". All the stuff you listed is temporary. Really, it doesn't last forever. Drinking and eating become easier with each passing week, hair grows back, nausea doesn't happen to everyone, and I was never malnourished.

Seeing my family live life without me because I was too fat do fun stuff, and realizing I was going to end up in a pine box way too soon if I didn't do something about my weight was way scarier! ! !

For me, the struggles early out are so worth the long-term. I had a complicated recovery due to being a revision, but others struggle as well. The one thing you can't focus on is the "bad". All the stuff you listed is temporary. Really, it doesn't last forever. Drinking and eating become easier with each passing week, hair grows back, nausea doesn't happen to everyone, and I was never malnourished.

Seeing my family live life without me because I was too fat do fun stuff, and realizing I was going to end up in a pine box way too soon if I didn't do something about my weight was way scarier! ! !

Yes, you are right. I also miss out on a lot of things with my family because my knees, back and feet hurt. I don't have any weight related illnesses "yet", but at this rate I'm sure I will. I guess I still need to research the surgical option some more.

Thanks so much for sharing...

The first couple days are rough. I had NO naseau once I left the hospital. I only vomited once after the barium swallow study. I felt much better after a week. After 3 weeks I was 90% and 100% by week 4.

I have LOST 95 pounds in 8 months. i am at goal weight and feel awesome. I feel great and would do it all again. It was so worth it. BEST DECISION EVER!!!!

I'm 3 days post op- Was released from the hospital yesterday. I don't have any regrets so far- I mean

it hasn't been effort free by any means- but the struggles I've endured so far have been bearable-

and everyday seems to get better.

I have lost 91 pounds since my 1st appointment with the surgeon (January 2011), and 100 pounds since my top weight - this time last year. This is the best thing I ever did for myself. I have ZERO regrets.

I was in the hospital one night and took 3 weeks off from work to recuperate (I have to make a long drive or it would have been two weeks). No major complications. Any early nausea was bearable, the early acid problem was easily controlled by meds, and I am now tapering off of them. My hair is thin - but if I end up temporarily wearing a wig (worse case and I'm not anywhere near needing one) so be it.I would rather be a thin woman in a wig that a fat woman with my own hair.

I spent a long time doing research - I realized this was my best chance at a healthier, longer life. The risk/reward equation for me was heavily weighted to the rewards side.

Good luck to you and your journey.

I am almost 2 weeks out and I have to say it wasnt nearly as bad as I had prepared for. The pain isn't bad, I was drinking enough and have only had several waves of nausea that quickly passed. I am newly sleeved and already know that this was the best decision of my life. I would be saying this even if I did have complications. Weight has controlled too many things in my life and I am sure it is similar for you. End the end my health and happiness were worth more than possible (and rare) complications. Good luck while making your decision. Either way is not the wrong decision.

Hi there, not everyone is the same, so not everyone will have the same experience. I will say I felt the same, measured the pros and cons, and still had a difficult time at the beginning. You need to see what benefits you, will this help you in the long run.

Some thing I never openly admitted here, I do suffer from Migraines myself. Had one recently, they gave me a zomig nasal. Which before never worked. It did this time. I also deal with anxiety and insomnia. Which both have creaped up on me, I take meds for just not the dose I used to take. Hopefully in time, I don't need these. But if this is your worry, I can say there are things that you can still take.

Nausea~ I dealt with yes. I swore at the nurses and doctor, zofran does NOT work dor me, it took me to vomiting blood for them to finally get it (another story). They then put me on phenergran. They will help you.

Pain~ At first yes, (goes along with another story) but the day after my second surgery I was fine. Each day gets better.

One of my recomendations....have a nice pillow to cough with. It helped me. As far as the malnourishment and hair falling out, I believe these two things are plastered in my head. Is why I drink Water all the time.Sip sip sip sip sip......then in time it will; be chew chew chew chew chew.... Every one has a story, you will too. Some are good, some are not. It is how you deal with it. I would be happy to talk to you about my experience. Along with other peoples who are friends. They helped me tremendously. Hang in there, and never feel afraid to ask questions, or put out how you really feel. Someone may have been down that road who can tell you how they dealt with it.

I wish you the best no matter which decision you shall make. If you need anything at all, feel free to shout.