Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I may be sorry for asking this..........

Bettina,

I have sleep apnea and have a machine but don't use it much, i am scheduled for surgery Aug 7th, did the dr. say why you had to use

the CPAP for 2 weeks before sugery?

Hi Anniemay!

Oh boy the doc had a lot to say about wearing the cpap for 2 weeks prior to surgery! Because you stop breathing with sleep apnea...it puts a stress on your heart.....and I would not have believed this myself except for the fact that I had a heart ultrasound last year and everything was fine...and now its not (per the new pre-op ultrasound). My general practicioner says she things the change may just be due to the fact that my blood pressure was up a few times this year. But, it was up because of the apnea, so that is another point toward why you should wear it. The doctors told me (pulmonary and lap band doc's) that 2 weeks will allow my breathing to regulate itself and gives the heart a rest --you know, just so risk of not breathing while still under in recovery is lessened.

But how can you sleep if you are not wearing the mask??? I can't wait to get mine to finally get a goods night sleep...I hadn't slept in a few days...so I called the apnea clinic yesterday at 5:20am...to see if I could take Tylenol PM to get to sleep..yay they said yes and I did take it. For the last few months...I couldn't figure out why I was sooo tired all the time...it was awful. I would practically OD on the coffee and soda just to stay awake...but that only lead to chest pains...ugh. I am actually really glad I found out what the problem is and it can be treated. My brother-in-law has it too, so now I have family support. I wish my husband understood, he thinks it just my weight making me tired..ugh!!!

August 7th huh? That was the date I wanted...it's my birthday. But since I don't have the mask yet, i have to wait...oh well!

Take care, and I'll be thinking about how your doing on that day!!!!

Jack! I have one of those too!!! hehehe You are such a nut!!!

Off topic: How do you overcome ice cream???? I am truly believing that ice cream comes straight from the devil!!!!!!!!!

OH, about the topic - I would have this surgery again if something went wrong with my current band. I was self-pay, so that says a bunch!!!!! I can attest that the work you do is all yours, the band just helps with Portion Control, and mine doesn't like certain foods (she throws them back at me in the form of a PB). I hope I don't have to go through it again, but I definitely would!!!

~cheri

I know, I struggled with South Beach diet for 9 mos. and only lost about 20 lbs.......so disgusting because you need to weightloss to keep you going, since I have gotten older I simply cannot lose much weight at all

and I don't have the energy to run like Oprah!!!

Bettina,

My problem is when I wear the mask, I simply cannot go to sleep unless I take anti anxiety medicine and then I feel lousy in the morning, I can sleep

just not as good. I don't know what I am going to do though not much time left and I tried again last night to wear it and pull it off. I hate the

thing you can't sleep on your side cause air escapes around the mask.

I love my band. The only thing I regret or wish was that the band was lifelong rather than longterm and requiring more surgeries. I just wanted something permanant.

Bettina,

My problem is when I wear the mask, I simply cannot go to sleep unless I take anti anxiety medicine and then I feel lousy in the morning, I can sleep

just not as good. I don't know what I am going to do though not much time left and I tried again last night to wear it and pull it off. I hate the

Have you tried a different "mask"? I was freaking when i first put it on, but i talked myself into because I have to do it for surgery...that and I really don't want to get heart disease if I can possibly prevent it. (it took me a good 20 mins to calm down to put the mask on.....funny thing, when you become aclimated to it, it feels like no air at all....which i find odd..but oh well! LOL For your health's sake, I'd look into other face pieces. Best Wishes!!!

If you have it done in Mexico....where are you going to go to have your fills done?

I am not sure I'm far enough out to answer the original question....but so far I'm glad to have a band.

Regarding above quote, I live in San Diego, so that was one reason I decided on Mexico. I am close enought to go for fills. There are fill doctors in the area as well if I decide I don't like going down there for fills. I should be having one soon, so we'll see.

Bettina,

There is a brand new mask out and I am lucky enough to have it. It fits into the nostrils of your nose just like oxygen. I can't say enough wonderful things about this mask. It is much less cumberson; you can watch TV; wear your glasses; and sleeping with it is wonderful. I too didn't like having my nose completely covered with the old mask, but I did it, until I could get ahold of this new one. Ask a respiratory therapist about it or your PCP.

Lots of luck,

Dody, That is the one I am getting!! I tried the air pillow one...but the part that went up over your nose was too heavy and it kept slipping off..so I am getting the tube with the nostril things too...so lightweight! And yes I can wear my glasses too which is important...lol, if i want to relax before falling asleep!

Dody, That is the one I am getting!! I tried the air pillow one...but the part that went up over your nose was too heavy and it kept slipping off..so I am getting the tube with the nostril things too...so lightweight! And yes I can wear my glasses too which is important...lol, if i want to relax before falling asleep!

I have a daughter that works for respiratory therapy and does the buying. The man selling the new C-pap masks gave her one for me when she told him I had sleep apnea. That is what prompted her to order loads of them, because I could say nothing but good things about it. There is a world of difference in how you feel with the nostril ones. Good luck to you.

No, the band is not permanant. Inamed states that the band is designed for LONGTERM not LIFELONG. It is designed to be placed between 5-10 years. Some shorter depending on the person. Some maybe longer?

However, I think their point is to teach new eating habits for "after" expiration of the band. Or, you can have a new one placed.

Absolutetly, the alternative would be to continue suffering the shame, dread and health effects that obesity has on the body.

I have tried 2 others but I am a light sleeper and don't like things on my face or head, I'm gonna try again tonight. This is one of the main reasons

I am getting the surgery. My Dad had sleep apnea, so does my brother and sister so surgery may not help, but funny thing, I received a letter

from the dentist saying they now make mouth pieces to relieve sleep

apnea, the cost is $240, if weightloss doesn't help I will look into it.

Don't know which came first, sleep apnea or huge weight gain, it all

happened around the same time.

Take Care and pray for me on the 7th of Aug. ...........Anniemay