Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I may be sorry for asking this..........

No, I wouldn't. That's why when I had scar tissue issues, rendering the band useless, I choose to have a duodenal switch bypass. I choose that because it is permenant. See, sometimes what one person wants in a surgery, is a negative to another. Such as dumping with the RNY. I chose the DS because I didn't want to dump. I have friends who chose the RNY because they did.

The band is a great, nonvasive place to start. But, it's tough, a real hard row to hoe. If you don't get your head in line with your stomach, you are going to have problems. Especially if something should happen like what has happened to several of us here. You have to have the band removed or unfilled. I thought I was on top of it all until my first unfill. Then it came perfectly clear that the addiction was still there, lurking under the surface.

I'm not jaded, as some might think. I had my band for 3 years. It is hard. The bottom line is just like the bypass is not for everyone, neither is the band. Some people do well with it, some don't. Just like every weight loss surgery. The type of eater you are makes a big difference in a banded journey, in my opinion. Not dissing our baby bandsters, but once you've been "out" (post-op) for a year or two or three....you start to accept the reality of what the band can do for you. It will hold your hand, but the hard work belongs to you. It's hard to grasp that idea when the weight is falling off almost effortlessly, which is the case with alot of newly banded people. Not all, though. Some have fought for every pound.

I wish you tremendous success with your journey. No matter what surgery we have, we all have a common goal in mind, to be happy and healthy.

Rachele makes a good point about not all the surgeries being for everyone. I also agree completely that the band will "hold your hand" while you do the work.

In my case, I have to diet to lose weight. BUT, when I am not dieting, I don't gain the weight back. It's like... climbing a mountain, and when you get tired, there's something behind you to rest your back on. I can pick back up right where I left off when I've got the wind back in my sails, you know?

I am about a year out and have had a few problems. Nothing major, but problems. I would do it again in a second. I am very happy with my weight loss so far. I am continuing to stay on track. If I hadn't done this I can only imagine where I would be.

I am 3+ months post op and it has definately been the best thing I could have done. I had some pretty significant pain right after surgery---but it's surgery. My only other issues have been with PB ing. But the weight I have lost and the way I feel and will continue to feel outweigh anything negative.

Good Luck!

The only other thing I would add is...it's a tool not a miracle...I still excercise 5 or more days a week and eat small portions and track my calories........it has been a great tool...but it's me too

3 years here. Rebanded due to slippage after one year. My only disappointment is that after 3 years, my esophagus no longer gives me the signals it once did, which leaves my esophagus in the position to become stretched and atrophied. I struggle to maintain and it is pretty much up to me to manage my intake. So far, I'm managing that, but I suspect I'll eventually have to remove the band (surgery #3). If I thought I could do it again with better results, I would.

I have lost 6 lbs in the last week and a half. My husband thinks this will convince me that I can do this without the band....I told him if approved I am still being banded. I don't have eating issues per se, what I have is a husband whose mercy I am at who cookes like a gourmet...lol.

The band for me will be my internal diet pill...in no way is this a cure...its my crutch. Once banded, I will have the ammo i need to flatly turn down the homemade goodies he makes. The scars will be my constant reminders of why I allowed myself to be scarred. I too am the type that when I lose the weight, I keep it off. (and I am talking a serious attempt at losing weight such as when i took phen-phen) (which ---I looked pretty good apparently because 9 months after losing the weight I got Rachel -now 9.) I will have the excuse to tell my boss "excuse me, I cannot be chained to my desk as I had WLS and I am required to get up-its my right". It will be my excuse to make time for me for a change--I will be able to take a guilt free walk even if I have to lift my shirt to show the scars..and say "ahem...remember why I did this?"...lol Its time for me for a change. In the past I have taken diet pills...somethimes will ill effects...I am no longer willing to injest drugs into my system that I am not certain will not do harm. Yesterday I found out about my sleep apnea...now more than ever I want the band. With that, and all the supportive and honest feedback from this forum,...I have no second thoughts about being banded.

I am so glad I found out about LBT...(ha ha I found out from reading someone's MySpace profile...go figure!)

Thanks again! Best Wishes to everyone!!!

I am fortunate because I have not had the complications others have experienced. But my band is weird - one bite too much and I pb it up.

I don't believe I would have had the confidence to quit my job, become a contractor, move to Africa, etc if I hadn't lost the weight and learned that food didn't control me anymore. The band has given me an opportunity to experience more in life than food.

And I worry alot about it. I don't have medical care available in this country. And right now, there is a jet fuel shortage to even fly to a dr. Can you tell I am a compulsive worrier? Yet, I am glad I have the band and I have a decent body and am in good health.

Good luck in making your decision. Celeste

I am only 3 months out. I had some trouble at the start....my stomach was so swollen that nothing would go through, not even Water, which led to exhaustion and dehydration. The dehydration led to a trip to the ER with kidney stones (all within a month). But now, I feel really good. I was definately the exception with my complications. I have gotten to know my band and how my body reacts to it. I am 42 pounds down and am amazed and excited everytime the scale drops. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone that is considering it. And let them know that it is work, but the rewards are fantastic.

Even though my band is such a pain in the *** I would still have it done. After all I am over 50 kilos lighter. Thank God!!!

I am almost a year out. I have only had one major problem where I had to be unfilled in an emergency. I have a very picky band, some days I can eat normal, other days, everything makes me get what I like to call "locked up." Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY. There are days that eating makes me feel sick, other days that are completely normal. I can't eat out very often, which saves money! I just know if I am going to be around a lot of people, like at a party, I don't eat, or if I do, it's a few bites here and there. That way I do not have to experience being "locked up" or anything of the sort in front of people. I tend to be very private about my banding, so this is why I avoid confrontation whenever possible. Whatever the decision, I think you will find, it is different for everyone. Good luck with your decision!

I'd do it again too. I've lost about 60 lbs and the only complications are 2 overfills. I am sort of "stuck" now but also realize I should excersize.

hello, i have not been banded yet but i do see the surgeon next week. i have been thinking about doing this for a long time. i want to feel good again. so although I'm scared (kinda) the things i read on here everyday definitely help me

I had my surgery yesterday. THe gas pain is awful! How long does it take to go away? No pain from incisions.