Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know it's a no-no, but...

What's the verdict on alcohol during the liquid phase? I'm two weeks post-op and kinda wanna join in the party a little bit. I know that i definitely shouldn't be drinking any carbonated mixers, but will a shot of something-or-other severely kill me or my stomach? I kinda got myself into something, too, and I don't wanna bail.

I know it aint good for the diet, either, but...

Advice would be great.

I waited until I was 6 weeks out. Alcohol can be a major stomach irritant, and since you are on liquids it's highly likely to affect you much faster than it would if you could eat real food.

I would definately follow ALL of the rules to the letter for the first 6 weeks after surgery. It's supposed to be the healing phase, and you don't want anything to go against your healing.

My doctor said nothing about no alchohol. I would count it into your calories & just make sure you don't have carbonation & keep the alchohol to a small amount. But, I am NOT your doctor. :(

My doctor said that I could have alchohol on the first day after sergury.

Just look out for the cal. and the carbonation.

I had alcohol right away. I didn't have any carbonated alcohol (beer) for at least a month tho... I was Skeered!

Just take it easy. I would see what your Dr. says and follow his/her rules.

PLEASE HELP:

I was banded on August 1st. ( week and two days ago. Tonight I had a huge craving which I stupidly fulfilled: salmon teryaki with white rice. I think I ate about the same or a little more than I did pre-banded. I have such a stomach-ache. I feel soooooo sick. I feel WAY too full and like its NOT subsiding. (I finishes eating at around 8:45pm

I should note that since I was banded, I have had little to no restriction whatsoever.

Does anyone have any tips on how to feel better ASAP instead of waiting for this probably slower than normal digestion? Or why I feel so sick? i know they said rice may not be tolerated. I don't think anything is stuck in stoma or btwn band and rest of stomach.

thank you so much in advance for any and all suggestions.

Repeat after me: "Just because I can doesn't mean I should."

Don't play fast and loose with the rules....they are there for a reason.

Papaya enzyme will help the digestion process go faster. You can get them at the health food store (like GNC).

How could food be stuck between the band and the stomach? I am confused! (not suprising though!) Anyway - re. alcohol - I have had flat beer. Not great but I'm not gonna lie about it. I went to Bunco and it's just sort of a habit I guess. I just opened a beer and poured it over ice and let it sit out about 10 minutes and I was fine. I know its not great for the calorie count but its my one night a month to be wild and since all the other girls were EATING taco salad, I had my little indulgence. I don't think wine would be bad. Or some something smooth with juice or Water. Have fun and relax!

what I meant was between where the band is placed where its cinched around and the rest of my stomach

Kmw:

Hopefully that uncomfortable feeling eventually subsided, but it's a hard and fast lesson. I cheated in the first 3 weeks with some foods that were slightly more solid than liquid but I washed them down with Water. Now that I've progressed to solids and had my first fill I STILL haven't tried eating anything like rice or red meat. I could tolerate bread pre-fill and chicken, but I have no idea how that might work now that I'm filled.

You can start eating fish (rice isn't recommended until the solid stages) in a couple of weeks. Wait it out from now on. I know those cravings can be a bitch.

And on the alcohol front, me and white wine have decided we get along juuust fine. I never was much of a beer drinker, but I have been enjoying a glass or two of chardonnay when I go out. My surgeon actually said that they've done studies and those who incorporate some wine into their diet tend to do better over the long run.

Good luck!