Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok... so I'm putting my business in the streets

Hello all!

I am desperate to have this surgery, and lose the weight that has held me back from living a normal life for the past 10+ years. Unfortunately I have an extremely high deductible of 10k, and my insurance won't pay out a dime until this is met. I managed to save up half of the amount, but I don't know where I'm going to get the rest from. I was thinking that maybe I could find a finance company to pay the remaining amount. My husband said he would co-sign for me because my credit isn't so good. My question is this: what is the probability that we would get approved if his score is 660, and mines is 600?

all you can do is try!! Have you met any deductible already this year? Can you change to a lower deductible plan starting January? Just a couple thoughts!

You can look into having the surgery in mexico. I know it is a lot cheaper. I have read a lot of good thing about some of the doctors there. Alot of people on this site went there for their sleeve. Good luck.

I really am considering it, but honestly I'm scared to actually go through with it. It just seems so drastic, and I've never even gone anywhere west of NC, let alone to another country. On the other hand it would be nice to skip the whole insurance process, and save a lot of money. Tjharmon how was your experience, from start to finish?

If your deductible is 10k, then you are basically paying for the surgery out of pocket because most VSG's are not much more than that in the USA. I would recommend doing your research and going to the one of the reputable surgeons in Mexico. They do HUNDREDS of these surgeries and can probably do it in their sleep. It's not as drastic as you might think and you will save quite a bit of money.

What exactly does 5500.00 cover? Air fare? surgery? Complication insurance? A massage boy? :-) I was just denied by my insurance, just curious, I am still planning to fight the battle.

i decided to go to Mexico because of insurance problems--$5500 is all you need for Dr Kelly

What exactly does 5500.00 cover? Air fare? surgery? Complication insurance? A massage boy? :-) I was just denied by my insurance, just curious, I am still planning to fight the battle.

The typical Medical Tourism cost covers the surgery, the stay in the country where the surgery takes place, meds while you are there and typically transportation to and from the airport, for instance San Diego airport from Tijuana. They may also have phone follow up care or a further discount on cosmetic procedures for 1 year, say a Tummy Tuck if needed. There is a supplemental insurance to cover complications available at extra cost. Transportation and any hotel before or after is your cost.

It's not for everyone. I was desperate and had a bit of money left over from my Mom's estate. I was also having a hell of a time medically and wanted something done immediately. I had backed myself in a corner with all kinds of health issues. Now at 9 months out I have lost 160+ pounds, BP and blood sugar are great, neurological problems are gone, resting heart rate is on the 50s (down from the 90s), heck even my DENTIST noticed a difference, my decades long issue with gum problems have all but cleared up.

I have insurance and decided not to fart around with their waiting game. I moments ago spoke to a gal here at my work, she saw my phenomenal success after 3 months post-op and decided to do it herself. She is at 6+ months of waiting on insurance approval and just learned today that our carrier just canceled her pre-approval out of the blue and NO ONE knows why.

It's a bleeding shame but insurance is such a racket and your health is NOT their highest priority, making money is.

Try Mexico. I went to Dr Ramos Kelly. Loved every minute of it! There are numerous reports from people on here that went to Mexico.

How did you get in contact with Dr. Kelly?

I went thru Sandy Johnston at "ALighterMe.com" Sandy did a great job answering all my questions and getting my paperwork thru. I loved Dr Kelly and his staff. The only thing you have to pay for is your airfare and tips. Everything else is covered in the $5500.00. You can pm me with any other questions. I loved my 5 days in Mexico.

Thanks to all who replied. To janese58: I'm going to pm you later. I have a lot of questions ;) . To tjharmon: I know you are excited! I can't wait till the day I can get up here and make the same post.