Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months out - apathetic about food

Hi All,

I have noticed over the last couple of weeks that I am really apathetic about eating. Nothing sounds good to me - ever. In trying to change it up a bit, I have eaten things like meat sauce, thin bagel toasted with cream cheese, different cheeses and they all give me major stomach discomfort. My acid comes to a boil on command after eating those things. The worst was the 3 bites of thin toasted bagel - holy crap that hurt for 20 minutes.

I know the rules. The problem is that nothing interests me. I take 2 bites and then I don't want any more. Then I get dizzy / tired later in the day because I am running on fumes. For example, I tried to eat the post surgery staple: deli meat and cream cheese. Yuck! I ate one bite and couldn't face it any more. I used to love those...

I should just put on my big girl pants, stick to the food that treats me right and get over it.

At this point, I'm not sure if I am looking for advice or just looking to vent. Anyone else have general food disinterest beyond the 4 month mark? I am wondering if I need to double my PPi for a while and see if that doesn't make my stomach happier? I still take one omeprazole every morning.

<sigh>

I feel that weigh alot of the time myself. I don't get sick from eating but nothing sounds good. I think it is my head catching up with my stomach. After surgery I am not able to eat the way I used to in order to soothe myself. Sometimes I wonder what's the point of eating when I can only eat a few bites of something or if i eat something not on plan (ie; chips, candy) the guilt doesn't make it worth it so why bother? I think it is about finding a way to identify and positively replace what I used to get out of eating with something good. If anyone has any good ideas, please share!

This problem always comes and goes, it mainly happen to me 10 days a month ( AWAY FROM TOM) then it fades away, I dont know what trigger it exactly, but I am always thankful when its gone. I am sorry I wish I can help u, but I just wrote down this post to let u know u are not alone.

I would double-down on your Prilosec, or maybe some tums.

Thanks for the answers, folks - its good to know I'm not the only one. Still love my sleeve, but it is interesting how the relationship with food changes over time.