Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suzannesh do you have a few minutes?

Hi,

You have been so helpful on these boards, is it okay if I ask you a couple of specific questions? I graduated to mushies this week and I seem to be having difficulty tolerating it. Creamy Soups seem ok. In addition I have tried a little chicken all mushed up with a little gravy. I've been measuring it and eating 2 ounces. I have also tried scrambled eggs twice with a little cheese. Thats what I had tonight and I feel like I've eaten an entire chicken. It feels like it is all the way up in my throat. I didn't measure the egg, assuming 1 egg couldn't have been more then 2 ounces, maybe I was wrong. I've been eating 2 ounces of Soup or chicken at lunch and then 2 ounces of Soup, egg or chicken for dinner. Usually for Breakfast I will eat 2 ounces of sf pudding, but i have to thin it out some. I worry I'm not eating enough, but I am never really hungry. I have read and re-read Dr. Aceves post op instructionsm maybe I should just go back to the Soups.< /p>

My second question is about those god awlful nexium mumps. I've been disolving them in soup and gagging them down. My friend is a pharmacist and said i need to disolve them under my tongue. Swallowing them makes them disolve in the stomach and not the lower intestine. There is just no way I can do the under the tongue. Do you think I should switch to something that can be swallowed whole or cut in half?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!! Cathi

I can't answer your first question but regarding those nexium mups, I too thought they were horrible. Dr. Aceves said that I could dissolve them in liquid and take them that way. I couldn't wait until they were gone until i could start a regular pill!!! I feel your pain!!!

I thought I'd jump in here. I know Suzanne will answer as soon as she sees this, she always does!

If you are having problems with the soft foods you can stay on full liquids a little longer. Once you start foods, it is very normal to for it to feel tight and to get full quickly. Make sure you are taking tiny bites at a time and chew, chew, chew the food before you swallow it. It seemed to me like every few days things would go down a little easier. It takes time. Your tummy is swollen and you just had major surgery. Don't push yourself too hard. You have to get to know your sleeve and figure out how to make it work for you. I promise it does get better, just be patient and take things slow. So many people eat too fast or too much when they can start eating regular foods and then get frustrated bc they feel sick and some then even stop eating all together. This does not help! Go slow! It will come.

Try to really focus on getting liquids in right now and your Protein drinks. Don't worry about the food part of it too much since you are just starting to eat again. Little bits at a time like I said before. I wouldn't worry about getting 2 ounces in at a time just do what you can.

Shortly after I came home I stopped taking the Nexium and started taking Omeprazole which is a generic form of Prilosec. The pills are little and I was able to swallow them. I still take one every morning before I get out of bed. I wait an hour before eating or drinking.

Hope this helps until Suzanne comes to the rescue!

Hi,

You have been so helpful on these boards, is it okay if I ask you a couple of specific questions? I graduated to mushies this week and I seem to be having difficulty tolerating it. Creamy Soups seem ok. In addition I have tried a little chicken all mushed up with a little gravy. I've been measuring it and eating 2 ounces. I have also tried scrambled eggs twice with a little cheese. Thats what I had tonight and I feel like I've eaten an entire chicken. It feels like it is all the way up in my throat. I didn't measure the egg, assuming 1 egg couldn't have been more then 2 ounces, maybe I was wrong. I've been eating 2 ounces of Soup or chicken at lunch and then 2 ounces of soup, egg or chicken for dinner. Usually for Breakfast I will eat 2 ounces of sf pudding, but i have to thin it out some. I worry I'm not eating enough, but I am never really hungry. I have read and re-read Dr. Aceves post op instructionsm maybe I should just go back to the soups.

My second question is about those god awlful nexium mumps. I've been disolving them in soup and gagging them down. My friend is a pharmacist and said i need to disolve them under my tongue. Swallowing them makes them disolve in the stomach and not the lower intestine. There is just no way I can do the under the tongue. Do you think I should switch to something that can be swallowed whole or cut in half?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice!! Cathi

Hi,

It is very normal to only be able to eat about 2 oz at one time. Remember that your new stomach will hold when healed about 6 to 8 oz. But for now because of the surgery, your new stomach is swollen and will only hold as much food as about the size of your thumb. Your old brain is thinking--WOW I used to get to have a whole lot more food. Now you will have to retain your barin and teach it that is is very OK to only have 1 to 2 oz of anything. Just eat what is comfortable. For Mushy things, I didn't do much meat, mostly veggies that I couls mush up and then only in small amount. Egss didn't work well for me at firist. Later on I did ok. Soft boild eggs worked the best. Stop when you feel you have had enough. You don't have to eat the entire egg. We are so used to our old way of thinking. This is what we call "Head Games." That brain makes us think the old way and you have to star thinking the NEW way. LOL

About the Nexium, it just never worked well for me. I got Prilosec and mashed it into a power and them but it in 2 tablespoons of applesauce and that is how I got it down. I hope that helps you. Sorry if you didn't get this right away, I was out of town.

Hugs,

Suzanne