Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First eating out - Nothing like expected

I had my first get together with old frnds yesterday, i hven't told anybody that i was getting sleeved was nervous a bit on account of my eating cause i love eating and yesterday's party was on me cause i got promoted and was in my fav chinese resturant.

I got sleevd on 21st June, tommorow will be completing my first month. it felt gud when almost everyone askd have you lost weight :-)

But the scarier part was when food came, i didn't want them to see my almost empty plate and start forcing me to eat ( After all theparty was on me) so i had my plate full all the time, and talked a lot, no body ralised i just ate 3 small dimsums in 2 hours. Though it lead to wastage of food which i dont like.

But somehow i felt happy after the lunch all my worry was for nothing, i guess nobody notices if your plate is full.

That's very reassuring to hear that people (even good friends) don't notice the condition of your plate. :) I take clients to lunch on a frequent basis and I have had some concern about dining out post-op, sounds like if I just push my food around a little it will not be a big deal at all.

Asian food is the best for hiding your portions!!!!! Chinese, sushi, Thai - all of them are great because they are either family style or they some in small portions (like dim sum or sushi hand roll). The best!!!!!!! I also find it is easier to hide when you have a large group. Unfortunately when I eat with just one other person, they will always ask why I don't eat much.

An embarrassing restaurant moment: I was in England for work and ate at one of Jaime Olivers restaurants. I picked a grilled lamb dish, pushed the food around a little, let my companions pick at it and I still had at least half of it left behind. THE MANAGER CAME OUT AND ASKED ME IF THE FOOD WAS BAD. I understand, becuase I am a foodie, that chefs look at the plates when they come back to see if the customer liked it. Not only did the manager ask me, but he wouldn't leave until I told him what was wrong with the dish. I had to get stern with him and tell him I can't eat that much. Embarrassing, but my companions were pretty cool about it. They were colleagues, and not really friends, so it would have been unprofessional for them to ask me about it.

Crazy, huh?

This past week I had 2 eating episodes where I had to eat in front of people for the first time!! I was so nervous because NOBODY knows!!

I had a friend over for dinner her and I are really close and I made salmon. I, of course can only eat like 2-3 oz of it and that was all that was on my plate. She knows I have been dieting and she was like...."No wonder you are thin as a rail, eating like that!!!" We just kinda laughed it off! I told her I had already eaten a little earlier, which I did have a piece of Jerky, so I wasn't lying!!

Another one was on Friday, we had a meeting and lunch was ordered for our office. We all ordered what we wanted and I got the grilled chicken sandwich in anticipation of just eating the chicken off the plate. I was nervous because I have not eatin in front of my co-workers since before my surgery!! Well, thank goodness they screwed my order up!! THey gave me fried chicken and everyone I work with knows I am eating HEALTHY now and was not a bit "concerned" that I did not eat my lunch!! WHEW!! I got out of that one! I ended up eating a boiled egg that was in the fridge for my Breakfast the next day!

I will just feel better about eating in front of people when I can eat more than 5 bites of something. And the fact that I eat soooo slow. That has to look weird to people that don't know what is going on!!

Kelly :)

Asian food is the best for hiding your portions!!!!! Chinese, sushi, Thai - all of them are great because they are either family style or they some in small portions (like dim sum or sushi hand roll). The best!!!!!!! I also find it is easier to hide when you have a large group. Unfortunately when I eat with just one other person, they will always ask why I don't eat much.

An embarrassing restaurant moment: I was in England for work and ate at one of Jaime Olivers restaurants. I picked a grilled lamb dish, pushed the food around a little, let my companions pick at it and I still had at least half of it left behind. THE MANAGER CAME OUT AND ASKED ME IF THE FOOD WAS BAD. I understand, becuase I am a foodie, that chefs look at the plates when they come back to see if the customer liked it. Not only did the manager ask me, but he wouldn't leave until I told him what was wrong with the dish. I had to get stern with him and tell him I can't eat that much. Embarrassing, but my companions were pretty cool about it. They were colleagues, and not really friends, so it would have been unprofessional for them to ask me about it.

Crazy, huh?

I am only 6 days post-op so I haven't even got my mushies yet, but when I read your story of the dining in England, I remembered that you can print a card (like a business card) from Obesityhelp.com which states that you have a medical reason for your small appetite and you can pass these out as needed. I bet that chef would have been more understanding if he had got the card, then he wouldn't have been so pushy. Just a thought anyways....

I had my first get together with old frnds yesterday, i hven't told anybody that i was getting sleeved was nervous a bit on account of my eating cause i love eating and yesterday's party was on me cause i got promoted and was in my fav chinese resturant.

I got sleevd on 21st June, tommorow will be completing my first month. it felt gud when almost everyone askd have you lost weight :-)

But the scarier part was when food came, i didn't want them to see my almost empty plate and start forcing me to eat ( After all theparty was on me) so i had my plate full all the time, and talked a lot, no body ralised i just ate 3 small dimsums in 2 hours. Though it lead to wastage of food which i dont like.

But somehow i felt happy after the lunch all my worry was for nothing, i guess nobody notices if your plate is full.

For me, right up till I left work for surgery i told NO one, then it occurred to me that it was consuming entirely too much of my energy to "keep up appearances" and I told those who closest to to me what I was having done. I am happy know with my decision to share. Now that I am down 112 pounds no one gives me crap for the way I did it, only encouragement! Our conversations have gone from how much have I lost to what exercise we are into right now it and it feels AWESOME! The fact that I ate 3 pieces of sushi for lunch today or that one chicken finger was more than enough yesterday is the norm now and no longer the the focus of attention. My weight loss has even inspired another co worker to see my surgeon and start the process. I offer her my counsel of having been there and done that.

For me, right up till I left work for surgery i told NO one, then it occurred to me that it was consuming entirely too much of my energy to "keep up appearances" and I told those who closest to to me what I was having done. I am happy know with my decision to share. Now that I am down 112 pounds no one gives me crap for the way I did it, only encouragement! Our conversations have gone from how much have I lost to what excersise we are into right now it and it feels AWESOME! The fact that I ate 3 pieces of sushi for lunch today or that one chicken finger was more than enough yesterday is the norm now and no longer the the focus of attention. My weight loss has even inspired another co worker to see my surgeon and start the process. I offer her my counsel of having been there and done that.