Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

On Sunday, I'm two months out from my surgery. It's been quite a ride so far! Post-surgery, I have lost 30 lbs. I lost 32 lbs. on my three-month pre-op diet for a total of 62 lbs. I have met some mini goals on the way: I'm now merely obese, not morbidly obese. And I'm in onderland!

My surgery was uneventful except for a small, undiagnosed hiatal hernia that my surgeon repaired. That added about an hour to surgery. Recovery has been pretty smooth too. I did discover in the first few days that I am now lactose-intolerant. I'm hoping that will go away in a few months. I've read here that many people become lactose-intolerant for a few months after surgery. I also had a couple of weeks of diarrhea, but that resolved by itself.

So far, I've tried to be very compliant: eating on plan, taking my Vitamins, getting my fluids in, and exercising 5 days per week. I'm following Kaiser Fremont's post-op plan. Currently, I'm downing around 600 calories, mostly low-fat Protein, in three meals and one evening Protein shake per day.

I have had a few uncomfortable incidents after eating. Sometimes, food just doesn't sit right. I've had the slimeys twice, spitting up copious amounts of foamy saliva. I got sick and threw up for the first time since surgery this week. I had eaten 1/4 c. fresh peach and 1/4 c. greek yogurt in the morning. I can eat fresh peach later in the day, but first thing in the morning, my sleeve is p-i-c-k-y! One good thing: I had been worried I physically could not throw up because I've felt really sick but hadn't puked since surgery, but I know that is not true now!

My energy level is still not 100%, but I feel stronger and better the more time goes by. I'm back to my pre-op exercise routine of five days per week, but I am moving less throughout the day. I've been doing less yardwork and housework and just generally moving less. I hope my energy is back to 100% by the end of this month.

In the last couple of weeks, I have eaten some foods I shouldn't, such as salty Snacks and sweets. And last night, I had popcorn, Cookies, and fruit instead of my evening Protein Drink. Not a lot of any of them, but I can see they are the devil. I'm going to try a diet trick I've used before: Cheating one day per week only. So for this week, I've already had my cheat day on Friday.

I'm looking forward to being three months out. I expect to be gaining energy this next month and meeting a couple mini-goals: A weight that starts with 18, and A BMI that's merely overweight, not obese.

Do I regret the surgery: No I don't. I can see it is just a tool, but it's the best tool I've ever had!

Lynda

Congrats on your weightloss! Keep up the good work ;) I was too thinking of doing this giving myself one day of week to cheat because I think I wouldn't feel so deprived of food. I don't know what do others think of cheating one day a week? Is it a good idea?

Hi there,

I'm almost 6 weeks out and I've also felt the need to cheat. I don't really think of it as cheating, however, since I really can't eat very much at a time. I bought a box of those mini ice cream cone things, and they are 120 calories and perfect as a cheat. My kids love them, and as long as I'm good on calories and carbs for the day, I have been allowing myself to have one at night. Some nights I have one and some nights I'm just too full from dinner, which is great! I love the sleeve and definitely appreciate the restriction it gives me.

Congrats on your weightloss! Keep up the good work ;) I was too thinking of doing this giving myself one day of week to cheat because I think I wouldn't feel so deprived of food. I don't know what do others think of cheating one day a week? Is it a good idea?