Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beauty Queen Weight Loss Skeptic

OMG!!!! I had no idea Jonah had lost weight, he looks good! But yes, I have to agree, the "dramatic weight loss" that fast, and his comments. Sounds like wls to me. I am happy for him if he got it, hope it was the sleeve lol. Yes, I am a little biased.....ha ;) Yeah I agree about the stigma going away if the celebrities would admit to wls, but maybe they are holding out to see if they can maintain it. It would definitely help wls like the sleeve become more mainstream and help SOOOOO many people who would benefit from it.

Let me throw Jonah Hill into the ring here. Just read this article about his amazing weight loss. He says when he eat unhealthy stuff he doesn't feel good. Sounds like WLS to me :-) Check it out for yourself...

http://uk.omg.yahoo....-163317829.html

I'm not judging because I keep my WLS a secret too. But I am torn because I think the stigma would go away if we all opened up about it. Double edged sword, eh?

I usually am suspect of all these "miraculous" weight loss stories of the stars, too. But case in point, I could have SWORN Kirstie Alley had WLS the first time she lost weight, then she gained it back, then she lost it, then gained it back and now she's lost it again partly due to dancing with the stars. So that reminds me of ME before VSG. Yo yo-ing. Although this time, she lost it REALLY fast, so I am thinking maybe she actually did have WLS this time. Who knows?biggrin.gif

There are a few that I would swear had surgery but some I'm not so sure! I really don't think that Weight Watchers would have let Jennifer be their spokesperson if she had surgery, that would "look bad" for them, like false advertising! Even if she wasn't being truthful about it I'm sure there would have been something in the contract and I would like to think that she wouldn't have signed it while lying!

I don't think the beauty queen had it either but Jonah might have!!

It's not lying if she had the surgery before she signed the contract. :P But I kinda agree with you, you cant really tell who's had WLS and who didnt.

There are a few that I would swear had surgery but some I'm not so sure! I really don't think that Weight Watchers would have let Jennifer be their spokesperson if she had surgery, that would "look bad" for them, like false advertising! Even if she wasn't being truthful about it I'm sure there would have been something in the contract and I would like to think that she wouldn't have signed it while lying!

I don't think the beauty queen had it either but Jonah might have!!

you know i've been thinking the same thing every since i started this journey...before i used to look at the people who lost weight and think 'man how did they do it?' but every since i started researching and actually learning about wls i look at them and i wonder when they had it and how much they have lost.

but who's to say they didn't have it and jus didn't tell anyone?

i've only told a handful of people and none of those people are in my family and i don't plan to tell anyone else.

i plan to just say i'm working with a dr.

Its not about the losing...I have lost 100 pounds TWICE...and yet here I am...Show me the people who have lost weight and kept it off..like Ricki Lake...

Guest Rosalind

I agree! I believe they had surgery to reduce weight......especially Monique! I am not telling anyone except my husband and oldest daughter but..........I am not selling something on the preface that I had sheer willpower. That.............is hyporcritical! if it is personal, let it be personal. Don't prey on overweight people who are desperate!

My mother had went on a hospital regimented diet, paid $4200, saw the dr weekly, lost weight fast and looks great. However, she was pimarly on a liquid diet for a year, couldn't leave for trips or vacation because if she missed a dr apt. she would be outted.Now that she can eat she is always thinking of her next meal. It can be done by some...not me. If I pay thousands I want a lasting solution, and to not be hungry.

I have a friend who was 425 lbs and went to the Duke diet and fitness center for 3 months and when he came home he subscribed to diets to go.com and had all of his food delivered. He had the money to do it but that is not an option for most of us. He was down to like 180 i think and has kept it off. Also at the time he did it, he wasn't married and had no kids which makes it a bit easier as well.

Nate Newton (former Dallas Cowboy football player) and rapper Paul Wall have both admitted to having VSG.

The only celebrity that I call major *BULLSH(T* on is Aretha Franklin. She might not have had "that" surgery (when she said she didn't have bypass), but she had some sort of surgery.

I agree that if everyone, including celebrities, would stop being ashamed of their choice to have WLS, the stigmas and stereotypes would lessen. I just don't get hiding it, I'm not saying tell to every Tom, d**k and Harry, but when asked, tell the truth. Lying by omission is still lying. I also don't get the fear of "judgement" because we choose surgery. We were all judged being obese, and/or morbidly obese. I just don't get it. People judge people. I'd much rather be judged for making the choice to better my health, my life, and my future than being fat considered lazy, gluttonous and overall just a sloth because I choose to remain fat.