Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of foods that you can eat when fully healed

Hi all!

Waiting for sleeve approval. I wanted to know what foods can you eat once you are advanced to soilds? From what I see, it seems so limited. Thanks :rolleyes:

I was allowed to eat anything that my body would tolerate with a focus on Protein based/dense foods first. Rice, Pasta, and breads were super difficult at first so I did avoid those. But, meat, cheese, eggs, mushy veggies were all great. I had a 3 month restriction on raw veggies and fruits, but after that, it was anything I wanted to eat.

At 7 months, I eat anything that I want. To keep losing weight, I try and choose Protein first, then veggies, and grains last. I drink at least 2 servings of milk a day, and avoid slider foods. That is one reason I chose the sleeve. I believe a balance of food choices in important to good health and I didn't want to be restricted on anything. I have been on and off diets since I was 8 years old. I refuse to be a dieter any more. I find I can easily pass up on rice (no desire), have to be careful and chew sandwich bread and flour tortillas well or they stick going down, and cake/cookies/chocolate are way to easy to eat. It seems like forever when you are healing, but it is only a few months. It also allows you to develop new habits. Use that time to focus on the new habits, and it will be easier when you are allowed to eat whatever you want again. As for the restriction, I still can only eat about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups food total. I am finally getting used to serving myself appropriate portions, throwing away leftovers, and feeling okay about leaving behind restaurant food. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Hi all!

Waiting for sleeve approval. I wanted to know what foods can you eat once you are advanced to soilds? From what I see, it seems so limited. Thanks :rolleyes:

I was allowed to eat anything that my body would tolerate with a focus on Protein based/dense foods first. Rice, Pasta, and breads were super difficult at first so I did avoid those. But, meat, cheese, eggs, mushy veggies were all great. I had a 3 month restriction on raw veggies and fruits, but after that, it was anything I wanted to eat.

Thanks Tiffy. I feel a lot better knowing that I can eat most things (not junk) just as long as I fulfill my Protein requirements first and then veggies. I thought the diet was MUCH more restrictive.

At 7 months, I eat anything that I want. To keep losing weight, I try and choose Protein first, then veggies, and grains last. I drink at least 2 servings of milk a day, and avoid slider foods. That is one reason I chose the sleeve. I believe a balance of food choices in important to good health and I didn't want to be restricted on anything. I have been on and off diets since I was 8 years old. I refuse to be a dieter any more. I find I can easily pass up on rice (no desire), have to be careful and chew sandwich bread and flour tortillas well or they stick going down, and cake/cookies/chocolate are way to easy to eat. It seems like forever when you are healing, but it is only a few months. It also allows you to develop new habits. Use that time to focus on the new habits, and it will be easier when you are allowed to eat whatever you want again. As for the restriction, I still can only eat about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups food total. I am finally getting used to serving myself appropriate portions, throwing away leftovers, and feeling okay about leaving behind restaurant food. Best of luck to you in your journey.

Thanks Eureka for the advice. This is a lot better than what I thought

This is really helpful! Thanx for posting. Reading this makes me feel more confident on getting the sleeve.

--SK.

Yep, what Eureka-C said! ANYTHING is fair game but try and eat Protein first then the other stuff if you still want something.

I've heard a few genuine sounding precautionary tails about avoiding raw celery stalks and coconut due to the vast amount of fibrous tissue they contain, these "may" ball up in the stomach and since they're pretty indestructible may cause what's called a bezoar - in a cat it's called a hair BALL.

Yep, what Eureka-C said! ANYTHING is fair game but try and eat Protein first then the other stuff if you still want something.

I've heard a few genuine sounding precautionary tails about avoiding raw celery stalks and coconut due to the vast amount of fibrous tissue they contain, these "may" ball up in the stomach and since they're pretty indestructible may cause what's called a bezoar - in a cat it's called a hair BALL.

...But I LUV coconut....:(:unsure:

I just left my nutrition class and they mentioned that you can't have salads anymore. Have any of you tried to eat salads later on down the road? Did you tolerate it well?

What are "sliders"??

Slider foods are foods that don't fill your sleeve . . . you can eat a lot more of them because they tend to "slide" right through. From what I've read here some carbs (like white breads) can be slider foods for some people. Ice cream and candy are likely sliders because they melt. Not sure what else as I'm newly post-op.

I eat salad all the time. it's one of the easiest things for me to eat. I usually chop up chicken breast and mix it in. yum yum!

I eat anything I want. I really mean anything! There is no food that I have trouble with.

how much do you eat? do you keep track of carb intake? do you eat often like every 2 -3 hours??

Thank you,:D

I eat salad all the time. it's one of the easiest things for me to eat. I usually chop up chicken breast and mix it in. yum yum!

I eat anything I want. I really mean anything! There is no food that I have trouble with.

I can eat anything I want. I have had NO food intolerances at all.

I eat salad at least 2 times a week. I had to wait until I was 3 months out to eat it, but I can have it. I have heard not to eat coconut and celery.

I am eating steak right now!

Kelly :)

If you have an iPhone there's an app called Myfitnesspal. It's for diet purposes but it also tracks Protein and sugar amount. There is a bar code scanner that is pretty cool!

I was told not to eat salad either. No bread, rice, Pasta, or beef for at least a year. But Idk. I missed it at first until I noticed my clothes "were stretching out". I was also informed to not eat more than 10g of sugar at a time. It can make you dump, sick, or just feel horrible.

As a snack, the low calorie cheese sticks work amazing and they are high in protien for their size. I'm 5 months out and the snack sized lunchables work well. There are 8 sets of crackers, meat, and cheese. I fit three of each. The trick for me is to stop when I find I've eaten enough to fill my stomach, NOT when I feel full. A portion of a scrambled egg works well or a half a pack of grits.

As for fruit, it's as tolerated with pretty much most things. With the exception of things like strawberries with the little seeds and oranges/grapes because of the membrane/skin. Those didn't work for me AT ALL.

Beans of any kind are usually high in protien, as well as mushrooms.

A little note for post-op people. If you begin to start having pain around the appendix area or a little higher (upper right quadrant of abd) and perhaps some right shoulder pain, have a doctor check your gallbladder. Sleeve surgery was March 29, gallbladder surgery was July 15.