Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of foods that you can eat when fully healed

OH, and anything carbonated is off limits. Arizona makes an amazing diet peach tea. The new MiO Water enhancers taste pretty good too and they don't break in your purse like the "to go" packs. Sip, sip, sip on water!!!!! But no drinking within 30 min of eating. Before or after. It sounds restrictive BUT your HEALTH is worth it. I would rather have a voluntary healthier lifestyle chage now compared to a mandatory quality of life change later from obesity.

Anything I want. :)

I haven't found anything yet that my sleeve won't tolerate, just less of it. Like everyone else....focus on Protein and Water but I do not deprive myself of much and I'm still averaging 2-3 lbs a week. Man oh man, I LOVE MY SLEEVE! :)

Just a few listed above....salads, nuts, steak, fruit, etc. All have been fine for me. I do OCCASIONALLY drink carbonated beverage, but not with a meal and I drink very slowly and small quantity. I have even had some coconut, but I don't over do it.

I've been told to be extremely carful with them. Check the sugars especially the coated ones. I've eaten about a handful of pistachios at a time and as long as I chew well, I'm ok. But at first I threw up ALLOT!!!!! It was from gall stones and after it was taken out, I haven't thrown up hardly at all. Gallbladder issues are usually common after gastric sugery because te bile that it creates is not needed to digest as much and it just sits there and inflames the organ. Not every sugary is going to advance in the same way, of coarse. But if you attempt any new food, try it with caution and, just like a baby trying new foods, take it slow. It's DEFINITELY a relearning experience about how to eat. 90 pounds down for me.

And if you hate to take Vitamins, as I do, I FORCE myself to take the B12. B12 is imperative to protect our brain function and to help avoid brain shrinkage. It also increases the metabolism and is responsible, by the most part, for reproduction of red blood cells. If our red blood cells are not replenished, we can develop anemia.

Tilapia is ALWAYS a good choice as long as it's not fried. Greasy fried foods may not sit well. But everyone is different.

Personally, in my opinion, it was the fatty, fried, foods or sweets, along with my addiction to food that drove me to needing an "intervention". my crutch was not alcohol, drugs, smoking, or anything else that you can go cold turkey. How can you go cold turkey with food? It's impossible if you are to sustain life.

I'm 4 months out now. I still have a few intolerances (scrambled eggs, untoasted bread/tortillas, fried food) but they're not difficult to work around. LOVE fruit and eat a small portion twice a day--prefer juicier fruits like melon or citrus over apples. LOVE nuts and eat a portion daily. LOVE salad and eat a little bit every so often--but I eat small portions of veggies like tomatoes every day. Any type of chicken except that really moist deli roasted chicken is very challenging for me--the moist deli roasted meat is great. Similarly, rare, juicy beef is great--other beef, not so much. cheese, yogurt, milk--all dairy is good.

Really, I just try to eat Protein first and avoid things I know for sure aren't good for me (sugar, flour products, fried food)--that's it! It's pretty simple. The biggest deal for me is to be sure to measure by volume--it's not the TYPE of food but the AMOUNT that can cause some pain, if you get my drift. Nothing feels as awful as knowing you took one bite too many of whatever.

Lanette, I miss my carbonated drinks too. If I get a craving for too long, I'll take a sip and the. Try to let the bubble expel before swallowing. It came back up a couple of times.

Like I said, everyone is different.

Our company has had several people with the surgery but they have gone back to their old eating habits and are now larger than before. I refuse to allow that to happen to me.

Lanette, I miss my carbonated drinks too. If I get a craving for too long, I'll take a sip and the. Try to let the bubble expel before swallowing. It came back up a couple of times.

Our company has had several people with the surgery but they have gone back to their old eating habits and are now larger than before. I refuse to allow that to happen to me.

the people at your company had the sleeve surgery that put on the weight? Thats scary to hear and a reality check!

SOOOOOO True!!!!

I'm 4 months out now. I still have a few intolerances (scrambled eggs, untoasted bread/tortillas, fried food) but they're not difficult to work around. LOVE fruit and eat a small portion twice a day--prefer juicier fruits like melon or citrus over apples. LOVE nuts and eat a portion daily. LOVE salad and eat a little bit every so often--but I eat small portions of veggies like tomatoes every day. Any type of chicken except that really moist deli roasted chicken is very challenging for me--the moist deli roasted meat is great. Similarly, rare, juicy beef is great--other beef, not so much. cheese, yogurt, milk--all dairy is good.

Really, I just try to eat Protein first and avoid things I know for sure aren't good for me (sugar, flour products, fried food)--that's it! It's pretty simple. The biggest deal for me is to be sure to measure by volume--it's not the TYPE of food but the AMOUNT that can cause some pain, if you get my drift. Nothing feels as awful as knowing you took one bite too many of whatever.

I work in EMS. It's an extremely easy occupation to gain weight. 12-24 hour shifts where your usual places to eat would be fast food or convenience stores. Our company has decided, with very much intuition, that we cannot help our patients if we, ourselves, are unhealthy. Being over 300 pounds was difficult for me to try to jump into a car that has been rolled over to help a child. Much less carry the usual 90 pounds of life sustaining gear that we carry on a daily basis. Who would you trust more with one of your family members if they were unresponsive to get them onto a stretcher and to definitive care? A 300+ person that is sweating and out of breath by just getting to that person, or the healthier person with more energy and that does not look like a health risk themselves? It was very much a reality check to have the physical limitations that I had progressively done to myself.

the people at your company had the sleeve surgery that put on the weight? Thats scary to hear and a reality check!

how much do you eat? do you keep track of carb intake? do you eat often like every 2 -3 hours??

Thank you,:D

I don't count anything anymore. I still eat Protein first. I eat 3 meal a day and an evening snack. I could eat every 2-3 hours but I am not hungry.

Dasme, I honestly haven't missed carbonation that much, but have had a few sips of ginger ale after letting it sit out for a while so it's not quite as fizzy. The original poster was asking what we "can" eat when fully healed. My surgeon had a strict plan during the healing process, but our meal plan after that was pretty much anything you can tolerate, with a focus on Protein. I'm sure that the original poster's surgeon is going to give their plan, and it sounded like they already knew the normal restrictions but I thought they were looking for what we "can" eat, so I wanted them to know that not everyone gets sick from an occasional sip of soda.

While I can eat "whatever I want" that doesn't mean that I do. I was simply answering the question and letting them know that I haven't had trouble digesting anything. I am still losing an average of 2-3 lb per week, so even though I'm not super strict or counting carbs, I am still getting the results I had hoped for. I focus on Protein first and eat a fraction of what I did in my old life. I don't think it would be physically possible to go back to my old eating habits.

Oh we CAN take B12 and Vitamins. It keeps most of us from being judgemental.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here? I also take Vitamins and B12 daily and never said anything about that.

I only replied because I thought you were being judgemental of me mentioning soft drinks and you ended your reply to me with talking about how people go back to their old ways and regain. I was in no way being judgemental of you, but I did feel that my original reply must have needed clarification if it made people think I'm falling off the wagon and going back to my old habits. ;)

Sorry if my reply was offensive. It was not intended to be judgemental or offensive at all.

I just left my nutrition class and they mentioned that you can't have salads anymore. Have any of you tried to eat salads later on down the road? Did you tolerate it well?

Hi RitaBee,

I am 7 weeks out and I have not tried to eat a salad yet. However, I went back to my trusty binder and I could have started eating 1/4 cup at 5 weeks out. I am planning on trying one out this week. I would double check with your surgeon's office if the NUT is not associated with them. My NUT was not associated with the surgeon's office and alot of what she told me varied from his in NUT.

Hi RitaBee,

I am 7 weeks out and I have not tried to eat a salad yet. However, I went back to my trusty binder and I could have started eating 1/4 cup at 5 weeks out. I am planning on trying one out this week. I would double check with your surgeon's office if the NUT is not associated with them. My NUT was not associated with the surgeon's office and alot of what she told me varied from his in NUT.

My NUT said to avoid salad, but cole slaw was ok because of the texture. I guess if you chew really well, it shouldnt be a problem!