Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time should I plan to take off of work?

I am planning to be sleeved in September, and trying to think of all the questions I have no, so hopefully I can obtain some good advice. I am wondering how much time should I plan to take off from work? I am a banker so my job is laid back, and I basically sit at my desk all day. My surgeon recomended taking off 4 weeks, which is just imposiible for me. I was hoping to be back to work within 10 days....Any input would be appreciated!

:D

I think 4 weeks is SOOOO extreme. Unless you have some major complication!

I was sleeved on a Monday and went back the following Monday. I was sore and tired, but was fine!!

I didn't take any pain meds after I left the hospital and the only real pain I had was gas!

You will be fine, but listen to your body. Everyone is different!!

Kelly

I am planning to be sleeved in September, and trying to think of all the questions I have no, so hopefully I can obtain some good advice. I am wondering how much time should I plan to take off from work? I am a banker so my job is laid back, and I basically sit at my desk all day. My surgeon recomended taking off 4 weeks, which is just imposiible for me. I was hoping to be back to work within 10 days....Any input would be appreciated!

Yea I thought 4 weeks was a little extreme, especially because I work in a very relaxed environment. THanks!

2 weeks is what i took off. . . doctor told me 1 week would have been fine, but i wanted more of a break, so i asked for 2 weeks. I'm glad i did that

I would say take 2 weeks. That way you have one week of your surgery and recovery from the anesthesia and then another week to get used to your new way of eating and living. That way, when you go back, you will have a clear head and lots of energy!

I'm planning on taking 5 days off, I'm having surgery on a wednesday, and plan on going back monday or tuesday depending on how i feel. I had my gallbladder taken out last year, if the procedure is pretty similar it should be fine. I also work at a bank- but i work in default servicing doing loan modifications and short sales, so i also sit at a desk all day :) Hope this helps. :)

The doctor gave me 5 weeks off because I work in a factory and have to lift very heavy things for work. If I had worked in an office, I would have only taken 2 weeks off.

Smacbeth, if at all possible, can you take off at least 8-9 days? Days 4-7 were the worst for me. I think my body came out of the anesthesia, purged all its extra fluids by then and my digestive system was having a hard time functioning on it's own. Stomach cramps and difficult time swallowing even Water. See if you don't find the same experience for others. By day 11 I was a new woman!

I also work in a fairly relaxed environment and my doctor said 2 weeks before they would sign the release for me to go back. I am glad I get to take two weeks so I have time to adjust to my new eating etc and have things prepared before I tackle the office again.

I gotta say, I am really excited to be able to go up all 14 fights (7 stories) of stairs!!! I can make it to about the 3rd or 4th floor now and I'm totally out of breath. I'm trying to build up my muscles now so I recover from surgery faster. My date is getting SUPER close now!

Sounds like I have the same job as you do and my surgeon also recommended taking 4 weeks off, which I'm going to do. (Under Family Medical Leave Act I believe, by law, you're allowed to take up to 13 weeks off.) I'm having my surgery in July. I'll try and remember to let you know whether or not the 4 weeks turns out to be too long.

I work at home for myself. I originally planned on one week and then one week of just an hour or two. I was in my office by day three, but only because it was the only chair in the house that I could sit in comfortably without hurting myself. I had BAD muscle pain. Today, on day 13, it's finally subsiding to where I think I could have gone back to work. I was really foggy the first week. Lack of calories really took a toll on my energy levels and I needed naps daily (still do actually). I didn't really do any real work until around 9 days out or so... I just kind of puttered around.

If you can swing two weeks, take them. If you feel great like some people do after a few days, good.. use that time to come up with a long term plan. But if not, you've got that extra week to heal. Be kind to yourself.

I am taking 5 weeks off work. My surgeon said 2 to 3 weeks, so I opted for 3 weeks to be considered "sick time" and 2 weeks will be for vacation. I did this because I work in a busy clinic with nosy doctors and nurses, and when I am on my restrictive diet, I do not want a lot of questions and food monitoring going on. None of my co workers know I have having WLS and I want to keep it that way. So by the time I come back to work I will be on either mushies or regular food, just smaller amounts. No one will question me because I have been eating this way since November 30.

Now if at my 2 week post op appt, my doctor says I can go back to work (no longer on sick time) I will maybe cut one week off and come back in 4 weeks. But I am leaving that option open until that appointment.

That is my plan.

Sheila

My Dr said 4-6 weeks and when I asked this question alot of people said 3 weeks was when they started feeling really well. I work from home and have a very flexible schedule but still planning 3 weeks at least - FMLA since I don't have that much paid time.