Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unsure looking for alittle advice

Ok. My story is this I'll be 30 yrs old this Saturday and 10 yrs ago I had the lap band. That's right I had the band 10 yrs ago not that long after it came out, and you could say I was a weight loss surgery loser, The band never worked on me and actually started me down the road of complications. Since I have had the band my weight has yo-yoed and I've also ended up with a huge case of acid reflux. To this day I still vomit reflux about once a day. It has taken years but I have finally found a surgeon willing to actually remove my band. This surgeon resides in Austin TX and comes highly reccommended. The new issue I have is this even though in the last 2 & half yrs I have managed to lose 78lbs and keep it off my weight has stagmented and the surgeon who is removing my band has asked me to consider the sleeve or the gastric bypass in lue of the band. I know people from both camps so I have an idea of what it means, but still I falter. I will be paying for it myself it I go the sleeve route and not the gastric bypass as my insurance won't cover it. My question is this everyone i know that has personally gotten the sleeve and the bypass has had them recently, so if there are people that had them a few yrs or so out i'd like to hear your experience. Also any complications or anything relevenate that was learned the hard way.

P.S I have no complications such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc. I am however about 107 pounds above the smallest weight i can be and still be considered healthy.

I recently got the sleeve and my friend who was more overweight got the gastric bypass. My surgery and recovery were much more simple but we are both losing and feeling good. Good luck! I love not worrying about malabsorbtion.

Ok. My story is this I'll be 30 yrs old this Saturday and 10 yrs ago I had the lap band. That's right I had the band 10 yrs ago not that long after it came out, and you could say I was a weight loss surgery loser, The band never worked on me and actually started me down the road of complications. Since I have had the band my weight has yo-yoed and I've also ended up with a huge case of acid reflux. To this day I still vomit reflux about once a day. It has taken years but I have finally found a surgeon willing to actually remove my band. This surgeon resides in Austin TX and comes highly reccommended. The new issue I have is this even though in the last 2 & half yrs I have managed to lose 78lbs and keep it off my weight has stagmented and the surgeon who is removing my band has asked me to consider the sleeve or the gastric bypass in lue of the band. I know people from both camps so I have an idea of what it means, but still I falter. I will be paying for it myself it I go the sleeve route and not the gastric bypass as my insurance won't cover it. My question is this everyone i know that has personally gotten the sleeve and the bypass has had them recently, so if there are people that had them a few yrs or so out i'd like to hear your experience. Also any complications or anything relevenate that was learned the hard way.

P.S I have no complications such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc. I am however about 107 pounds above the smallest weight i can be and still be considered healthy.

why would u want someone rearranging ur intestines, way to complicated and dangerous , then the malabsorbtion that comes with gastric.......I go sleeve all the way.....less complications......i hear on gastric there are certain food u can never eat again.....u will always be on meds forever........not so on the sleeve.....

There's a few people on the forums who are more than a year out - and are doing great. Look through the different forums and posts. You will find all kinds of information and advice from those who have had the surgery a "long time ago". That's one of the great things about this particular site - there are a lot of participants at each stage of the process who are more than willing to share information.

I've been keeping up on the forums so I know there are people farther out. I have a cousin that is 1 yr out and is doing fab1 I've pretty much decided to do the sleeve. Now my big deal is do i do it here in TX or in Mexico. I'm in good health no complications except reflux from the band so I am really considering Mexico. I'm alittle worried about whether it will effect my medical insurance if I go that route or not. Although I've been in the boat of not having medical insurance and that wasnt bad either. I guess having the ability to pay helps. I just don't want to pay the $12,500.00 difference between getting the band to sleeve revision in texas then mexico. Also I am a self payer.