Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Two weeks out today and I got to start on soft foods!!! I had 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese for Breakfast, and 1/4 cup of split pea Soup for lunch. Both tasted amazing and I didn't get sick!

I do have a question for those who are further out than me. I'm really confused as to how I'm supposed to get in all of my liquids, Protein, and food. I have barely had anything to drink all day! I did get in a Protein shake, but only about an ounce of Water. Since I have to wait 30 minutes in between eating and drinking it's throwing a total wrench into my drinking plan! It wouldn't be so bad but I have to figure it out quick since I go back to work Monday! I don't want to get dehydrated or sick.

First of all, since we have the opening and closing of our stomachs intact you can drink right up until you eat- it is after you need to wait. AFter that I set my phone alarm for every 15 minutes to remind me to drink. It is work- for sure, but so far three weeks out, I have gotten all my Protein and all my liquid every day since day five. I still drink a 45 gram Protein Drink in the morning first thing to give me a good foundation. It is work, but it is all doable!

Thanks Meggie,

How long does it take you to get in your shake? I'm finding that it takes me two hours to get my 11oz shake down. I tried to finish it in an hour yesterday and felt horrible afterwards.

for me, I have to constantly remind myself to drink as soon as i get up when i wake, and I keep a Water bottle with me all the time.

i no longer wait 30 mins prior to eating. it's maybe 10-15 mins. but i do wait about 45 mins after i eat to drink so i stay full longer. now it's almost an hour. i never sip during meals. i can get in my Water. not that i'm almost 6 weeks out, i am physically able to take bigger sips. not gulps, but bigger sips w/o feeling a lump in the chest feeling. definitely use your phone alarm to set the times. get your liquids in via a popsicle. you can make crystal light popsicles. that way you feel as if you're eating something, but also getting in your liquid.

i always keep a water bottle next to my bed as well, because if i happen to wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason (mainly to pee), i can take a few sips; and it's there for me as soon as i wake up to start my day

good luck to you! it will get better. at this stage it's highly important to get your fluids in; just remember that

Thanks Meggie,

How long does it take you to get in your shake? I'm finding that it takes me two hours to get my 11oz shake down. I tried to finish it in an hour yesterday and felt horrible afterwards.

Oh I hear you! Every day I tell myself I will try to get it down in an hour but I just can't...they really are like medicine to me, and mine is mixed with Decaf, milk, vanilla, and shaved ice. Min ends up about 12 ounces. How many grams of Protein is yours? I use three scoops for 45 grams to give me a good foundation.

The rest of the time - if I don't use the alarm on my phone (at work you can use the buzzing mode!) then I fall totally behind. Girl- it's work!!! Today I was at the pool and asked a woman in my class who had RNY three years ago if it gets easier and she said she can totally gulp Water now- I hope that is true for us.

The other thing I do is in the morning I gather several different liquids- a 16 0z bottle of Propel, a 12 ounce keep it hot cup of decaf tea, and a 32 ounce bottle of Water. My husband has rigged an ice bucket that I keep the water and propel in. I change it up with them whenever the larm goes off because I still find wat more difficult than some other things.

And here I sit at 10:30 at night and I still have about 20 ounces to go! Luckily I stay up late! Good luck!

I started soft foods Tuesday afternoon. I try to get in 1 cup of Water or other liquids every hour unless it's mealtime. I miss a few because I'm doing something outside the house (even though I take it with me) or when I have an afternoon nap. It is a real struggle to get in 8 cups of Fluid. At this point, I am forcing Water and food to meet my hydration and fluid goals. I guess I am lucker than most because I don't get nauseated. I do have to take really small sips though. Basically, as soon as I finish drinking one thing, I get something else going.

Here's a typical day for me:

Wake at 6 a.m.

6 a.m. : 1 cup ice water

6:45: Head out for walk with friends, take rest of first cup of water with me.

8:00 Have i cup Decaf coffee with friend after walk.

9:00: 3 oz. tuna with 1 T mayo and two saltines (45 minutes to eat)

10:15 1 cup ice water

11:00 Shopping with hubby, take rest of 10 a.m. water with me.

1:30 Back from shopping: 3 oz. turkey meatloaf, 1 strawberry (25 minutes to eat)

2:30 1 cup water with crystal lite lemonaide

3:00 2 hour nap

5:00 Wake up and finish drink from 2:30.

5:45 1 cup water with crystal lite

6:30 3 oz shrimp, 1/8 c. baked potato (30 minutes to eat)

7:30 1 cup water

8:45 1/2 cup pureed strawberries with splenda, 1 scoop unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, 1/2 c. ice, 1/3 c. soy milk

10:20 1 cup ice water

I will go to bed soon with about another 1/2 cup water.

Lynda

How many grams of Protein is yours?

Mine is a pre-made shake with 20 grams of Protein. It's the only one I can stomach at the moment. I do have unflavored Protein powder now, maybe I should throw an extra scoop in the shake and see how that tastes. It would drastically beef up the protein count. I'm also going to force myself to get up earlier tomorrow, that will make it easier to get in everything I need.

Thank you so much for the words of wisdom, I really don't think I could do this without the support!

Lynda,

Thank you so much for sharing what you have been doing, that is so helpful! Tomorrow I'm going to plan out my eating/drinking so that it's easier to get everything in.

Erin

Erin,

I'm rooting for you today! I', glad you found my info useful. I have gotten so much from this forum. It feels good to be able to give back a little.

Lynda

I don't really have a problem with liquids and never have. They have always gone down just fine. I am almost a month out (on Monday!!) and can take 2-3 big mouthfulls and be fine. I usually have a gurgle in my throat afterwards when driniking anything, like air or something, but it is all good! Dosen't hurt or come back up.

Kelly :)

Erin, which ready to drink Protein drink are you using at 20g Protein? I like the Atkins but they are just 15. I like the vanilla.

Lynda, how many shrimp=3 oz? I am not to that food stage yet but trying to get prepared.

Thanks for sharing the info, very helpful!!

:)

I don't really have a problem with liquids and never have. They have always gone down just fine. I am almost a month out (on Monday!!) and can take 2-3 big mouthfulls and be fine. I usually have a gurgle in my throat afterwards when driniking anything, like air or something, but it is all good! Dosen't hurt or come back up.

Kelly :)

Lol, I am the same way. Thankfully no problem with drinking now but I feel like I have to burp. I was never a "burper" before sugery.

Hi Kelly,

I use my food scale for everything. I think it was about 5 shrimp- the big ones from the costco Seafood Roadshow. I buy the 5 lb. bag frozen because you can just take out a handful at a time - perfect for our small tummies!

Lynda