Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Sleeved on the 10th June and very nervous

Hiya , im being sleeved on the 10th June and extremly nervous, im having my operation at Leicester Royal Infirmary, has anyone had theres done there ? Also am i expecting to be in ALOT OF PAIN WHEN I WAKE UP ?

Regards Laila

Hi Laila,

I just saw your post as I was browsing through the site and noticed nobody had answered you...

What rotters!

I'm due for surgery on Tuesday, and I'd love to be communicating with others in the UK - not that I've anything against anyone from elsewhere, it's more of a 'birds of a feather' type thing.

Enough ramblings - how did you get on with the operation? was the pain intolerable (I must admit, to being a wuss, so I'm dreading that side of it). How much weight have you lost?

It seems a little odd writing to people you've never met, but I hope with our ops only being a few weeks apart - that we can support one another.

Cathie

Hiya , im being sleeved on the 10th June and extremly nervous, im having my operation at Leicester Royal Infirmary, has anyone had theres done there ? Also am i expecting to be in ALOT OF PAIN WHEN I WAKE UP ?

Regards Laila

Hello, oh yeah i just noticed no one did reply to my post.. haha oh well, i did leave a personel message to you yesterday before reading this message from you... well good luck tomorrow.. where are you having your op done ? i had my done at Leicester royal infirmary and they were fab, the operation was fine the pain when waking up was not really bad at all, my main pain was my lower back , as i have hip problem they tried to adjust me before my op so all my weight was on my right to avoid it on my left.. so in that case you should be fine. My incisions are nearly gone.. its amazing i have lost a stone and half before op and the same in 3 weeks after op so total 3 stone in 6 weeks... its nearly a 1lb a day..which is amazing. Its normal for you to be nervous, but believe me its over in no time.. please keep me posted

Laila x

Hello, oh yeah i just noticed no one did reply to my post.. haha oh well, i did leave a personel message to you yesterday before reading this message from you... well good luck tomorrow.. where are you having your op done ? i had my done at Leicester royal infirmary and they were fab, the operation was fine the pain when waking up was not really bad at all, my main pain was my lower back , as i have hip problem they tried to adjust me before my op so all my weight was on my right to avoid it on my left.. so in that case you should be fine. My incisions are nearly gone.. its amazing i have lost a stone and half before op and the same in 3 weeks after op so total 3 stone in 6 weeks... its nearly a 1lb a day..which is amazing. Its normal for you to be nervous, but believe me its over in no time.. please keep me posted

Laila x

Hi ya...can i ask what surgeon you had Laila? I have just been refered again, as i was refered in 2010 and got so far and wimped out as i was orriginaly going to have the bypass but having researed a "lot" lol im thinking the sleeve is best for me :-) can i also ask if you have had a complications?

Thanks

Lucy

Hi Laila,

Can you believe, I've only just had the email telling me you'd replied to this post? or at least that's what I think - I'm struggling with this site still.

I had the op at the Spire Regency in Macclesfield... I can't believe how well it went! Mind you, I'm so hungry, I keep feeling the thighs of my little dogs biggrin.gif

seriously though, after re-reading my 'gastric advice' sheet from the hospital - I noticed that it said it was imperative not to eat during the first week - so I figured that meant I could have the inner out of an egg custard! boy, did I enjoy it.

I managed to lose 11kg before the operation - and no idea what I've lost since, but I go back to see the surgeon on 19th August. I actually want to not weigh myself before then, to find out the 'huge' amount rather than a pound here and there. Showing off my culinary skills, I've just made three small egg custards for over the weekend and I intend to have some scrambled egg! I never thought I'd fancy scrambled egg - but I'm almost fantasising about it now.

Can I ask what the biggest and most noticable changes you've had are?

Catch you soon

Cathie

Laila x

Hi Laila,

Can you believe, I've only just had the email telling me you'd replied to this post? or at least that's what I think - I'm struggling with this site still.

I had the op at the Spire Regency in Macclesfield... I can't believe how well it went! Mind you, I'm so hungry, I keep feeling the thighs of my little dogs biggrin.gif

seriously though, after re-reading my 'gastric advice' sheet from the hospital - I noticed that it said it was imperative not to eat during the first week - so I figured that meant I could have the inner out of an egg custard! boy, did I enjoy it.

I managed to lose 11kg before the operation - and no idea what I've lost since, but I go back to see the surgeon on 19th August. I actually want to not weigh myself before then, to find out the 'huge' amount rather than a pound here and there. Showing off my culinary skills, I've just made three small egg custards for over the weekend and I intend to have some scrambled egg! I never thought I'd fancy scrambled egg - but I'm almost fantasising about it now.

Can I ask what the biggest and most noticable changes you've had are?

Catch you soon

Cathie

Hello,

Can I join in?

I had my sleeve done in King's Hospital in Denmark Hill ( London ) on 16.07.11 by Mr.Patel. I'm back home for 4 days now. Still a bit fragile, my right side is quite sore, my back is making me very miserable and sleeping at night in my bed is a bit of an issue! I keep alternating between my bed and my armchair all night long. It's all to do with the ability to turn, which in my case is still very limited.

I'm NOT complaining, just saying how it is. My husband is providing a fabulous support, which helps a lot.

My first 2 days after surgery were a bit tender and pain control provided by hospital was very good. During that time I was encouraged to take sips of Water as often as I could. Bit of a struggle there on the second day. Problem with nausea, helped by meds. On the 3rd day I was given a cup of chicken Soup and a cup of tea.

Miam, miam....

I'll never forget taste of this first cup of Soup. Best in the world, EVER.

I came home to a collection of: Soup in the Cup, Soups in tins, whey powder Protein and yogurts. After my first day on that menu I decided to do some experimenting.

- 2-3 carrots ( roasted, to keep nutrients in), few green beans(boiled), some chicken stock, black pepper and some dry dill. Blasted in the food processor and heat it for 2-3 min in the microwave.

- Cup in the Soup-mushroom flavor (mixed with water), few mushrooms (slightly fried), 2-3 wild dry mushrooms (soaked in a mug of hot Water for 2-4 hours). Salt and black pepper to taste, 1 tea spoon of Greek, plain yogurt to finish. Blast it in the mixer, microwave for 2-3 min. Miam, miam...

You get the idea I hope.

If the mixture is too thick, add some milk or water.

I believe that your stomach very quickly will let you know if your diet is good or bad for you.

I'm eating very small quantities and quite often. Lots of cups of camomile tea (suppose to help with a digestion). One thing I truly hate to take is FYBOGEL, but without it nothing happens in the loo! So I drink it, slowly. Orange flavor helps

I'm diabetic type1 on the insulin pump. Protein only diet is not really an option for me. Need some carbs to survive.

That's me so far.

Thanks for letting us no how your getting on, its seems your recovery is going well and im glad your feeling ok.

I dont think there is many people on these boards from the uk which is a shame cus i love to follow peoples progress as im still playing the waiting game.

I do read and follow people from the US :-) i very impresed

keep us posted x

Hi ya...can i ask what surgeon you had Laila? I have just been refered again, as i was refered in 2010 and got so far and wimped out as i was orriginaly going to have the bypass but having researed a "lot" lol im thinking the sleeve is best for me :-) can i also ask if you have had a complications?

Thanks

Lucy

Hello Lucy

Sorry for the dely in replying, my surgeon was Mr Sutton from Leicester royal imfirmary, he was fantastic i had very minor complications which was my back was very sore that was due to the position the put me in surgery but apart from that i had no problems at all.. the pain was not too bad ive had alot worse. I do not regret having this done at all... its the best thing i have done, im on my 7th week now. I must admit i was pretty scared in having it done , but i know thats normal... i didnt want the bypass as i was aware that Vitamin dificency is an issue with it.. but with the sleeve you can absorb all ur vits.. i do take Calcium Iron and multi-vits.

Good Luck

Hello,

Can I join in?

I had my sleeve done in King's Hospital in Denmark Hill ( London ) on 16.07.11 by Mr.Patel. I'm back home for 4 days now. Still a bit fragile, my right side is quite sore, my back is making me very miserable and sleeping at night in my bed is a bit of an issue! I keep alternating between my bed and my armchair all night long. It's all to do with the ability to turn, which in my case is still very limited.

I'm NOT complaining, just saying how it is. My husband is providing a fabulous support, which helps a lot.

My first 2 days after surgery were a bit tender and pain control provided by hospital was very good. During that time I was encouraged to take sips of Water as often as I could. Bit of a struggle there on the second day. Problem with nausea, helped by meds. On the 3rd day I was given a cup of chicken Soup and a cup of tea.

Miam, miam....

I'll never forget taste of this first cup of soup. Best in the world, EVER.

I came home to a collection of: Soup in the Cup, Soups in tins, whey powder Protein and yogurts. After my first day on that menu I decided to do some experimenting.

- 2-3 carrots ( roasted, to keep nutrients in), few green beans(boiled), some chicken stock, black pepper and some dry dill. Blasted in the food processor and heat it for 2-3 min in the microwave.

- Cup in the Soup-mushroom flavor (mixed with water), few mushrooms (slightly fried), 2-3 wild dry mushrooms (soaked in a mug of hot Water for 2-4 hours). Salt and black pepper to taste, 1 tea spoon of Greek, plain yogurt to finish. Blast it in the mixer, microwave for 2-3 min. Miam, miam...

You get the idea I hope.

If the mixture is too thick, add some milk or water.

I believe that your stomach very quickly will let you know if your diet is good or bad for you.

I'm eating very small quantities and quite often. Lots of cups of camomile tea (suppose to help with a digestion). One thing I truly hate to take is FYBOGEL, but without it nothing happens in the loo! So I drink it, slowly. Orange flavor helps

I'm diabetic type1 on the insulin pump. Protein only diet is not really an option for me. Need some carbs to survive.

That's me so far.

Hiya .. ofcourse you may join in :-0 congrats on getting ur sleeve done and thank you for the recipe ideas.. im on my 7th week now and still on mushies , but on have just over a week till i can eat normal (as can be) food.. i do have trouble eating often. I use lactalose to sort out the bowl problem .. its very sweet i feel its better than fybogel... (yuk) lol... I will try camomile tea ..

regards laila

Thank you ...im really glad you have no regrets and are doing well. I just want my turn to hurry up x

Where are you having it done again.. ps i felt like that i just wanted it done..

I'm REALLY getting fed up with my baby food. Everything seems to taste the same!

Yesterday my hubby made 2 beautiful curry's. chicken and mushroom, too early for me to even try it. Potatoes, onions and spinach, quite spicy.

I smelled the aroma and decided to experiment:

- 1 "Beef Stock Pot" by Knorr ( pots full of concentrated stock, no additives, very tasty), greek yogurt, 1-2 table spoons of spinach curry.

Blasted in the blender (life would be impossible without it) and .... I had the most delicious with a defined taste, cup of soup!

Life is already looking better.

Hiya .. ofcourse you may join in :-0 congrats on getting ur sleeve done and thank you for the recipe ideas.. im on my 7th week now and still on mushies , but on have just over a week till i can eat normal (as can be) food.. i do have trouble eating often. I use lactalose to sort out the bowl problem .. its very sweet i feel its better than fybogel... (yuk) lol... I will try camomile tea ..

regards laila

One more note from me on that subject.

I went to a Chinese medicine practitioner shop and bought from it a small bag of loose sienna leaves.

No tablets, extracts or potions!

On shelves they have big jars, full of different, dry herbs which are being used by a practitioner to blend individual teas tailored to fit needs of particular client.

The tea has a very pleasant, mild taste. Effect is as close to normal as you can expect in our situation, I paid £1 for a gram or 2.

Where are you having it done again.. ps i felt like that i just wanted it done..

I will be having mine done at LRI as well as i live in Leicestershire...i was refered back in 2010 and got as far as the sleep apnea appointement got scared and pulled out, as at that point i was considering the bypass or the band and nether thrilled me to be honest in fact they scared me to death :-( i have done so much research on the sleeve i think its best for me and im slowing starting to think it may be the answer to my life long weight problem.

How long was your wait ?

You have done so well :clap2:

Lucy

Hello!

I know that taking this final step can be very frightening. I went through this process myself after all.

I started with an idea of having a band fitted. Band is so widely popular and well publicised today.

Fern from "This morning" and now medium Sally from "Psychic Sally: On the Road" (Sky Living) to just mention a few. All those photographs before and after...

For most of my life I struggled with my size and my self image.

All those hours I spend in the sport club, 3-4 times a week for 2 hours a go. All those classes I took jumping about, continuously looking at others comparing my

size and theirs... Sometimes I was successful more often I wasn't. At 32 I become a diabetic Type1 ( first ever in my family, I was size 14 at that time)

and 10 years later I developed Hypothyroidism. I was told that my immune system doesn't like me a lot and it's turning against me. More pills, more side effects

caused by taking different medications. Years of taking slimming pills, bought on the Internet or from dubious "medical" clinics. Years of yo-yo syndrome: on pills-

weight down, off pills up.

6 years ago I started using an insulin pump. Great help in keeping my sugar levels down but with growing problem of insulin resistance

pounds were piling again.

You can see, I hope, why I decided to do what I did. I'm now in to my second week after surgery. I feel better every day. My insulin doses are down from 100u-

140u a day to 30u-35u a day. I stopped taking Metformin SR 1500g a day and no more Statins, 40g a day.

....and this is only the beginning!

I have no regrets, I don't second guess my decision, either. It feels GOOD, it feels RIGHT for me.

I wish you all the best and I hope you make a right decision for you!