Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the hospital, ready for surgery tmw

Hey, everybody! How are you? Ready?

Well, it really didn't seem like the day would arrive but here I am, checked into a hospital in a mid-sized town in Austria. We lucked out and were able to snag a private room (for the big bux) and so that's a huge worry off my chest. I don't do well with others, like negotiating the shower and toilet sharing and tv volume and crap like that, esp not in a foreign language, and esp not after surgery and under pain meds. Ha.

Today they tried to place the main line catheter for my anesthesia, because my arm veins just collapse left and right. It shoulda been a 20 minute thing with a local but it turned into a 2-hour ordeal under sedation. They couldn't find a suitable vein at all. Woke up feeling like somebody had my right side crushed in a vise. They said I was really unique, and it was possibly due to my (mild, adult-onset) scoliosis.

I was so upset, just crying and trying to fight my way back out from under the sedation (it felt like being trapped in a looping nightmare dream)... I really, really, really, really hope the surgery goes better tomorrow. *sniff* Trying to be strong tho.

ybnormal & any other May 25ther I missed... Hope you have better luck with the anesthesia than me! I'm rooting for you. See you on the flip side!

Saying a prayer for you! Before you know it you'll be one week post op wondering where the heck the last week has gone :) You can blame it on the anesthesia though.

Holly

Good luck tomorrow! You will do greatsmile.gif

And yayyy for the private room. I like my privacy, toobiggrin.gif

Thank you! I'm all good now! The surgery was less painful than the main line ordeal! Ha.

Yeah, the surgery itself is really not painful. I had no issues at all except for the GAS. That was horrible!!

Welcome to the other side!! Best of luck to you!

Kelly :)

Thank you! I'm all good now! The surgery was less painful than the main line ordeal! Ha.

Ohhhhhhhhhh my gosh!!!!!!! I was just gonna send u a little good luck ur way from Jersey post, when I saw this!!!!!!!! Congratssssssssssss, it's all over!! Im so happy ur done! Good luck to ya ....... so glad the surgery went well :):):)

Glad the surgery went well!! Hope you feel good to get up and walk around as well. :)

Thank you!! Don't think I would have made it this far without you & all the other VSTers paving the way! You guys helped me realize that surgery is not a sign of defeat or weakness, but actually a serious, mature decision to get healthy.

I don't have bad gas pain (lucky me!) but the position I was in during the op aggravated my fibro in my neck & back. Pain meds are pain meds tho!

Another Austrian diff: no walking allowed. No Water. I'm not allowed to get out of bed til tmw and they have me on an IV for 2 days instead of drinking. After that, I bet even plain broth is going to sound like a dream come true :)

Glad that you are doing so well! No walking around?? Oh well, before you know it you'll be up walking out of that hospital so take advantage of the lying around time now. Take care!

Holly

GLAD to hear you are good now!

I am so worried about getting an iv because they always have so many problems trying for a sight. The least amount of times were 5!! When I told the nurse at my pre-admissions she told me to tell them when I arrive that I want the anesthesiolgist or their nurse to do it, not just the regular nursing staff. We will see. My surgery is 6/1 !

Hope you get better with each day!!!!

PrairieDawn (Dawn) :D