Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still in the approval process so Im a long way off from being pre-op, but I am trying to find out as much information as I can so Im prepared.

I know that in the first few months after getting the sleeve you have the liquid then soft food phases, but does it ever go back to really average things, just in small sizes? What about drinking alcohol?

Sorry, I'm being lazy so I'm just copy/pasting this reply from another post:

1. What is a daily meal like?

This answer has changed based on how far out I am, and what my goals were. During losing, I ate Protein, Protein, protein, protein and more protein. Pretty much Atkins diet, no more than 30-40gr of carbs until I hit goal, and was getting into maintenance. At almost 2 years out, I eat fairly normal. Last night for dinner, my almost 13 yr old son, and I shared a fajita for one dinner at a local Mexican place. I ate 6 tortilla chips with salsa, 1 small flour tortilla with about 1Tbsp of refried Beans, a smear of sour cream, 3 strips of fajita steak meat, and about 6 jalapenos. I tear off the rounded part of the tortilla once I folded it over, and I was perfectly content with my intake. I can eat 1 slice of medium thin crust pizza with toppings and cheese. Rice, bread, Pasta are now all slider foods for me so I do watch that intake, but there are not any foods that I can not eat. Pork settles heavy in my sleeve so I don't eat it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all. Saturday night my husband and I went to a local steakhouse for dinner. I ordered a 6oz sirloin (teriyaki marinade and dipping sauce) a loaded sweet potato (marshmallows and caramel topping), and mac-n-cheese. I ate 1/4 of a dinner roll before my meal arrived. Proceeded to eat 1/2 of the steak with extra dipping sauce (food lube Condiments makes meat easier to consume), half of the inside of the sweet potato, and 3 bites of mac-n-cheese. This meal experience lasted 1.5hours allowing me to eat a bit more without being "stuffed".

2. Is there anything you can't eat? Nopers

3. How much can you eat? It totally varies on the consistency of the food, the time I allow myself to eat. There are ways to cheat every weight loss surgery, and I know every single one of them. But, just because I know them doesn't mean I use them all the time. It's typically in social settings when I use those cheating skills. Grazing, eating super slow, stretching out my meal, sipping in between bites, allows me to eat a bit more, and not draw attention to myself. I attend A LOT of social functions, and no one ever questions my eating or lack thereof.

4. Can you drink diet soda? I've drank regular soda since being around 6.5-7 months out without issue. No change in my sleeve capacity, and without any effect on my weight. It's all about moderation for me.

As for alcohol consumption, it's wasted calories and I didn't indulge until I was at goal. The first glass of wine hit me hard and fast. I was drunk, numb lips, tingly face, and then sobered up about 20-30 minutes later. I am a major social drinker (well before pregnancy), and I drink all types of mixed drinks and wine. Not a beer drinker, but I indulge when I can. The only time it had any effect on my weight was last holiday season. From Halloween to New Years, we partied a few times a month. I drank and ate without care, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Over those 3 months or so, I gained 7lbs. Went back to my normal eating, and drinking , dropped those 7lbs in a little over a week. My alcohol tolerance is just like it was pre-op.

Sorry, I'm being lazy so I'm just copy/pasting this reply from another post:

1. What is a daily meal like?

This answer has changed based on how far out I am, and what my goals were. During losing, I ate Protein, Protein, protein, protein and more protein. Pretty much Atkins diet, no more than 30-40gr of carbs until I hit goal, and was getting into maintenance. At almost 2 years out, I eat fairly normal. Last night for dinner, my almost 13 yr old son, and I shared a fajita for one dinner at a local Mexican place. I ate 6 tortilla chips with salsa, 1 small flour tortilla with about 1Tbsp of refried Beans, a smear of sour cream, 3 strips of fajita steak meat, and about 6 jalapenos. I tear off the rounded part of the tortilla once I folded it over, and I was perfectly content with my intake. I can eat 1 slice of medium thin crust pizza with toppings and cheese. Rice, bread, Pasta are now all slider foods for me so I do watch that intake, but there are not any foods that I can not eat. Pork settles heavy in my sleeve so I don't eat it. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all. Saturday night my husband and I went to a local steakhouse for dinner. I ordered a 6oz sirloin (teriyaki marinade and dipping sauce) a loaded sweet potato (marshmallows and caramel topping), and mac-n-cheese. I ate 1/4 of a dinner roll before my meal arrived. Proceeded to eat 1/2 of the steak with extra dipping sauce (food lube Condiments makes meat easier to consume), half of the inside of the sweet potato, and 3 bites of mac-n-cheese. This meal experience lasted 1.5hours allowing me to eat a bit more without being "stuffed".

2. Is there anything you can't eat? Nopers

3. How much can you eat? It totally varies on the consistency of the food, the time I allow myself to eat. There are ways to cheat every weight loss surgery, and I know every single one of them. But, just because I know them doesn't mean I use them all the time. It's typically in social settings when I use those cheating skills. Grazing, eating super slow, stretching out my meal, sipping in between bites, allows me to eat a bit more, and not draw attention to myself. I attend A LOT of social functions, and no one ever questions my eating or lack thereof.

4. Can you drink diet soda? I've drank regular soda since being around 6.5-7 months out without issue. No change in my sleeve capacity, and without any effect on my weight. It's all about moderation for me.

As for alcohol consumption, it's wasted calories and I didn't indulge until I was at goal. The first glass of wine hit me hard and fast. I was drunk, numb lips, tingly face, and then sobered up about 20-30 minutes later. I am a major social drinker (well before pregnancy), and I drink all types of mixed drinks and wine. Not a beer drinker, but I indulge when I can. The only time it had any effect on my weight was last holiday season. From Halloween to New Years, we partied a few times a month. I drank and ate without care, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Over those 3 months or so, I gained 7lbs. Went back to my normal eating, and drinking , dropped those 7lbs in a little over a week. My alcohol tolerance is just like it was pre-op.

Thanks. I hesitated to ask the alcohol question as it seems to be a big no-no post surgery, and while Im not a boozer, I do enjoy my social drinking and would hate to give it up forever.

Thanks. I hesitated to ask the alcohol question as it seems to be a big no-no post surgery, and while Im not a boozer, I do enjoy my social drinking and would hate to give it up forever.

In my social group, I'm the "afternoon cocktail girl". Seriously, moderation is key for me. There is no reason to not indulge in alcohol unless you are worried about transfer addiction issues. Plus, I didn't drink during my losing stage because our livers are working double time and throwing alcohol on top of everything else it's processing is pretty unfair to task my liver even more.

I'm a party girl at heart. I love the bar/club scene, and refused to give it up just because I had my guts altered. Plus, dancing on tabletops is much safer at 130lbs than it is at 270lbs LOL ! ! !

I do eat anything I want just small portions. There is nothing that gives me trouble.

I don't drink alcohol by choice, but I have had it. I get drunk pretty quickly if I have a drink. Alcohol gets into the blood stream quicker from our stomachs being so small.

In my social group, I'm the "afternoon cocktail girl". Seriously, moderation is key for me. There is no reason to not indulge in alcohol unless you are worried about transfer addiction issues. Plus, I didn't drink during my losing stage because our livers are working double time and throwing alcohol on top of everything else it's processing is pretty unfair to task my liver even more.

I'm a party girl at heart. I love the bar/club scene, and refused to give it up just because I had my guts altered. Plus, dancing on tabletops is much safer at 130lbs than it is at 270lbs LOL ! ! !

I just want to add that I think Tiffykins should update her profile picture to include her dancing on the tabletops!! B)

I just want to add that I think Tiffykins should update her profile picture to include her dancing on the tabletops!! B)

That would be incriminating evidence, and heaven forbid my husband try to get a higher level of security clearance and they find those pics.

This is all such a relief to hear...I am on my pre-op diet but last night the girls wanted to get a drink after work and I had to sit with my cranberry juice and watch them drink sangria and have appetizers. And I had that moment of "oh God, this can't be my life from now on!"

I'm not a big drinker but I do really enjoy occasions where I drink socially. Someone recently posted something about alcohol being a stomach irritant though and people having leaks 6 or 9 months out from having it :unsure: Is that true? How many months did you wait?

This is all such a relief to hear...I am on my pre-op diet but last night the girls wanted to get a drink after work and I had to sit with my cranberry juice and watch them drink sangria and have appetizers. And I had that moment of "oh God, this can't be my life from now on!"

I'm not a big drinker but I do really enjoy occasions where I drink socially. Someone recently posted something about alcohol being a stomach irritant though and people having leaks 6 or 9 months out from having it :unsure: Is that true? How many months did you wait?

I call total bullshit on that one. Alcohol can be irritating, it can be too harsh on the stomach depending on what you choose to drink and how far out from surgery you are. BUT I have never, ever heard of anyone getting a leak mystically, magically after drinking alcohol. Afer 6-8 weeks, scar tissue has healed over the staples, and the risk for a leak decrease significantly. NOW, if there was pinhole leak that went undetected by medical professionals, then the patient continued to eat/drink I could see how that could happen. Most leaks are detected within 2 weeks, if not sooner of the original surgery. I've been on WLS boards for nearly 4 years, and every type of WLS patient from band to RNY talk about drinking vodka/cranberry juice or other non-carbonated alcoholic beverages. The skinny girl margaritas are pretty phenomenal.

I waited until I was over 6 months out only because I wasn't willing to take in the extra calories during my losing stage.

I am still in the approval process so Im a long way off from being pre-op, but I am trying to find out as much information as I can so Im prepared.

I know that in the first few months after getting the sleeve you have the liquid then soft food phases, but does it ever go back to really average things, just in small sizes? What about drinking alcohol?

You have gotten the best answer possible but I just wanted to say I love your username- check out my most recent You Tube video and you will see how I feel about sock monkeys! (link in sig)