Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off work??

Hey everyone, I am scheduled for a band to VSG revision on May 30th w/Dr Aceves. I am an RN in a really busy daysurgery unit at my local hospital.

It is really a hardship for them to let me off to have this surgery and (I know everyone is different) about how much time should take?? I work 3 - 8hr shifts a week and they are busy. No real heavy lifting...just running around, starting IVS and passing pain/antinausea meds. I have told them I needed 3 wks off, but am hoping to be back in 2...is this realistic?? I just feel bad for leaving them a little shorthanded.

Thanks for any advice....also, if any other band to sleevers want to tell me how much more they love their sleeve, I always love to hear it.

"TO THY OWN SELF BE TRUE" Those are words told to me many many years ago. I try to live up to them and allow them to lead me through life.

This is your time to be "TRUE " to yourself. Your job will always be hectic and short handed. I am retired from a group of surgeons' admininstration. You need to be selfish for your own health to be able to give your career you "all" in you new healthy future. Take what time you need. You will be ever so glad that you did. You will be settled and ready to give the job your full attention. You will be comfortable with your sleeve to the point that it is not on your mind when you should be concentrating on your patients. In the long run, everyone will be happy that you took time for "YOURSELF".

That being said, three weeks sounds about right. Take care of yourself, so you can better take care of others. You deserve it.

Valentina :cheer2:

Hey everyone, I am scheduled for a band to VSG revision on May 30th w/Dr Aceves. I am an RN in a really busy daysurgery unit at my local hospital.

It is really a hardship for them to let me off to have this surgery and (I know everyone is different) about how much time should take?? I work 3 - 8hr shifts a week and they are busy. No real heavy lifting...just running around, starting IVS and passing pain/antinausea meds. I have told them I needed 3 wks off, but am hoping to be back in 2...is this realistic?? I just feel bad for leaving them a little shorthanded.

Thanks for any advice....also, if any other band to sleevers want to tell me how much more they love their sleeve, I always love to hear it.

I was off for 2 Weeks , but my job is just sitting down and working on a computer. For the type of job you have, I would say take your time and take the 3 weeks off.

I have a desk job and thought 2 weeks would be plenty. Wrong! I ended up taking a total of 3 weeks off, and still had to take it slow when I went back to work.

Hello,

I am a fellow lap-band revision and I also had my surgery with Dr Aceves. I think the answer to this question is defferent for everyone. Some people are back in fighting form after one week. I took 2 weeks off and I ended up going home early every day in the third week because I was so tired I could barely hold my head up. I also have a desk job. I would say, to be safe, take 3 weeks off. You may be one of the lucky ones, but your life will suck if you have to go back to work and you are not ready.

BTW - the recovery with the sleeve is harder, but the results are SO MUCH BETTER. The restriction is consistent, no more port pain, the "full" feeling is diefferent and not as painful, and no more fills!!!! It was a great moment when I woke up after recovery and felt my stomach and didn't feel the port in there anymore. Awesome!

You may want to check out the band to sleeve revision topic on the board - it's off the main page if you scroll down.

Have fun in Mexicali---

Lara

I'm in week one of my two weeks off and would not want to go back (lots of walking here an there and everywhere) before2weeks. Even when I do return I know I'll have to make an effort to chill out and not expect to jump in full force.

From one RN to another, I work a very busy total pt care ICU. I took off 2 weeks, my first real heavy day was yesterday and boy was I whipped, but I also work 12 hr shifts and I think doing 8's in your area, you will be great after 2 weeks. I still get a pulling in my left uppper quadrant if I do too much bending over, but overall, am really back to normal. The stitches came out post op day 10 and wow, did that feel much better. I used hibiclens until the sites healed up just cause we are around so many bugs.

good luck,

kim

I won't try to tell you how long you should be off, but I will tell you my experience. I was only off 4 days. I spend about half the day at a computer and the other half traveling to visit clients in their homes. I was very weak feeling and had pain in my side where the stomach was taken out. I wish I had taken off longer than I did. My body was just not ready for me to be getting up and down and in and out of a vehicle. If you got the time and they will let you off, do what you feel you need to do.

Yesterday was my 2 week anniversary. I could have gone back today. If i had it would have been a mess. I was also the most sick today I've been since day 2 in the hospital w/ post op heaving. Use some judgement in terms of your relationship with your manager and how a setback would be handled. I was very happy to not be at work today. I was restless as all get out around the house, but so glad I was in my own bathroom.

Physically, it's not the issue. When I'm good, I'm good. But the bad is also bad. Low energy, nausea, and ready to space out the not have to think. I have a very high stress long hour big pressure job. That alone makes me thing I was nuts to do this. But I've been nuts before so maybe at least this time it will lead to better things.

So true that everyone is different but I went back after one week! I'm a dental assistant and work in a very busy office!!! I was only able to work half days for the first week back!! It is tough to go back early but it is possible! You have to look after yourself though! Good luck!

I went back to work 6 days post-op. I work in a busy highschool as an administrator and walk alot. I did take it a bit easier that week. I would say that I was pretty tired but okay. I think I would have been just fine at two weeks post-op and bored if I'd stayed home three weeks. However, I was just the sleeve without any revision. I'm not sure if that complicates recovery. Everyone is different though. Perhaps you can put in for three weeks and then surprise them with an early return if you feel well enough?

Good Luck!

Amanda

My doctor wouldn't let me go back before 4 weeks. She was pushing for 6, but I'm a teacher and that was just not possible - but I agreed to see how I felt and make a call. I'm headed back on Monday after 4 weeks. I battled with dehydration weeks 2 and 3, so I'm glad I took off 4. I have had hardly any fatigue, but I hear that is rare. It's major surgery. Respect your body. Take the most time your disability will allow - you can always go back early if you are feeling well consistently and getting in all your protein/water goals.

I went back to work after one week. After 8 hours of being there I was tired but excited to get back to my routine. Like most have said its different for everyone.

I can't comment at three days out as my outlook would be skewed by feeling a bit crappy!

One thing I will relate is that my doctor id no lifting above 5 pound for four weeks. That is pertinent to me as I carry a camera plus flash at weddings that is more than that. You need to know you wont be suddenly needed for lifting. Take 3.