Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to prepare for my upcoming surgery. What do I need to get to prepare?

Hi All,

I'm scheduled for VSG on June 7th and although it's a ways off, I want to be prepared for pre-op and post-op. I'm requred to complete a 3 day pre-op diet consisting of full liquids and then I'll be on those for 5 weeks post op as well. I've read so many great things on here but if anyone could point me to a list of things to get that would be great. If not, lets make one here. Vitamins, what kinds should I get? Should I begin them prior to my surgery? Most of you drink Protein Shakes, however, some don't. I'm not sure I understand exactly what Full Liquids are. Any help you can suggest so that I can be fully prepared for my surgery would be greatly appreciated. Tiffykins, I know you always have such good advice, do you have a list? Thanks to you all.

Hi! I am scheduled to have my surgery on June 6th and was about to post much the same posting as you just did. I would also like to know if my surgeon can write a script for the needed Vitamins so my insurance company will be responsible to pick up the tap for them. My SO is on coated aspirin and has his ins. co. pay for it bacause his cardiologist writes a script for it. Can't hurt. Every penny counts these days. I'll be watching your responses. Good luck on the 7th!!!;)

Hi All,

I'm scheduled for VSG on June 7th and although it's a ways off, I want to be prepared for pre-op and post-op. I'm requred to complete a 3 day pre-op diet consisting of full liquids and then I'll be on those for 5 weeks post op as well. I've read so many great things on here but if anyone could point me to a list of things to get that would be great. If not, lets make one here. Vitamins, what kinds should I get? Should I begin them prior to my surgery? Most of you drink Protein shakes, however, some don't. I'm not sure I understand exactly what Full Liquids are. Any help you can suggest so that I can be fully prepared for my surgery would be greatly appreciated. Tiffykins, I know you always have such good advice, do you have a list? Thanks to you all.

Full liquids:

Rolls off the spoon as milk would.

Has significant nutritional value (unlike broth).

Has no chunks or pieces. So you can use a creamed Soup, add some unflavored Protein power for kick

but you must strain it through a tight wire strainer so you get any pieces that could get stuck in your staple

line.

I plan a Soup per day as I am not a sweets person and almost all of this preop diet is sweet stuff.

Main thing I'd start researching is a quality unflavored Protein powder so that as you get creative not just with

liquids but mushies and foods, you can make anything the Protein quality you need. Or almost anything.

Pre-surgery I was only taking an over the counter one a day. Now I need chewable prenatal. The one they gave me is orange flavored and tastes horrible. So that's something I'll have to find in the next couple of days. I think I could live with the brand but the orange actually gives me heartburn.

Full liquids:

Rolls off the spoon as milk would.

Has significant nutritional value (unlike broth).

Has no chunks or pieces. So you can use a creamed Soup, add some unflavored Protein power for kick

but you must strain it through a tight wire strainer so you get any pieces that could get stuck in your staple

line.

I plan a soup per day as I am not a sweets person and almost all of this preop diet is sweet stuff.

Main thing I'd start researching is a quality unflavored Protein Powder so that as you get creative not just with

liquids but mushies and foods, you can make anything the Protein quality you need. Or almost anything.

Pre-surgery I was only taking an over the counter one a day. Now I need chewable prenatal. The one they gave me is orange flavored and tastes horrible. So that's something I'll have to find in the next couple of days. I think I could live with the brand but the orange actually gives me heartburn.

Thanks for the good information. I've also read about so many having to take an antacid. I've on occassion had heartburn but by all means do not have a regular problem with it. Is it a must that we begin taking some type of meds for it post op?

I've heard on here where people have blended beef and some broth and made a yummy shake. If that is done and then strained is that ok to have? Thanks again for the good ideas, please keep them coming.

Hi! I am scheduled to have my surgery on June 6th and was about to post much the same posting as you just did. I would also like to know if my surgeon can write a script for the needed Vitamins so my insurance company will be responsible to pick up the tap for them. My SO is on coated aspirin and has his ins. co. pay for it bacause his cardiologist writes a script for it. Can't hurt. Every penny counts these days. I'll be watching your responses. Good luck on the 7th!!!;)

My insurance won't pay since I have an HSA and my surgery is cash pay anyway. I wish you luck too with your surgery on the 6th.

when I took my nutrition class the nutritionist talked about a client of hers who made an "operation treasure box" filled with things she'd need during and after operation.

I took a shoe box and put a bunch of things (but not Vitamins becuase they don't fit).

1) gas-x strips. Very important right after surgery to relieve gas pains.

2) mouthwash strips. You wont' be drinking much the first few days and dry mouth can be a problem.

3) Bendy straws. Because I just like them. They make me happy. Also you tend to drink more from a straw than from a glass directly. At least that's been my experience.

4) Benefiber. A lot of people experience Constipation after surgery and something that can dissolve into Water is good to prevent that.

5) Milk of Magnesia. Should the Fiber fail to regulate.

6) 2 baby spoons. The nutritionist recommended eating very slowly in very small bites. The baby spoons help keep bites very small.

7) 2.5 oz stainless steel condiment cups and 3.0 oz plastic condiment cups. Nutritionist advised that once you're past purees into solid food, meals need to be kept at about a quarter cup in size, all Protein. The cups help measure that and make it look like less like a small dollop in a huge bowl.

For Vitamins I'm going to:

1) Bariatric Advantage chewable Iron. (take at least 2 hours after taking any Calcium. I'll probably take mine at night but it's forumlated to be easy on the stomach)

2) At costco I found this liquid multi Vitamin called "reviva". You take 2tbsp and it has about a month's worth of stuff. I plan to take that the first month and go to chewable Centrum or Bariatric Advantage after that.

3) Reviva also has a liquid calcium citrate. Same deal, 2tbsp has 1000MG of Calcium along with Vitamin D and magnesium if I recal right. It tastes delicious! like blueberry yogurt so I think I'll keep taking that.

4) and also chocolate calcium chews to take me up to 1500mg/day. it's calcium carbonate but I'm not going to be crazy over it. I've looked into it and citrate has some benefits over carbonate and carbonate has some benefits over citrate. I'll probably end up taking both.

5) High potency B Vitamin (tablet). this sucker has massive B Vitamins in it. I might even not need a full tablet everyday.

I also have bottles of something called Ocean Spray Energy drink. It's got a LITTLE cranberry juice but it also has B vitamins and energy drink stuff. At only 35 calories a cup it's a good thing to take right after surgery when you're just trying to get all the fluids you can.

(sigh) now I just need a surgery date. My surgeon is supposed to be really awesome but his office staff leaves much to be desired (but I knew that going in).

Let's keep in close touch and travel the last few weeks together. What do you say???

:D

My insurance won't pay since I have an HSA and my surgery is cash pay anyway. I wish you luck too with your surgery on the 6th.

Dawn of a new day thanks for the great list. I guess I wasn't aware that we'd need so many Vitamins. Since this is NOT a malabsorption surgery I didn't think we'd need to worry so much about vitamins. Is this mainly for post op as we're healing and because we may not be able to get all our nutrients via food in the first months?

Good luck, I hope you get your surgery date soon.

Mine will be in Middletown, NY at The Crystal Run Health Care. My surgeon is Dr. F. Hamdi.I had a total left knee replacement done there in March, so am familiar with the hospital and some of its staff. It's been a long stretch, but I think I am ready. How about you?:huh:

Sure, we can compare notes along the way. Where is your surgery? Mine is in DFW.

In the B Vitamins, aside from what you get in the multi- it is best to just do a B12- that Vitamin is not absorbed from food in the sleeve.

My list is

Muti vitamin- look at what is in a bariatric one from Bariatric Advantage or Celebrate and find the equivalent to two of them if you dont want theirs.

Calcium - carbonate requires more stomach acids than we have after surgery, so that is why the recommend citrate- you need 1500 mgs a day

B12- sublingual is advised- they have this at Trader Joes.

Those are the main ones- and you dont want to become low in anything as it really hard to rectify. The thing is, though this is not a malabsorption surgery your intake of food will be dramatically less, thus the need for Vitamins. I have heard that skipping this can really lead to low energy, exhaustion, etc.

I have also heard it is pointless to pic your Protein shake etc. before surgery as your taste buds change. I have a bunch of samples I will be trying in the next two weeks as I start my liquid diet tomorrow prior to my 5/9 surgery.

I have set of a box also- i have my vitamins, my magic bullet for pureeing food, my shakes, my shaker/blender, my crystal light if I want to spruce of the flavor of my Water, etc.

This place is a great resource and you will find threads everywhere to add more info. Good luck!

I am pre-op and have just recently started on Vitamins, not just cuz I am having surgery, but trying to become healthier. I am taking Calcium 1200 mg Vit D3 1000 IU Magnesium 400-600 B12 sublingual 2500 mcg. Biotin 5000 mcg Vit C 500 mg chewables. Multi-Vitamin.

I am fairly certain I may have been low in Vit D and Magnesium. It blew my mind how much Magnesium helped me immediately. Since beginning it, I haven't had IBS symptoms, Constipation, muscle tension, spasms, cramps, muscle twitching, eye twitching, panic attacks, general anxiety has improved, and more.

One of the symptoms of deficiency is chocolate cravings. I've started giving it to my daughter for PMS tension and cramping. I didn't mean to turn into infomercial, I was just surprised at what all it helps and it's cheap lol.

Regarding the bendy straws ( or any straws ) they are off limits in my program. They say that using straws takes air into your system and not only creates gas but fills space. Maybe a year from now they say we could try them again if needed but not for a good while.

I like to use straws when driving so I'll test them down the road but I'm going to trust them in these first months on anything they say can create gas. From what I hear, I'll be generating enough of that all on my very own without help.

I was lucky enough to receive my VSG surgery through the Veterans Administration. In order to qualify for the surgery I had to prove I could take weight off and maintain the loss for almost 3 months. Had the surgery on April 6th and have lost close to 30 pounds so far. Some people experience upper G.I. pain similar to acid ref. I tried several over-the-counter antacids. However, when they didn't work, my doctor told me he feels it was more of a spasm causing the discomfort. By eating slower .... really small bites .... sipping, not swallowing liquids in large gulps .... staying away from carbonated drinks (a no no), caffeine beverages (another no no) and eating creamed Soups (no chunks), I've been able to pretty much control the discomfort. Another way to avoid the g.i. pain is to sit or stand and walk as much as possible rather than lay down. Before you "buy" anything, you really should write down all those questions/concerns for your doctor. Although there is a wealth of information in this forum, none of us are professionals. With regard to protein.... I hated the Protein powder and switched to Slimfast (1-2 ounces) .... high protein with very low sugar and calories. I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal.

Dawn of a new day thanks for the great list. I guess I wasn't aware that we'd need so many Vitamins. Since this is NOT a malabsorption surgery I didn't think we'd need to worry so much about Vitamins. Is this mainly for post op as we're healing and because we may not be able to get all our nutrients via food in the first months?

Good luck, I hope you get your surgery date soon.

Keep in mind that even when you move to solid foods, you're going to be eating almost exclusively Protein for a long time. As your sleeve expands slowly you can start incorporating a few veggies and then starches, but still not much to go off of. VSG is not malaborption, but you're not going to have much nutritional variety to absorb in general. My nutritionist recommended VSG follow the Bypass Vitamin regimine, especially for B vitamins, Calcium and Iron.

She said the sleeve will expand as much as it ever will after 2 years and by then you should be able to get in enough variety to probably not need as MUCH nutritional support, but a quality chewable Multi-Vitamin is still recommended.

Hope everything goes well for you!