Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to prepare for my upcoming surgery. What do I need to get to prepare?

Regarding the bendy straws ( or any straws ) they are off limits in my program. They say that using straws takes air into your system and not only creates gas but fills space. Maybe a year from now they say we could try them again if needed but not for a good while.

I like to use straws when driving so I'll test them down the road but I'm going to trust them in these first months on anything they say can create gas. From what I hear, I'll be generating enough of that all on my very own without help.

Huh. No one's breathed a word of that to me. I remember being told not to use straws after having my widsom teeth out but nothing about the sleeve.

:( But I like my bendy straws!

I'll ask about that. I'm willing to give up soda for 2 years (which is what they recommend) but my bendy straws???

Hi all...when it comes to the use of straws, I have found nothing in the literature to either confirm or deny the claims that it is a 'no-no'. With our patients, we have not really discouraged the use of straws. As a matter of fact some patients find it easier to swallow liquids once they are cleared to do so.

I will ask around with my colleagues, and will do more research myself. Until then, everybody is to follow THEIR doctor's orders.

Best,

Dr. JSA

I was lucky enough to receive my VSG surgery through the Veterans Administration. In order to qualify for the surgery I had to prove I could take weight off and maintain the loss for almost 3 months. Had the surgery on April 6th and have lost close to 30 pounds so far. Some people experience upper G.I. pain similar to acid ref. I tried several over-the-counter antacids. However, when they didn't work, my doctor told me he feels it was more of a spasm causing the discomfort. By eating slower .... really small bites .... sipping, not swallowing liquids in large gulps .... staying away from carbonated drinks (a no no), caffeine beverages (another no no) and eating creamed Soups (no chunks), I've been able to pretty much control the discomfort. Another way to avoid the g.i. pain is to sit or stand and walk as much as possible rather than lay down. Before you "buy" anything, you really should write down all those questions/concerns for your doctor. Although there is a wealth of information in this forum, none of us are professionals. With regard to Protein.... I hated the Protein powder and switched to Slimfast (1-2 ounces) .... high Protein with very low sugar and calories. I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal.

What VA clinic did you go through? I am scheduled for the surgery on the 19th in Dallas